CB Squeal When Transmitting - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 9:57 pm Thread Starter

CB Squeal When Transmitting

I have an 03 LT that I got last August and everything seems to work ok except the CB. I can here others just fine but when I try to transmit the other party gets a squeal that just about blasts their ears off there head.

I just took the bike to our local CB shop and we did a little testing. We tried my helmet and cord on the front and then on the back and the squeal is still there. I tried my SO helmet on the front and back and still the squeal. During the test we started on channel 20 which was real bad and the squeal seemed to lower as we went down on the channels. The squeal would almost go away but then the volume on the other CB would be greatly diminished. The guy at the CB shop thought that somewhere in the wiring something wasn't shielded good and causing high RF's.

Has anybody had this problem with the CB? I've had the tupperware off in different places on the bike and have looked at the cables and have not seen anything that jumped out at me to say, ah hah. I don't really use the CB much and if I can't fix it I'd probably just take it out.

Stephen
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 R1200RT
2010 Unigo Trailer w/Dauntless Hitch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 10:48 pm

Re: CB Squeal When Transmitting

If it's the Midland handheld unit I think I've seen here that you can switch it to low power and that may resolve the issue.

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old Apr 24th, 2009, 8:30 am

I had a pretty similar problem recently with my J&M handlbar mount unit.
See my post titled Tuning CB Antenna (need longer antenna)
Therein, I heeded the advice of rocketman007, and for $12, installed a longer whip.

'Voila....problem solved. Of course, your mileage may vary, and your solution will certainly depending on your setup. What CB do you have? And what antenna?

I wish I could think of clever things to say in my signature.

post #4 of 5 Old Apr 24th, 2009, 9:49 am Thread Starter

Voila....problem solved. Of course, your mileage may vary, and your solution will certainly depending on your setup. What CB do you have? I have the Midland model And what antenna? I'm assuming its the factory one. Its just as long as the radio antenna. There's a longer antenna than the one I already have...... if it's much longer it'll hit my garage door opening.

Stephen

2006 R1200RT
2010 Unigo Trailer w/Dauntless Hitch
post #5 of 5 Old Sep 26th, 2009, 8:44 am

Talking Re: CB Squeal When Transmitting

I also just got an 03 , It has an autocom pro-m1 which is about 6yrs old . I have installed the midland portable on my handlebar . I also had a squeal on transmit . turned out to be an easy fix after reading some posts and some thought . Seems with the intercom connection my antenna wasnt grounded to the bike . I think the intercom is grounded to the bike and they both have to be , or there is interference . So I noticed when i touched my antenna tip ( rubber ducky ) on my radio I could transmit while holding the antenna , this worked fine . Not practical for riding though , only when using cruise ..still not ideal . Anyway I had a thought , I used some steel wire (aircraft safety wire .020) wrapped it around the metal connector on my rubber duck antenna that comes with the radio . Twisted it to a screw on my clutch reservoir cover put a ring terminal on the end , put a section of heatshrink over the twisted wire for cosmetic detail . Now my antenna is grounded to the bike throught the handlebars .

No more squeal , transmits fine . spoke to a few truckers on the highway . Hope this helps some of you guys , someone on here explains the whole no ground plane problem with cb antenna's on bikes pretty well . I am using batteries on my unit . I have a friend who went through the whole whining thing from the bike generator and using filters and all . He ended up going with batteries too was to much of a pain to isolate .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in