Shoei Multitec microphone install - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old May 7th, 2009, 9:47 am Thread Starter

Shoei Multitec microphone install

Okay, we've hit a wall here and a search didn't show any similar problems.

We have two of the Shoei Multitec helmets, and a couple of the Autocomm type B helmet speaker and microphone setups.

Speakers went in with no problem, but we're stuck on the microphone install. We've tried a number of configurations, and none have been satisfactory.

First, the Multitec is noted for having a microphone hole all cut out in the chin piece, ready for simple insertion of the mike. It seems like a good idea, but when wearing the properly-fitted helmet the hole for the mike is a full inch lower than the mouth. If that weren't bad enough, there is no apparent way to get the mike into the hole without taking apart the helmet or possibly cutting the mike wire and then soldering it back together after insertion. All of which would be do-able, but we'd still end up with an improperly-positioned microphone which wouldn't trigger on the sound of our voice.

Okay, not knowing all of this, we removed the "boom" from the mikes and tried the install by putting tape over the hole and then velcroing the mikes to the tape in the correct position relative to our mouthes. This worked so-so, in that the wiring to the mike had to be taped along its entire path, and the mike would periodically come loose from its velcro mooring.

Now we're at the point of fabricating new booms with some stiff wire and some heat-shrink tubing, and installing the mikes as one would in a 3/4 helmet.. with the boom in front of the mouth. We assume we'll completely ignore the hole the mike is supposed to fit into. This seems a shame, as it would seem like it would be such a nice and clean install if that hole could be used.

I've seen postings by others with Multitecs saying how the hole is in exactly the correct position, and all I can do is scratch my head.

So, before we attack the problem once more, creating new booms and abandoning the idea of using the Shoei mike hole, does anyone have any insights they might share as to where our understanding of all of this is flawed?

BTW, we love the Multitecs, although I'd be interested in a regular full-face Shoei now that I've realized that a geezer can wear contacts. I was stuck with glasses, which is why I went for a flip-up in the first place. But that's all an aside. We own the Multitecs now, and it will be a few years before we'll want to replace them ($$$), so need to solve this problem somehow.

Thanks for listening to my rambling. It's early for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old May 7th, 2009, 11:17 am

Re: Shoei Multitec microphone install

Same set-up as you... ONLY....

I reviewed the hole and mic thing... Just said NO!

On my install, the boom portion of the mic fits between the outer shell and the inner cheek piece. It extends about 2.5 inches out from the edge of the shell. It does not sit in front of my mouth, but just to the left. And it works perfectly. It's not in my way, I get great Xmit on a GMRS and onboard X-talk is superb. Even at hi-way speeds, I can hear the SO telling me to slow down.

I have no idea what others have done, I just know that I looked at the config, said no to major alterations to the bucket and the mic. It's been flawless for over a year now.

You might want to reconsider how your installing your mic...

Uncle Mark

BMW '06' 1200LT "Wild Blue"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BMWMOA Member #127457
Honda CX500 Custom - RIP '00'

"An intelligence agency that FEARS intelligence? Historically, not awesome." . . . From what movie?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 12 Old May 7th, 2009, 11:28 am Thread Starter

Thanks UncleMark,

Yes, I think so too. I found another thread somewhere that talked about complete helmet disassembly, torque values for reassembly, etc. Doesn't seem like a great idea when dealing with the device protecting our brain. We haven't changed anything structurally on the helmets. We've just taped wires here and there, and the usual popping on and off of the cheek pads, etc.

Even with the mike touching my lips, I find that I sometimes have to speak up significantly or it cuts in and out. I'm thinking maybe the noise detector isn't positioned optimally either. It seems to be in the position they suggest, and I can't think of any better place for it, but still isn't quite dialed in. I guess it's time to finalize the boom mike setup, and then adjust the Autocomm and see if I can get that trigger level just where it should be. Again. This seems to be a moving target.

Thanks again!
Bob

post #4 of 12 Old May 7th, 2009, 2:13 pm

Bob

There are helmet fitting guides at http://www.autocom.co.uk/index.php?autocom=brochures which may help.

Regards

Graham Wintersgill
On the bonnnie bonnie banks of Loch Lomond

2001 K1200LT

1995 K75RT now deceased
post #5 of 12 Old May 7th, 2009, 2:52 pm

I'm following this one with interest. I recently installed speakers and a boom mic inside my Shoei Multitec. Speakers are fine, but I'm not happy with the boom mic as it's just too close to my lips...and even touching them often (which dirves me crazy). I was thinking of using the surface mounted mic instead, but am at a loss for how to route the wires such that there is no interference when I raise/lower the chin bar.

I wish I could think of clever things to say in my signature.
post #6 of 12 Old May 7th, 2009, 2:58 pm
Gold Supporter

I sent both my Shoei and HJC Carbon off to J & C to have them do the install of the head sets. Both helmets have the mic sitting low and left of my mouth. When I questioned it, they said it keeps the mic from opening while breathing and the sound quality is better without my breath passing by the mic as I talk, not to mention coughing and the stuff that produces . Turns out they were right. Sounds much better than my previous helmet that had it right in front of my lips.

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #7 of 12 Old May 7th, 2009, 3:41 pm
Just ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleMark
Same set-up as you... ONLY....

On my install, the boom portion of the mic fits between the outer shell and the inner cheek piece. It extends about 2.5 inches out from the edge of the shell. It does not sit in front of my mouth, but just to the left. And it works perfectly. It's not in my way, I get great Xmit on a GMRS and onboard X-talk is superb. Even at hi-way speeds, I can hear the SO telling me to slow down.

I have no idea what others have done, I just know that I looked at the config, said no to major alterations to the bucket and the mic. It's been flawless for over a year now.

You might want to reconsider how your installing your mic...
Ours are done the same way, with very good results. The only down side is that after a few years of use the tubing on the boom will wear from opening and closing the helmet. That is also after over two years of almost daily use. I haven't repaired mine yet, but even with the tear it still functions fine.

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

post #8 of 12 Old May 7th, 2009, 6:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewuff
it keeps the mic from opening while breathing
Yep... The way I have it set up now is that it comes on when I'm doing my karaoke thing... Drives the SO nuts...

Uncle Mark

BMW '06' 1200LT "Wild Blue"

BMWMOA Member #127457
Honda CX500 Custom - RIP '00'

"An intelligence agency that FEARS intelligence? Historically, not awesome." . . . From what movie?

post #9 of 12 Old May 7th, 2009, 11:44 pm

Quote:
Yep... The way I have it set up now is that it comes on when I'm doing my karaoke thing... Drives the SO nuts...
Don't forget who the ORIGINAL Vox-Ox was, and still is...

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #10 of 12 Old May 8th, 2009, 11:54 am Thread Starter

Thanks everyone!

Fortunately we have a couple of other helmets to use in the meantime, which, since it's 70F and sunny, means now.

Appreciate the hints, links and ideas! Will bounce this off my wife a bit and see what we come up with.

Wish these manufacturers would all get together and design these things to actually work with one another. <grin>

Thanks again!
Bob
post #11 of 12 Old May 8th, 2009, 2:09 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Bob,
Just one other thought. You didn't mention it, but I assume you've experimented with the VOX sensitivity setting? In addition to mike location, that can make a difference and the sensitivity will vary with the amount of ambient noise, natural volume of your and SO's voices, etc.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #12 of 12 Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 5:07 pm

Quote:

On my install, the boom portion of the mic fits between the outer shell and the inner cheek piece. It extends about 2.5 inches out from the edge of the shell. It does not sit in front of my mouth, but just to the left. And it works perfectly.
+1 on this setup. I did the same thing, considered trying to put the mic on the chin piece, but got stuck on how to run the wires so that they wouldn't wear or get chopped up. Finally decided to just stick with the boom, and the result works perfectly.

There's enough flexibility in the boom to push it out of the way to eat or drink when the chin piece is raised, no problem. And it doesn't get in the way at all when closing the helmet.

One tip: use a little rubber cement when inserting the boom into the helmet. It doesn't take much adhesive to lock this down nice and tight, but because it's just rubber cement you can always pull it out later and rub off the glue when you need to get a new helmet.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in