LT - Voice II Intercom issue - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Jun 8th, 2009, 5:19 pm Thread Starter

LT - Voice II Intercom issue

Last year I purchased a 05 LT. While I love the bike, I'm completely frustrated with the intercom system. I have J&M Elite series headsets for both helmets. The audio system (for radio, CD, MP3 player inputs) work flawlessly with the helmets/headsets. And I do comprehend the various settings for speed / vol control, vol control front & rear, audio component selection, etc. I have read up on and tried different mic volume settings as well.

I received 2 headsets from the previous owner, but had to replace the mics with J&M booms (he used full-face). I installed them in the Nolan flip-up helmets without significant problems. But since my wife only rides occasionally, I had limited opportunity last year to test out the intercom function.

This has been a huge pain in the xxxxxx!!!...

Last year we got them to work occasionally, but they seem to be intermittent, usually only working at lower speeds. I started trying them out again a couple weeks, and now I can't seem to get them to work at all. I even borrowed my buddy's helmets/headsets & cables from his 02 LT (suspecting I have one or more broke components) but had no luck either.

(Please note that I listen for the audio mute function to kick in, not just whether I can hear a voice. And I am aware that both headsets must be connected before turning on the system. And I'm not a complete newbie, as I rode a Venture with J&M audio/headsets for years without these problems.)

I am completely open to the idea of operator error (or you dummy!!...) feedback, but the frustration of this is hurting my "riding relationship" with my wife.

Any guidance here on what I could be doing wrong??? Or where to start looking?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Jun 8th, 2009, 6:58 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: LT - Voice II Intercom issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddss
Last year I purchased a 05 LT. While I love the bike, I'm completely frustrated with the intercom system. I have J&M Elite series headsets for both helmets. The audio system (for radio, CD, MP3 player inputs) work flawlessly with the helmets/headsets. And I do comprehend the various settings for speed / vol control, vol control front & rear, audio component selection, etc. I have read up on and tried different mic volume settings as well.
You mention different mic volume settings. Please tell me how to change this on the VOICE II. I found the setting for the VOX sensitivity for the mics, but I have not found a mic volume control and I have a problem that this might solve. Can you tell me how to change the mic volume on the VOICE II?

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 Old Jun 8th, 2009, 7:58 pm

maybe these will help
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	comm system.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	23356   Click image for larger version

Name:	comm system2.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	23357  

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #4 of 14 Old Jun 8th, 2009, 9:41 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBuffalo
maybe these will help
I have the entire manual, but I have yet to find any adjustment for the mic volume. What is shown on the second page you posted is the mic sensitivity for VOX activation, but does not seem to change the volume of the voice transmitted by the mic.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 Old Jun 9th, 2009, 3:26 pm

Looks like a pattern here. I have the exact same problem, with the same equipment. 2005 LT using the J&M elite headsets. I can hear the CB, GPS and CD/Radio just fine and can talk on the CB using the PTT button, but two way communication with my passenger does not work. I can talk to her if I use the PTT button, but nothing otherwise. She insists that I designed it that way. I hope someone can help out.

Gary Jepsen Ada, Michigan

2005 K1200LT

Previous Bikes
2003 Yamaha FJR 1300
2000 Yamaha VMax
1974 Suzuki GT750 LeMans (Water Buffalo)
1980 Kawasaki 440 LTD
1978 Yamaha XS500
1986 Kawasaki KLR 600
1970 Suzuki GT250 Hustler
1973 Suzuki RV90 Rover
1969 Suzuki TrailHopper
post #6 of 14 Old Jun 9th, 2009, 4:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddss
[snip]...I received 2 headsets from the previous owner, but had to replace the mics with J&M booms (he used full-face). I installed them in the Nolan flip-up helmets without significant problems. But since my wife only rides occasionally, I had limited opportunity last year to test out the intercom function. Any guidance here on what I could be doing wrong??? Or where to start looking?[end snip]
You sound pretty savvy and understandably frustrated so here are some random thoughts and rhetorical questions to consider/double check: 1) If you are not hearing each others speech (and the intercom is on), try turning the radio volume all the way down at the handle bars (so you don't blast out your ear drums when you do the next step), then turn up the volume of the drivers and passengers helmet speaker volume using the Voice II control knob inside the oddiments box - set it to 10 but be careful you don't blow out you ear drums there either. If you can hear the passenger speech set it to an acceptable level. Then go back and adjust the radio volume to an acceptable level. This will "balance" your inputs.

If that doesn't work: 2) Are the boom mikes you installed from the J&M Elite series? It is my understanding that the Voice II requires an amplified mic. 3) J&M Elite headsets require the "Z" lower cable (I have a friend who had a '2003LTE and purchased a '2007 LT. He had to replace his headsets and lower cords because they were not compatible with the Voice II. He was as PO'd as you). 4) Since the headsets are modular, have you done a continuity test on each pin of the lower cord and for each pin of the upper cord that connects to your helmet and then to connectors inside the helmet? I recall having a bad connection when I installed a headset in one of my helmets and it was because one of the two pin connectors did not make good contact because it did not snap together correctly. 5) Offer to buy a beer for anybody on this forum that lives close to you with an LT and a functioning Voice II com system. Have them plug in their helmet setup to your bike to see if it works. I hope you have success!

Jim S.
'07 SturmGrau K1200LT

ďNot all those who wander are lost.Ē

post #7 of 14 Old Jun 12th, 2009, 5:56 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies all !!...

First let me say, I mis-spoke when I said "mic volume", I am aware and did mean, the mic sensitive adjustment (relative volume at which the mic circuit kicks in). BTW - Its my understanding that the mic volume isn't seperated from other audio sources. But I could be wrong of course...

Second, I've typically tested the intercom function with another audio source playing because I find its more obvious when the intercom engages (especially since I'm usually talking to myself to test... ;^)

After originally posting this (out of frustation), I let my nerves settle and went through a "reset" process again in the garage...

As mentioned, I'm fortunate to have access to a friend's two complete sets of headsets, upper, and lower cords. His sets are from his sold 02 LT with earlier (BCx???) system. So while I don't know what model the headsets are, the cord (sets) are label Bxx.(Mine are Zxx; Z series)

First I plugged in and checked both my helmets... No go. So next I set all the intercom & audio controls to the 'middle' settings and attached his headsets and cordsets. Lo and behold I had intermittent functionality (based on how loud I talked). I raised the mic sensitivety and got fairly consistent behaviour. Great!!!!........

So I conected my headsets again; no go. Okay, maybe I can isolate... Connected his back up and started swapping individual components. Per that process, I at one point thought I had it narrowed down to a suspect boom mic (albeit new) on my wife's helmet. In the process of trying to confirm that (with more swaps) I reached a point where both my complete sets were working (again, we're just in the garage). Argh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!..........

So I still suspect I have either a flakey connection point or bad component somewhere (wife's mic..???..)

So I guess will have to see what happens on the next ride together... (& maybe take spare parts with me... ;^(
post #8 of 14 Old Jun 13th, 2009, 3:54 pm

If it were just your wife's headset, you'd still hear YOUR voice in the speakers in your helmet. My wife's lower cord went bad and she couldn't speak at all and would hear me most of the time. But I heard myself in my speakers just as normal/

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

post #9 of 14 Old Jun 15th, 2009, 9:47 am

All,

I'm Ed Davis, owner of EdSets, the 'alternative' headset company. We've been doing headsets for Wing owners primarily and some BMW owners, but the Voice II is a moving target.

To nail it down and be able to really do good design, we need one or more volunteers to help us with some info gathering. I understand the VOice II requires a 'powered mic' which in reality means a headset with a built-in microphone preamplifier to bring its 200-Ohm dynamic mic signal (about 5mV typical) up to around 100-120 mV before it reaches the Voice II mic input stage. Of course, this is only an educated guess. Neither BMW, or the company that makes the Voice II will share tech data, so we have to reverse engineer, which is ok, but difficuilt since I don't have a bike to test with.

A few of our customers are using our headsets with condenser mics but I think we can improve on that with a preamp system that plugs inline so you can use any headset with it, and not just the ones with built in mic preamplifier. This preamp scheme is also used on the Harley Ultra, which uses the identical mic found in J&M 'dual mode' mics, namely a 200-Ohm dynamic (moving coil/magnet technology) mic.

Matt was here with his lovely wife this weekend, and we tested several aspects of his bike, and found some odd behavior compared to other systems, and we're still looking into it, but bottom line was that while the mics did ok, they could do much better and we got a bit fooled by the VOX threshold. It only took about 15mV to break VOX, but signal levels of 5x that didn't give us enough signal to really improve things. The vox levels indicated a typical condenser mic signal level, but in reality, I think voice level signals should still be around 120mV or more.

If you can't come here, but have an oscilloscope, I can send you a test cable and you can make simple clip-on test with your system. Just plug in my test cable, plug in the headset and then connect the scope leads per my instruciton, and measure the AC PP voltage as you speak and basically that's all I need! NOTE: This has to be done with the 'official' powered mic from BMW or J&M.

SO, we're here in Dayton OH. If you own a Voice II on an LT and are willing to come by our shop for a few hours, we can make some safe electrical tests before final design of our preamp, and make sure what kind of signal levels the VII needs. We'll make it worth your trouble and you would be helping the community have another option for headsets for this great bike.

EdSets offers true high fidelity headsets with gold plated connectors, super durable long life cables, and studio quality microphones, as well as unique features like a 3.5mm input/output jack on the headset module, full modularity of all components, 2-year warranty and the best service imaginable.

We've always been a community driven business, and all our designs are 'approved' by the community before we produce them, and I'm looking forward to the same experience with the LT community.

We're in Dayton OHIO area, and look forward to hearing from several of you!

If you can help, here's my contact info.

Ed Davis, President
EdSets, LLS
2416 Passage Key Trl
Xenia, OH 45385
(937)271-4077
post #10 of 14 Old Nov 1st, 2009, 11:42 pm

Ed-

Did you make any progress with the LT/Voice II combination?

Thanks!

James Garner
Frisco, TX
BMWMOA #153642
2009 K1200LT
N5OOO
post #11 of 14 Old Mar 1st, 2010, 5:36 pm

Sorry for the long delay. My current info leads me to know that on some 6-Pin systems made or modelled to J&M specs are that the mic threshold needs to be as high as 1.5V!! to break vox. That seems insane, but nevertheless, my testing is repeatable. At lower sensitivity settings I'm breaking vox at 1.5v AC peak, and at high sensitivity settings I can break vox at half a volt. This is with J&M dyamic mics (their so called 'Dual Mode' mics, which are really 'dual use' depending on what they're hooked to: A Wing that needs no preamp for a dynamic mic, or a BMW, Harley, or Victory or similar (Voice II included) that needs a 'line in' mic signal level.) The mics Im using are the Aero Mic III and II. They are actually the same thing, same output levels, etc. Both are just a 200-Ohm dynamic mic. It's Marketing.

Bottom line, the mic preamp that is built into either the lower or upper cable or headset module (anyone know for sure?) is not hot enough to break vox if it's not hitting over half a volt as far as I can tell!

Ed
post #12 of 14 Old Mar 1st, 2010, 6:17 pm

Could it be that you have the mic sensitivity turned up so high that the voice cannot overcome that setting. Try turning it all the way down. If you can hear each other at the lowest settiing work up from that setting until the windnoise does not set off the mic.
post #13 of 14 Old Mar 23rd, 2011, 4:43 pm

Unhappy Re: LT - Voice II Intercom issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsetsdude
Bottom line, the mic preamp that is built into either the lower or upper cable or headset module (anyone know for sure?) is not hot enough to break vox if it's not hitting over half a volt as far as I can tell!

Ed
Ed,

What's the final solution for riders who upgraded bikes from BC3 to VoiceII, using the J&M mic & headphones? Do I need to replace my mic to make it work? If so what's the part number?

Thanks.

Greg

Airwolf - 2018 K1600GTL (planned acquisition!)
2005 Charcoal LT - 48K
2003 Antracite LT - 76K
2001 R1200C 24K
1999 Honda Magna - 5K (RIP)
post #14 of 14 Old Mar 27th, 2011, 8:46 pm

Ed,
PM sent

Realmccoy
07 LT storm gray
09 KLR red/black

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in