Help with Beahr Adjustments/Settings - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 1:52 pm Thread Starter

Question Help with Beahr Adjustments/Settings

I understand most the of the horribly translated user's manual for my Baehr system, with exception to the Noise and Auto-Volume settings

Noise
- For the noise setting, the Baehr manual says;
Now, the next 2 regulators: This picture shows the wind noises. If one helmet is in a streamlined flow (see left helmet) the wind noise will be equally constant and - in high quality helmets - rather muted. These conditions can mostly be found on ‘naked bikes’ or on bikes with minimal panels and small, flat windscreens. Under these conditions the intercom’s automatic can easily tell wind noise outside the helmet from talk within the helmet. In this case the best position of the switch will be between 8 and 12 o’clock.
Unfortunately, you will not find these ideal wind conditions very often with touring bikes.
The difference in height between driver and pillion seat is often quite significant. Sometimes the helmets are very unlike or the size and posture of driver and pillion is significantly different.
For that reason we have fitted 2 automatic units into your intercom, which work and adjust completely separate. Curly wind (see right helmet) creates an extremely loud and patchy noise that is slightly similar to human speech patterns. The ideal position for the adjusting switch is between 12 and 3 o’clock.
Lots of unnecessary words in there, but nothing that tells you how to adjust this setting. Do I turn clockwise if I have more noise?...thereby requiring a higher volume of my voice to make the intercom cut in? ...or counter clockwise for higher noise? Anybody know?

Auto-Volume - Regarding the Auto-Volume setting, the manual is no better. The manual simply states;
With increasing surrounding noise (higher speed) the transmission level of speech, radio and other signals, like incoming calls, must be adjusted to ensure a clear transmission. The Auto Volume Level does this adjustment.
Here you will find one regulator for the driver and one for the pillion helmet, so you can define a personal setting as to when this adjustment takes effect. If you turn the corresponding regulator to the left the adjustment is made at a lower noise level. A turn to the right decreases the noise sensibility.
There are some circumstances when no adjustment takes place, no matter which setting you have chosen. This does not mean that your intercom is broken; an adjustment is just not necessary. The 1.7m driver of a super-touring bike (let’s say a GL 1800 Goldwing) has such a huge encasement with front screen it simply does not make a difference whether he is driving 50 or 150 km/h.
How is auto-volume different from the main volume setting for the driver and pillion? In short, what does this adjustment do?

Thanks in advance,
Toolman

I wish I could think of clever things to say in my signature.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 12:34 pm Thread Starter

Red face Re: Help with Beahr Adjustments/Settings

Lots of lookers, but no help. Does this suggest that I'm not alone in not fully understanding the users manual in terms of these two adjustments?

post #3 of 4 Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 2:04 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

Re: Help with Beahr Adjustments/Settings

Been busy. Otherwise I would have responded earlier.

Start with all settings at 12 o'clock. If you are having problems with vox, increase settings to the right if there is a lot of wind noise. For less wind decrease settings to the left. You don't have to talk louder.

Auto volume controls incoming volume of inputs not speech.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy

post #4 of 4 Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 3:04 pm Thread Starter

Re: Help with Beahr Adjustments/Settings

Superb, thanks Raffy.
The noise setting seems pretty straight forward. But for the auto volume, considering that all of my inputs (the bike's radio, and my CB) both have their own volume controls, this setting will be of limited use for me..except for perhaps set a ceiling ( or upper threshold) volume level....so those inputs can't blast my ear drums out if they're turned up high.

Wish the manual would explain it that simply...instead of paragraphs of useless commentary. Thanks again,
Toolman

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in