I Will Buy Your Cb Setup!!! Please - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old May 3rd, 2009, 9:24 am Thread Starter

I Will Buy Your Cb Setup!!! Please

Hey fellas i have a 2000 LT with a BC 2 intercom unit and am in dire need of a CB. I know they are ancient stuff but i need it for the group i am riding in. I have seen on here that some of you have taken your off of your bikes. I would really appreciate it if any of you could sell me your old setup. So if you could spare getting rid of your old CB, PTT and cables it would help me out alot.

Last edited by beemerguywhotravelsalot; May 3rd, 2009 at 2:07 pm. Reason: Left a word out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old May 3rd, 2009, 10:28 am

Re: I Will Buy Your Cb Setup!!! Please

You might want to check out this thread at: http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46196

I've got a newer midland 75-822 on its way from J&M to replace my non-working 75-830 and I'll post how easy the swap was once I get it installed.

Also IF you have no intercom, J&M also sells a unit for the BMW at: http://jmcorp.com/SeeProducts.asp?PF=40 but it's a bit pricey but adds an intercom along with the CB.

There are other's out there too but I've only dealt with J&M so far as my K1200LTE had the portable unit in it and already had the intercom system.

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old May 3rd, 2009, 2:06 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. Yea i read that thread that is why i posted what i did because i saw that people were taking them out. I really dont want a J&M bar unit because i have installed probably 8 of those things on my friends bikes and have nothing but problems with them. Also the reason why i am wanting to go with a hand held with a PTT is because i dont plan on keeping the cb unit on the bike. The J&M bar units are pricey too. Thanks for the reply though

post #4 of 9 Old May 3rd, 2009, 2:20 pm

The Midland 75-822 should you decide to go that way can be found for as little as $80.00 on e-bay and as much as $125 from Midland. It's got all you need to use it as a handheld or as a mobile (except for an antenna and ptt button). The antenna and PTT can be bought separately. Since my bike was originally outfitted with a handheld CB, it was already wired with the PTT and uses the BMW intercom for speakers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1127.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	193.7 KB
ID:	22881  

Chris Ehlbeck

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 Old May 3rd, 2009, 5:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueknightga6
The Midland 75-822 should you decide to go that way can be found for as little as $80.00 on e-bay and as much as $125 from Midland. It's got all you need to use it as a handheld or as a mobile (except for an antenna and ptt button). The antenna and PTT can be bought separately. Since my bike was originally outfitted with a handheld CB, it was already wired with the PTT and uses the BMW intercom for speakers.
Chris,

Can you describe how your radio is hooked up to your intercom? Is there an audio out connection? What about the PPT? How is that connected?

Nevermind - I see where there are jacks for audio out and PPT...... Looks like a nice unit. I'm also intersted if anyone has one that want to get rid of.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #6 of 9 Old May 3rd, 2009, 5:16 pm

Dan,

On my bike, an "E" model, the CB was part of the trim package. Even though the transceiver itself doesn't receive or transmit (it doesn't even receive the WX band on or off the bike), the "TX" button does illuminate if I use the PTT on the handlebar that is also for the intercom. I'm guessing that up underneath the tupperware it somehow goes into the back of the intercom for the the PTT and audio. I would've gone FRS but my freinds with there Harleys and Goldwings won't hear of that! Besides it's not that easy for them to do. Once my new unit arrives I'll take notes and pictures of the installation.

Yes the wiring harness for the 12V power of the radio does have PTT and audio out, the wire between the separated transceiver and power supply.

Chris

Chris Ehlbeck

post #7 of 9 Old May 3rd, 2009, 7:30 pm

Thanks Chris,

It looks like the receive audio will wire into my AutoComm and the PTT will be a separate switch. I'm mostly interested in monitoring the road up ahead and if I ever needed to TX I would simply remove it from the mount. Looks like a simple way to set up a CB monitor. Monitoring the highway channels is my primary need.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #8 of 9 Old May 4th, 2009, 10:21 am

Dan,

The handheld may be the way to go then. Just search for Midland 75-822 on E-bay or Google (lowest prices). J&M also has the kit in the middle of the price range and Midland has the highest price. I'm just not sure if you'd need an additional antenna or if the included antenna would be ok for what you want to do.

Chris

Chris Ehlbeck

post #9 of 9 Old May 4th, 2009, 10:32 am

Thanks- I'm probably going to install a permanent antenna on the back of the bike for better highway reception. Generally the higher the tip of the antenna, the better the range. With the portable in the "box," it probably won't pick up much. I'll give it a try first to see. Should be pretty easy to plug the audio into my Auto Comm, I've got one more input jack.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in