Inexpensive Bluetooth Modular Helmet - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old Jun 20th, 2009, 8:35 am Thread Starter

Inexpensive Bluetooth Modular Helmet

Just saw this DOT approved Bluetooth helmet advertised on COSTCO's On-Line advertisement. Don't know anything about it but thought it might be interesting to someone looking for an inexpensive system to try out. You can cut and paste the URL, below, for picture and details.

< Previous Product | Next Product >

V-Can Modular Helmet with Built-in Blinc Bluetooth System

DOT Approved

$189.99
Shipping & Handling included *
Medium - $189.99 Large - $189.99 X-Large - $189.99
Qty:

The V210 Modular Bluetooth Helmet allows the rider to talk to

http://www.costco.com/Browse/ProductSet.aspx?Prodid=11484112&search=TreasureHun t0619&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Mo=67&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&Sp=S&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&N =5000043&whse=BC&ViewAll=68&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_C atalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=TreasureHunt0619&Ntt=Tr easureHunt0619&cm_mmc=BCEmail_422-_-FEATURE-_-3-_-TreasureHunt&No=35&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1& topnav=&s=1

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old Jun 20th, 2009, 9:10 am

Re: Inexpensive Bluetooth Modular Helmet

Hi, Lynn - thanks for posting this. Someone posted it earlier, about a week ago, and I couldn't seem to find that post. My friend Monte is interested, so he signed up with CostCo and is gonna check it out. Now that you've posted the link, I'm thinking of doing the same. Thanks.
post #3 of 24 Old Jun 21st, 2009, 9:23 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Hi, Lynn - thanks for posting this. Someone posted it earlier, about a week ago, and I couldn't seem to find that post. My friend Monte is interested, so he signed up with CostCo and is gonna check it out. Now that you've posted the link, I'm thinking of doing the same. Thanks.
Hey Dick, Your welcome for sure. Just be sure to let us know what you think of the product.

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 24 Old Jun 21st, 2009, 7:08 pm

Unless I can try it on before hand, I'm not will to spend money on it or join Costco just for the opportunity. Now to see if I can find one on the open market.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #5 of 24 Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 7:02 am

Smile Re: Inexpensive Bluetooth Modular Helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R
Unless I can try it on before hand, I'm not will to spend money on it or join Costco just for the opportunity. Now to see if I can find one on the open market.
Your usual type reply which adds nothing. Of course you may not know that they accept returns and give refunds. A lot easier than hunting for a dealer which may be miles away.

Monte
Kerrville
post #6 of 24 Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 7:47 am

I did a Google search on them

Click here: http://www.vcansports.com/v210-flipup.html

Different colours than black. Bluetooth ver 1.2 does that matter?

Garry

Follow my South America ride at

IBAID 26718
BMWMOA 117552
2011 K1600GTL RECEIVED April 30th, 2011 @ 1:30 pm
2012 RED KLR650

Last edited by garry_kramer; Jun 22nd, 2009 at 7:54 am.
post #7 of 24 Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 7:48 am

Wink Re: Inexpensive Bluetooth Modular Helmet

Good morning Monte. Glad to see you're still here to harass me about my thoughts on buying sight unseen.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

post #8 of 24 Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 7:52 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by garry_kramer
I did a Google search on them

Click here: http://www.vcansports.com/v210-flipup.html

Different colours than black

Garry
That is just the V210 modular helmet. You need to check Blinc Designs for all the graphics helmets. Too bad all the helmet designs are based on black except for the single pink unit. After riding home from Tampa this weekend end in 100+ temps, I'm going to rethink ever owning a black helmet again.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

post #9 of 24 Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 9:17 pm

I received mine today. It certainly looks good and it comes with a built in mic and earpieces and a bag. I have yet to try it on and see if it works as avertised. I expect to do it on Thursday. If i am not happy, I can return it to my local Costco, of which I am a member anyway...
I will post review...

Larry
2009 Deep Blue K1300GT
post #10 of 24 Old Jun 26th, 2009, 8:10 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrykay
I received mine today. It certainly looks good and it comes with a built in mic and earpieces and a bag. I have yet to try it on and see if it works as avertised. I expect to do it on Thursday. If i am not happy, I can return it to my local Costco, of which I am a member anyway...
I will post review...
OK Larry. So, have you had a chance to do some testing with your new helmet yet? Inquiring minds want to know!

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold

post #11 of 24 Old Jun 29th, 2009, 5:17 pm

I received mine Thursday of last week. Took a little time to aqquaint myself with all the features as the directions are not the best. However, I got all to work properly and paired my cell phone with the unit. Worked flawlessly. Ventilation is good and the sun shade works well. The helmet is not as quiet as I had hoped, but is no different than the Shoei Multitech I have been using. Saturday I tried to get Dick's I-Phone to pair up, but neither of us could get-r-done. Could not find a `15 year old computer guru to help us, but I am sure iit will with proper installation programming. All in all I am happy with the helmet and at the $190.00 price, It is a keeper.

Monte
Kerrville, TX
post #12 of 24 Old Jun 29th, 2009, 5:49 pm

Excellent Monte. Glad you like it.

One question for you though, how does it fit compared to the MultiTech?

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

Last edited by Steve_R; Jun 29th, 2009 at 5:56 pm.
post #13 of 24 Old Jun 30th, 2009, 8:17 am

Smile Re: Inexpensive Bluetooth Modular Helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R
Excellent Monte. Glad you like it.

One question for you though, how does it fit compared to the MultiTech?
I wear an XL MultiTech and ordered the XL V-Can so fitment is the same.

And Steve, no comments are needed on the XL size!!

Monte
Kerrville, TX
post #14 of 24 Old Jun 30th, 2009, 8:49 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the info Monte. I've been looking for something to wear while on the GS that will give me GPS audio and possibly phone. Sounds like this might be something to try. Guess I'll order one and give it a try. That'll leave the SCHUBERTH with the wired headset for exclusive use on the LT. Just wish they had something other than black!

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold

post #15 of 24 Old Jun 30th, 2009, 8:04 pm

None gonna be made. I've already made you mad once in this thread.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

post #16 of 24 Old Jul 7th, 2009, 8:29 pm Thread Starter

Re:UPDATE- Inexpensive Bluetooth Modular Helmet

So I ordered a V-CAN SPORT with BlueTooth from COSTCO and it arrived today. Other than the fact that it's only available in black, it's a nice looking helmet, fairly light, polycarbonate outer shell, removable inner liner so it can be washed and a built in movable sun shade that seems to work smoothly. I ordered an XL and it fits about the same as my SCHUBERTH and old HJC, both XL. Haven't had a chance to try it on the GS yet so can't comment on noise or other concerns. Overall I'd say the workmanship and material quality is about the same as my old HJC and I'd say that's fair to good.

The helmet comes with a single speaker installed on the left side and a microphone in the chin bar. The cell phone style battery fits in a compartment at the rear of the helmet and is accessable from the bottom edge by pulling back the liner. The helmet also comes with a 5v charger that plugs into a port in the battery compartment.

The Blue tooth device seems to work very well with my Moto RAZOR cell phone. Pairing the phone to the helmet is simple and straight forward. It worked well with voice activated dialing and the audio was crisp and clear on both transmit and receive. However remember this was kind of a simple static test conducted all in the house. Should get to try it on the road on the GS in the next couple of days.

All is not perfect however! My hope in purchasing this helmet was to enable me to get voice prompts from my SP2820 via the blue tooth link. Unfortunatly I haven't been able to get this to work. I can successfully pair the 2820 and the helmet however neither the routing voice prompts nor the output from the 2820 (MP3)audio player can be heard in the helmet. Also, if I pair both the 2820 and the phone to the helmet I can neither transmit nor receive on the phone although it indicates that it is connected. I tried a few other combinations like pairing both the phone and the helmet to the 2820 and again the phone was nonfunctional although my address book did successfully load on the 2820.
So, any of you computer/electronics wizards out ther have any suggestions on what I can try to get this thing to work. The advertising says it's supposed to be able to work with phone, GPS, and MP3 audio. It's supposed to give the phone priority disconnecting the other inputs when a call is received and then reconnecting the other sources when the call is terminated. Any suggestions will be appreciated

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold

post #17 of 24 Old Jul 10th, 2009, 9:49 am

Re: UPDATE- Inexpensive Bluetooth Modular Helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn_Keen
So I ordered a V-CAN SPORT with BlueTooth from COSTCO and it arrived today. Other than the fact that it's only available in black, it's a nice looking helmet, fairly light, polycarbonate outer shell, removable inner liner so it can be washed and a built in movable sun shade that seems to work smoothly. I ordered an XL and it fits about the same as my SCHUBERTH and old HJC, both XL. Haven't had a chance to try it on the GS yet so can't comment on noise or other concerns. Overall I'd say the workmanship and material quality is about the same as my old HJC and I'd say that's fair to good.

The helmet comes with a single speaker installed on the left side and a microphone in the chin bar. The cell phone style battery fits in a compartment at the rear of the helmet and is accessable from the bottom edge by pulling back the liner. The helmet also comes with a 5v charger that plugs into a port in the battery compartment.

The Blue tooth device seems to work very well with my Moto RAZOR cell phone. Pairing the phone to the helmet is simple and straight forward. It worked well with voice activated dialing and the audio was crisp and clear on both transmit and receive. However remember this was kind of a simple static test conducted all in the house. Should get to try it on the road on the GS in the next couple of days.

All is not perfect however! My hope in purchasing this helmet was to enable me to get voice prompts from my SP2820 via the blue tooth link. Unfortunatly I haven't been able to get this to work. I can successfully pair the 2820 and the helmet however neither the routing voice prompts nor the output from the 2820 (MP3)audio player can be heard in the helmet. Also, if I pair both the 2820 and the phone to the helmet I can neither transmit nor receive on the phone although it indicates that it is connected. I tried a few other combinations like pairing both the phone and the helmet to the 2820 and again the phone was nonfunctional although my address book did successfully load on the 2820.
So, any of you computer/electronics wizards out ther have any suggestions on what I can try to get this thing to work. The advertising says it's supposed to be able to work with phone, GPS, and MP3 audio. It's supposed to give the phone priority disconnecting the other inputs when a call is received and then reconnecting the other sources when the call is terminated. Any suggestions will be appreciated
I tried Monte's on a couple weeks ago at *$$, liked it for the price, orderd two of them. Mine works fine, wife's battery will not accept a charge so guess it will go back. I paired mine with my LG phone, no problem. But then tried the Zumo. It indicates it is paired, shows up in the zumo as 'Bluehelmet.' But no MP3 music. Not sure about spoken directions yet as I haven't had the zumo on the bike with the helmet yet. Sounds like there is a problem of some kind since I'm seeing some of the same symptoms with the Zumo that you are with the 2820. Awaiting a 12 year old's assistance......

Oh, btw, no directions with the helmet for changing visor. So I carefully pried the covers off and found a simple but weird and chinzy mechanism under there. But actually will be easier to change visors than my CL Max (if we can find a source for visors!)

Just old, clutchless and clueless
Russ Locke
Lakehills, Texas

Last edited by McRuss; Jul 10th, 2009 at 9:52 am. Reason: add info
post #18 of 24 Old Jul 11th, 2009, 9:29 am Thread Starter

I've been in touch with GARMIN Tech Support via email concerning my problem with getting audible turn direction and MP3 between my 2820 and the helmet. As usual they were very responsive, got feed back in less than a day. They had me down load software and firmware up dates for my 2820 but that was no help. I also emailed V-CAN Tech Support 4 days ago but still haven't receive a reply! So much for their "SUPPORT"!

Anyway, I remembered that I had an old Motorola HF280 hands free speaker phone and so I charged it up and paired it and my Razor cell phone with my 2820. With that combination all features work as advertised. I could originate cell phone calls using the address book on the 2820 and receive and transmit voice over the HF820. I then selected an existing route on the 2820 and was able to hear the voice prompts for turning on the HF820. Then tried the 2820 MP3 player and although, as you would expect, the sound quality was lousy I could hear the music on the HF820. Therefore, my conclusion is that the problem is with the V-CAN. So much for a bargain Bluetooth equipped helmet. Mine is going back to COSTCO this afternoon, hopefully for a full refund! Now it's back to the drawing board. I'm leaving Tue for the Johnson City MOA Rally so hopefully I'll be able to find something there that actually works.

Cheers

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold

post #19 of 24 Old Jul 11th, 2009, 9:43 am

Mornin' Lynn -

I didn't look at the vendor list for the MOA rally, butt if anyone is there peddling the Cardo Scala units, as well as the Parrot SK4000, take a look at each of those. I'm about ready to pull the trigger on the Parrot unit, based on results Doug Turner is getting with his. Prolly not 100% (dang, sure should be in these days and ages!!), butt my main concern is bike-to-bike and cell phone auto-answer and voice-dial. Good luck in your shopping!! And have a great time at the rally.

Quote:
I've been in touch with GARMIN Tech Support via email concerning my problem with getting audible turn direction and MP3 between my 2820 and the helmet. As usual they were very responsive, got feed back in less than a day. They had me down load software and firmware up dates for my 2820 but that was no help. I also emailed V-CAN Tech Support 4 days ago but still haven't receive a reply! So much for their "SUPPORT"!

Anyway, I remembered that I had an old Motorola HF280 hands free speaker phone and so I charged it up and paired it and my Razor cell phone with my 2820. With that combination all features work as advertised. I could originate cell phone calls using the address book on the 2820 and receive and transmit voice over the HF820. I then selected an existing route on the 2820 and was able to hear the voice prompts for turning on the HF820. Then tried the 2820 MP3 player and although, as you would expect, the sound quality was lousy I could hear the music on the HF820. Therefore, my conclusion is that the problem is with the V-CAN. So much for a bargain Bluetooth equipped helmet. Mine is going back to COSTCO this afternoon, hopefully for a full refund! Now it's back to the drawing board. I'm leaving Tue for the Johnson City MOA Rally so hopefully I'll be able to find something there that actually works.

Cheers
post #20 of 24 Old Jul 12th, 2009, 10:30 am Thread Starter

Thank's for the suggestions Dick. I think that either of those units that you mention would certainly give me what I'm looking for. And that is; something for my GS which doesn't currently have any communication hardware. What I'm really looking for is something that will give me GPS audio prompts and maybe a few tunes, either through the 2820 MP3 or an external MP3 player, to help me down the road. The phone capability is only a novelty for me. RETIRED don't ya know! Anyway, I need a new helmet for the GS and that's why I was interested in the V-CAN. It would have killed two birds, well you know. To bad it didn't work out. The Parrot looks pretty nice but I'm wondering how any of these units work out with Modular helmets? Looks like the microphone could be a little challanging to get it installed just right for best voice activation and clarity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Mornin' Lynn -

I didn't look at the vendor list for the MOA rally, butt if anyone is there peddling the Cardo Scala units, as well as the Parrot SK4000, take a look at each of those. I'm about ready to pull the trigger on the Parrot unit, based on results Doug Turner is getting with his. Prolly not 100% (dang, sure should be in these days and ages!!), butt my main concern is bike-to-bike and cell phone auto-answer and voice-dial. Good luck in your shopping!! And have a great time at the rally.

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold

post #21 of 24 Old Jul 12th, 2009, 2:58 pm

I don't have a modular helmet, but I just curl the Parrot mic up under the chin peice and tuck it up next to the left cheek pad. Folks I've talked to while using the Parrot can't tell I'm on the bike. There's a little background noise but not enough for them not to clearly understand me.

I bought a little A2Dp Bluetooth dongle from http://www.cubeternet.com that i plug into the audio output of my 2820. I then set the audio on the Garmin to headphones. I now get my XM (or MP3 in your case) AND the Garmin voice prompts via stereo in my headset. The downside to the dongle I have is that is only lasts for about 2 - 2.5 hrs. I can recharge it on the bike using a USB car charger, but that takes about an hr or so. If you want to go this route, look for a dongle that will last a little longer.

I like the way the V-Can has everything built in. It's a nice clean setup, but I personally like the flexibility of being able to move the headset to a different helmet if I want to.

BTW, I have my iPhone and the dongle thats plugged into the 2820 both paired to my Parrot. The Garmin functions as normal by interrrupting the music to give me commands, and if I receive a phone call, it is announced as " Call from Dick". I can then say "Accept" to take the call or "Cancel" and hang up on him. But Dick is such a nice guy I would never hang up on him! The music stops until after the phone call, then resumes.

The handlebar remote will control the volume and allows you cycle through Bluetooth audio, telephone, or radio - announcing each one. It will not control your MP3 player, ie, you can't skip tracks or pause. The 2 buttons on the remote only control the radio to allow station surfing. So, the remote has 5 buttons: 2 for vol, 2 to select radio stations, and 1 to change functions. If you want to place a call, you MUST cycle through the functions to get to telephone, then press a button to place a call. It will ask "Who do you want to call?". Wait for the beep and simply say, "Dick cell" and off it goes.

There are lots of good choices out there now. Good luck whichever way you decide to go.

'99K1200LT - "Bertha" - gone, but not forgotten!
'86 Concours - "Horse with no name" (under reconstructive surgery)
'06 K1200GT - "Road Rocket"
Marshall, Tx

post #22 of 24 Old Jul 12th, 2009, 10:29 pm

Re: UPDATE- Inexpensive Bluetooth Modular Helmet

Does this problem have to do with the fact that the helmet BlueTooth is only version 1.2 not 2.0?

Quote:

Follow my South America ride at

IBAID 26718
BMWMOA 117552
2011 K1600GTL RECEIVED April 30th, 2011 @ 1:30 pm
2012 RED KLR650

post #23 of 24 Old Jul 13th, 2009, 8:01 am

I don't think the 2820 is 2.0 Bluetooth. I haven't tried it with the Parrot, but I thought I read that the Bluetooth audio is only mono anyway and when it detects a phone Bluetoothed in, it expects a mic to be plugged in.

'99K1200LT - "Bertha" - gone, but not forgotten!
'86 Concours - "Horse with no name" (under reconstructive surgery)
'06 K1200GT - "Road Rocket"
Marshall, Tx

post #24 of 24 Old Aug 16th, 2009, 9:41 pm

I have not been able to get the Zumo to work yet, haven't tried their customer support but will. My LG phone works great though, even though I really don't need to make or get calls while riding. I bought two, will keep them and use them for the intercom feature. May fool around with a dongle like Doug has to see if I can bet Zumo commands and/or MP3 music. The helmet is a bit heavier than my HJC but not that bad and I do like the dark 'sun visor.'

Just old, clutchless and clueless
Russ Locke
Lakehills, Texas

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in