Getting rid of the boom mic - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old May 4th, 2009, 12:15 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up Getting rid of the boom mic

My wife and me use open face helmets and cheap bluetooth intercoms that are fixed (slip onto) a "universal helmet fitting" at the intercomīs base. This base is fixed to the helmet by means of an adjustable clamp.
As the boom was always bothering (getting stuck on the clothing or hair) when getting the helmet on or off, I decided to make some changes in the layout of the intercom.

First thing was to get rid of the parts that made the base of the system "Universal" and turning it custom!
I looked for the best position of the base and riveted it to the helmet.
Second was to remove the mikeīs boom: I was just matter of opening the compartment (at the base) were this boom was attached to, to cut it off and to unsolder the mikeīs cables.
Then I disassembled the other end of the boom where the mike itself was concealed. Cables were carefully unsoldered and replaced by a longer (bipolar + mesh) cable.
Having read that on certain top quality helmets the mike is located on the border of styrofoam on top of the helmetīs opening (just behind the upper part of the visor) i decided to place the mike there.
Carefully I removed the woven material that covers the styrofoam and made a hole (approx 10 x 10 MM) with the tip of the hot soldering iron.
I placed the mike in the new position and applied Holt-Melt glue to keep in position. Cable was passed from her to the base hiding it under the rubber sealings the helmet has (there is plenty of space) and soldered it to the connectors at the base.
After placing the woven material back, the helmet was ready to use.
The results are really great: no messy booms any more, no more concerns when donning the helmets, and MUCH LESS WIND NOISE!

There's one way to find out if a man is honest - ask him. If he says, "Yes," you know he is a crook.
Groucho Marx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old May 4th, 2009, 12:27 pm

Re: Getting rid of the boom mic

Sounds like a great solution. In fact, this is something I was going to work on tonight. I would love to see some pics of the final product.

I recently installed speaker and boom mics in two flip front helmets (mine-Shoei Multitec and little lady's-HJC IS-MAX)...and I REALLY don't like the boom mic setup in my Shoei Multitec. As you said, you always have to be mindful of it when donning/removing the helmet, rasing and lowering the chin bar, etc. However, in my case, the biggest irritant is that the mic touches my lips and it drives me absolutely CRAZY.
I try to push it further into the depression of my flip front helmet's chin bar, but nothing seems to help. So tonight, I was going to try installing the surface mounted mic instead....and creatively routing the wires such that they don't interfere with the hinged operation of the flip-front helment. Wish me luck.

I wish I could think of clever things to say in my signature.
post #3 of 6 Old May 4th, 2009, 12:56 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolman
Sounds like a great solution. In fact, this is something I was going to work on tonight. I would love to see some pics of the final product.

I recently installed speaker and boom mics in two flip front helmets (mine-Shoei Multitec and little lady's-HJC IS-MAX)...and I REALLY don't like the boom mic setup in my Shoei Multitec. As you said, you always have to be mindful of it when donning/removing the helmet, rasing and lowering the chin bar, etc. However, in my case, the biggest irritant is that the mic touches my lips and it drives me absolutely CRAZY.
I try to push it further into the depression of my flip front helmet's chin bar, but nothing seems to help. So tonight, I was going to try installing the surface mounted mic instead....and creatively routing the wires such that they don't interfere with the hinged operation of the flip-front helment. Wish me luck.
To prevent it from touching my lips ( which I also hated!!!) i pointed the boom up once I had the helmet on ... but then it rubbed against my cheek (something I soon learned to hate tool!)

My wife never gave a s..t about the boom always leading to discussions. Hers was always crooked, bent or even not working. After the changes I described, there is one reason LESS for arguing (not a minor issue!!!)

Tonight Ill take some picīs and see how I can attach them to the thread

Regards, and good luck!

There's one way to find out if a man is honest - ask him. If he says, "Yes," you know he is a crook.
Groucho Marx

Last edited by neurodoc; May 4th, 2009 at 1:02 pm.

post #4 of 6 Old May 7th, 2009, 8:43 pm Thread Starter

Well, here are the promised pictures:
#1 shows the docking port of the intercom. On the back of the port is the clamp that is fixed to the helmet adjusting 2 allen screws. Between both loudspeakers is the intercom itself (it adjusts to the port by a sliding movement)
#2 after removing the clamp and the boom from the docking port, I used a two sided adhesive tape from 3M to fix it to the helmet. Drilled 2 (4 mm) holes trough the base and the helmet and riveted both parts together.
#3 Shows the microphone in its new position.
#4 In order to increase the communication time I fixed a external battery to the helmet (also used 3M's tape) The external batt feeds the intercom trough the intercom's loading port. I made a "Y" connection in order to load both batts at the same time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	22934   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	15.9 KB
ID:	22935   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	22936   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	22937  

Groucho Marx
post #5 of 6 Old May 7th, 2009, 9:34 pm

I know this is probably off topic a little, but any body ever tried the throat mikes like the special ops and swat guys use? I've already removed the speakers in preference for fitted ear buds.
post #6 of 6 Old May 9th, 2009, 2:01 pm

Throat mikes do not work, moving the mike to the front of the helmet, side or top really does not work either. the mike needs to be in front of your mouth for the noise cancellation to work and for the vox to activate properly. If you are riding behind a barn door windshield things may seem like they are working now. On a day with a strong side wind one will find that all is not well......... Kieth

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in