My wife and me use open face helmets and cheap bluetooth intercoms that are fixed (slip onto) a "universal helmet fitting" at the intercomīs base. This base is fixed to the helmet by means of an adjustable clamp.
As the boom was always bothering (getting stuck on the clothing or hair) when getting the helmet on or off, I decided to make some changes in the layout of the intercom.
First thing was to get rid of the parts that made the base of the system "Universal" and turning it custom!
I looked for the best position of the base and riveted it to the helmet.
Second was to remove the mikeīs boom: I was just matter of opening the compartment (at the base) were this boom was attached to, to cut it off and to unsolder the mikeīs cables.
Then I disassembled the other end of the boom where the mike itself was concealed. Cables were carefully unsoldered and replaced by a longer (bipolar + mesh) cable.
Having read that on certain top quality helmets the mike is located on the border of styrofoam on top of the helmetīs opening (just behind the upper part of the visor) i decided to place the mike there.
Carefully I removed the woven material that covers the styrofoam and made a hole (approx 10 x 10 MM) with the tip of the hot soldering iron.
I placed the mike in the new position and applied Holt-Melt glue to keep in position. Cable was passed from her to the base hiding it under the rubber sealings the helmet has (there is plenty of space) and soldered it to the connectors at the base.
After placing the woven material back, the helmet was ready to use.
The results are really great: no messy booms any more, no more concerns when donning the helmets, and MUCH LESS WIND NOISE!