what do you use your CB radio for? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Apr 28th, 2009, 9:20 pm Thread Starter

Cool what do you use your CB radio for?

This might be a dumb question but my new-to-me 2002 came with a Midland 75-830 CB radio. Honestly, I'm not quite sure what exactly to do with it...

Weatherband? Already on the radio anyways.
Listen to truckers on I-70 when the iPod battery is MT? hmmm... and ... would not know which channel to use...
Guess if I had friends with CB radios on their bikes we could use them for bike-to-bike comm but that is a negative... and... aren't most folks using FRS for that (and I think that's different)???

So... what's left?

Calling for help on Channel 9 (learned that from the instruction manual)

I'm thinking it takes up a lot of space in the oddments box just for that...

Suggestions sincerely appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Apr 28th, 2009, 10:30 pm

Re: what do you use your CB radio for?

Well you can do what I did over the weekend and take it out. Mine wasn't working very good when trying to transmit. So what did I do? I installed a Sirius satellite radio. We are really going enjoy this on the road this summer.

Stephen
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 R1200RT
2010 Unigo Trailer w/Dauntless Hitch
post #3 of 18 Old Apr 28th, 2009, 10:35 pm

Took mine out, carry cell phone, garage opener, digital tire pressure gauge, etc.
little_jake

post #4 of 18 Old Apr 28th, 2009, 10:51 pm
Lifetime Supporter

My touring buddy has a Gold Wing which come with built-in CB's, so I have one for our constant banter on trips. If not for him, I would have very little use for it.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #5 of 18 Old Apr 29th, 2009, 1:10 am

Door stop... Boat anchor... Frisbee... dust collector... Horizontal Magazine rack...

Uncle Mark

BMW '06' 1200LT "Wild Blue"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BMWMOA Member #127457
Honda CX500 Custom - RIP '00'

"An intelligence agency that FEARS intelligence? Historically, not awesome." . . . From what movie?

post #6 of 18 Old Apr 29th, 2009, 7:56 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

After 3 years of NEVER turning it on I pulled it out. It's amazing how much more room you have in the oddments box when the CB is gone.
BTW It came with the bike, I would never have spent money for that POS

Stevie Shreeve
post #7 of 18 Old Apr 29th, 2009, 8:06 am

On many group rides the leader and the tailgunner communicate on channel 1 of the CB. Channel 19 is used on the road by truckers and travellers. I monitor it once in a while. Other than that, it's quite useless. Mine is a handheld unit if I take it out. It takes up a lot of space in the oddments box. I really wouldn't miss it if I didn't have it but I'd still have the antenna. I guess I'll keep it............

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.
post #8 of 18 Old Apr 29th, 2009, 8:56 am

I used mine for the first time a couple years ago while riding through Montana, when I ran out of gas. Zero bars on the cell phone. After trying for about 15 min. on channel 19, I finally reached someone and he arranged for someone else to bring me a gallon of gas. I was really surprised. Mine is a hand held and has a permanent home in the top trunk.
post #9 of 18 Old Apr 29th, 2009, 9:16 am

Use mine all the time. My wife rides her own bike and I have CB's installed on both hers and mine. We like being able to communicate while we ride. Also, we are involved in an event called Run For The Wall, a run from Los Angeles to Washington D.C. in May. The pack can have 300 plus riders and be three miles long as we cross the U.S. CB's are used by all in leadership to keep the train together safely.
post #10 of 18 Old Apr 29th, 2009, 1:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcockrum
Use mine all the time. My wife rides her own bike and I have CB's installed on both hers and mine. We like being able to communicate while we ride. Also, we are involved in an event called Run For The Wall, a run from Los Angeles to Washington D.C. in May. The pack can have 300 plus riders and be three miles long as we cross the U.S. CB's are used by all in leadership to keep the train together safely.
You in Rolling Thunder???

Reido
K1600GTL...Blue Metallic
USMC 1971-1975
Ham Radio Call: W0FVR

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
--H.H. Humphrey
post #11 of 18 Old Apr 29th, 2009, 3:18 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for your replies. rcockrum I can see the value in this special case but won't apply here. roblee55 - point taken but I'm till not sure whether that would be worth it for me. I'm thinking I will take it out.

Does any of you know what this involves? Tupperware and stingray? Top box and seats for the antenna?

Also, I have a cable about 1/4 inch thick coiled up on top of the battery - is this the power for the CB? Are these dealer installed extras? I did not get any info from the PO what was installed on the bike at one time so this could be something else and there is no reference in the owner's manual to this cable.

I have not been able to look at another LTE but the non "E" models don't have it.

Thanks,
Frank
post #12 of 18 Old Apr 29th, 2009, 3:18 pm
Gold Supporter

I use mine a lot. As a Road Captain for a huge HOG group I use it to communicate with my sweep, bike to bike on long rides and most important is the long touring rides by myself. I can find out what lies ahead in the road from aligators to bears and when you come up on a construction site or accident you can find out which lane to get into ahead of time. You can get traffic, road, or weather warnings and directions on the fly.

Truckers are a wealth of info and I have found that most ride. Lately though you hardly hear anyone on the CB outside of towns. Truckers use their cell phones and keep the CB turned down, but every once in awhile I will pass a bored trucker and hear "Nice Bike" or "Hey Harley got your ears on?" and strike up a conversation for a few miles that helps keep me awake and him too. You would be surprised how many times truckers have taken me under their wings and given me warnings that their superior radios pick up ahead. Not sure about your radio but the one I had in my LT was a P.O.S. and I could barely hear anything and it was useless for transmitting. If I tried I pissed off the truckers. The one I had on my HD before the LT was great and the one I have now is fantastic. Wouldn't ride without one. You may not use it much, but if you do you will learn to appreciate it.

When I ride with BMW folks I still use an FRS, but alone or with a HOG group it is the CB.

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #13 of 18 Old Apr 29th, 2009, 8:03 pm

Does any of you know what this involves? Tupperware and stingray? Top box and seats for the antenna? You have to take the left side tupperware off and all the connections are within just a few inches of were they go into the trunk. I just left the antenna on for now, however I might remove it at a later time. Stingray doesn't need to come off.

Also, I have a cable about 1/4 inch thick coiled up on top of the battery - is this the power for the CB? Not sure what that cable is.

Stephen

2006 R1200RT
2010 Unigo Trailer w/Dauntless Hitch
post #14 of 18 Old Apr 29th, 2009, 11:26 pm Thread Starter

removed...

Got all of it removed this evening. Required stingray removal could not get to all the cable connections. Also required top box removal to get the antenna off. The coiled up cable was the antenna cable.
Guess I have a complete CB radio set to sell now... or use as doorstop...

Thanks for everyone's input. Sorry to all the CB radio users but it just did not seem worth it to me.
post #15 of 18 Old Apr 30th, 2009, 12:04 am

An anchor for my float tube...............
post #16 of 18 Old Apr 30th, 2009, 1:23 am
Cat Herder

Garage

Did your CB remember the last channel you were on???
My POS defaults to channel 9 everytime I turn it off.
I do use mine once in awhile to talk to my buddy bike to bike.

If you want to get rid of the CB unit and it keeps the last channel for at least an hour I will take it if you want to dump it off. Send me a PM or email me at bmw @jcprod.com

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

post #17 of 18 Old Apr 30th, 2009, 4:35 am

As someone else stated, truckers have a wealth of information on road conditions. If I ride by myself, channel 19 for road information. Couple of times has helped with infor on road condition, ie traffic crash, debris in the road.

Both our bikes have CBs so I communicate with the wife. A lot of friends have CBs so it is a way to communicate on the road.

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
Contact me 4 motor training 1&1
Expert witness in motorcycle crash reconstruction (Contact me)
post #18 of 18 Old May 3rd, 2009, 1:59 pm

Re: removed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaswahn
Got all of it removed this evening. Required stingray removal could not get to all the cable connections. Also required top box removal to get the antenna off. The coiled up cable was the antenna cable.
Guess I have a complete CB radio set to sell now... or use as doorstop...

Thanks for everyone's input. Sorry to all the CB radio users but it just did not seem worth it to me.
I would love to buy your cb setup if you still have it. I have a 2000 LT with a BC 2 intercom system. Joshua

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in