Intercom on a budget - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 8:23 pm Thread Starter

Intercom on a budget

I was wondering if anyone has an idea for an intercom on a budget. I like the idea of the Baehr com system or the Starcom one but can't possibly see spending that much for an intercom system. (I am saving up for my wedding in January.) Has anyone tried to use a hand held two-way radios for this with a boom mike and ear piece? Or has anyone been able to get the FRS Chatterbox system to work with a two-way radio for bike to bike communications. I am hoping to take rides with my fiancée more but she says that long rides suck for her because she doesn’t have anyone to talk too but I don’t want to be limited to just rider-rider.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 8:39 pm
Old Dawg

Re: Intercom on a budget

We tried Chatterbox and it was pretty lame. We are very happy with our Starcom Advance, just watch for some on ebay.

Scott
Sacramento CA
HDDC Posse

''03 Ducati ST4S with ABS - '12 KTM 500EXC - '19 BMW GS/A
(Jessica Focker's) '15 BMW S1000RR - '17 KTM 350EXC-F - '09 Yamaha XT250

Some of the most asinine things people do are typically preceded by the two words "Watch this."
post #3 of 21 Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 8:46 pm

In the past, before I installed the Autocomm system, and since I've sold it, I've been sorta interested in some of the items offered by Whitehorse Press. I ride 100% solo, and am just now considering one of the Cardo Scala units; maybe even the twin-set model and sharing half with a scooter friend. Don't know a lot about 'em yet, butt thought you might benefit from including them in your shopping mode. Good luck.

post #4 of 21 Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 9:01 pm

Here is another option http://www.benchmarkhelmets.com/prod...bts-series_52/

BIGHOPPER (Phil)
BGB 602
2016 R1200RT LC Purchase March
2003 R1150GSA Black Beast (purchased Nov 2011- 32,372klms)
2006 K1200LT Grey
(Purchased 2008, 7,350 mls) Trade in on 2016 RT at 80,600miles
1975 Norton John Player Replica (Sold When I got Married)
1973 Norton Interstate
1965 Atlas 750
1971 Triumph Trail Blazer(Rode from London to Sydney Aust, no maps for that)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 21 Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 11:06 pm

I bought a previously owned autocom set up off this board. It works well and the customer support is the finest in the free world...Thanks Dick. Post up a wanted thread and someone will have something you can use

If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand--Milton Friedman
post #6 of 21 Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 7:23 am

Cardo Systems, Scala Rider Q2 Multiset. Works full duplex rider/pillion, connects to cell phone via bluetooth, (the other half of your cellular conversation absolutely has no clue you are not talking to them from your armchair at home, let alone going 75 mph down the slab with a crosswind). Voice dialing? I have always been able to get it to work and I think any difficulties I've had are my own and not the units. Talk time? a L O N G time! Lasted all but less than the last 30 mins of a 13 hr ride. Seems like we yakked non-stop! You can link to a 3rd set. If you have a passenger and a buddy on another bike you can talk to all of them via bluetooth. Charges up quickly, lasts a long time!

The only disappointment? The plug in port for your MP3 device is non-amplified which is both good and bad. Using the port will not run down your battery because there is no amplifier. The bad news? You can't hear it if you are going faster than 5 mph.

Installation is simple and quick. Unscrew/pop out the padding in your helmet, attach the unit to the underside rim of your helmet, run the wires, put back the liner and hit the road.

Good product, good value

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #7 of 21 Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 8:33 am

If you want a good budget intercom take a look at the Motocomm unit. It comes with every connector you''ll need to to connect up phone, 2-way, GPS, or pretty much anything else you might want to connect. For a low cost setup, it works really well.

'99K1200LT - "Bertha" - gone, but not forgotten!
'86 Concours - "Horse with no name" (under reconstructive surgery)
'06 K1200GT - "Road Rocket"
Marshall, Tx

post #8 of 21 Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 8:50 am
Lifetime Supporter

+1 on Starcom. I looked and looked but ended up with the Starcom Advance. Everything lower priced didn't seem to function well. My wife is very happy with it. Has auto mute for music when talking attached to Zumo 550 have voice directions and cellphone access with voice dial. It is amazing. Good luck on your search.

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold
post #9 of 21 Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 7:59 pm

Wife and I just installed the Scala multi Q2. Easy install, great intercom, BT cell pair easily and will pair with BT GPS and prioritize while in use. $250 and love it. Don't know about durability as we just received them last week and used for a 600 mile ride.
post #10 of 21 Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 9:32 pm

I bought the Scala Rider Teamset (not to be confused with the Q2 Multiset) thinking it was the Q2. Pretty disappointing. The functions work OK, but very hard to hear. Volume not very good. First set had terrible crackling problem. To Cardo's credit, I sent the units in and everything came back new. Crackling was gone, but volume was no better. Other problem is that you really have to yell to activate the VOX. Can be annoying. Wish I would have paid the extra for the Q2.

2001 Pacific Blue K1200LT
1994 Yamaha Virago 750
post #11 of 21 Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 11:45 pm

I've been running a Intaride unit over 4 years.. perfect. Love it.
post #12 of 21 Old Jun 4th, 2009, 7:25 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfell
I've been running a Intaride unit over 4 years.. perfect. Love it.
I'll 2nd Channing's comments. I think I have the same RP-1 unit that he has, I am the 2nd owner. Very basic, but very functional. The new Intarides are well under $500.00 and have more options than the RP-1.

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #13 of 21 Old Jun 7th, 2009, 8:45 pm

On the Scala's, I wear a helf helmet during daylight hours. Will people still be able to understand me with that unit and a half helmet? Thanks

05 LT
Marine Engineering Officer
US Army
post #14 of 21 Old Jun 7th, 2009, 8:53 pm

Our Scala will struggle with higher speeds. This would be say 55 mph and higher.

If you sport a full face it increases it's capability.

Otherwise, my wife and I are very happy with the unit. We bought the pair as our Christmas gift to each other.
post #15 of 21 Old Jun 7th, 2009, 11:58 pm

I have the set of 2 that sells for just under $400. I wear a modular helmet and sometimes ride with the chin guard up. Nobody seems to be sble to tell the difference. Even at 70 mph. They repeatedly say it sounds like I am sitting st home.

Very happy with the unit. Only disappointment is that when you plug your MP3 player into the system it is not amplified.

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

post #16 of 21 Old Jun 10th, 2009, 1:43 pm

Garage
Thumbs up Re: Intercom on a budget

I just got the Scala Rider Q2 Multiset and so far I really like it. It works well rider to rider (and it would be the same bike to bike) and to the cell phone is very good quality. Callers tell me it sounds like I am at home. The volume control is excellent and after I repositioned the speakers to be up against my ears I get very good volume from the system. It does have a built in FM receiver that I was hoping would work with my XM radio with modulator but I have not been able to pick up the SkyFi 3's signal.

I purchased this two set pair from Amazon for $250 with shipping. Can't beat that deal.

< - - - Norm Ruest - - - >

South Florida

2000 K1200 LTC Canyon Red
MOA# 145086

“Its unexplained, because they haven’t explained it. Maybe they could explain it, but they've tried and they can't, because it's unexplainable.” - Ruest
post #17 of 21 Old Jun 11th, 2009, 7:39 pm

SO and I just returned from VA Beach. Great trip. The Scala Multi Q2 worked great at speeds up to 80?+ The cell BT works well. For < $250 you can't go wrong. I had a problem with charging the first unit and received a replacement in 3 days. Great CS. Haven't paired with GPS yet.
post #18 of 21 Old Jun 18th, 2009, 1:27 pm

So I'll ask the stupid question. Did you guys purchase the Scala Q2 because you did not want to invest in headsets for the stock BMW system? I have an '05 that has the built in system, but the price of new helmets and headsets is way out of my price range for now. I have the Chatterbox GMRS X1 I bought used, but I can't get the thing to work. I've tried looking for a manual, no luck. Anyone have success with the Chatterbox or should I just junk it? Thanks.
post #19 of 21 Old Jun 19th, 2009, 7:15 am

Rock,

I bought the Scala system because my LT is the C-model hence no comm system.

The BMW comm system price was WAY too expensive as were the other wired systems available on the net.

The obvious option for me was to look for an aftermarket system with the features I felt were most important and give it a try.

One thing I should mention is that I ride 2 up less than 25% of the time. The Scala system has all the features I need and with the exception of the MP3 input (not amplified) the system is great.

The bluetooth phone operation can't be beat. It is phenomenal!

You should be able to find a manual for your chatterbox on the company website. If not, take a deep breath and try to reach their customer service. (Not a comment on Chatterbox just CS in general)

Hope this helps.

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

post #20 of 21 Old Jun 19th, 2009, 3:20 pm

Thanks Loren. I appreciate the comments. I may give the Scala a try since I do about the same percentage or less 2 up riding. My LT is my main commuter with the occasional weekend rides with the SO. After the recent Cambria trip, my wife said it would have been a perfect trip with the exception of being able to communicate. But I will try to get the CS working first of course.

Thanks again.
post #21 of 21 Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 11:43 pm

Newbie to the site, with a very recently acquired 2002 R1150RT. I have lots of questions, please bear with me...

I wear a modular helmet, virtually always ride chin bar locked. I have not seen a single picture of the Scala Rider attached to that type of helmets... wonder if that would work.

All pictures I see have 3/4 helmets on them and the nice mike boom in a very natural position. With the modular helmet, I don't really understand where the boom would be. Outside the chin bar? Inside the chin bar?

Feels uncomfortable - and that it would be more natural to just have a mike inserted into the chin bar (with velcro) without the boom, pretty much like the earpieces are. Is that available?

Also, I'd like to combine that with an "entertainment center" - MP3, XM/FM radio, and or course mobile phone. Has anyone brought all that "under one roof"?

Thanks!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in