Earbud Advice - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 10:17 pm Thread Starter

Earbud Advice

My 2005 LT has the BMW radio and communication setup. I use helmet speakers and a microphone, with a coiled connector wire to the standard plug-in.

Now that I've used this system for few years I've decided I need something better, and I'd like your advice.

I want to use earbuds, no microphone, and still plug into the BMW outlet.

So I'd like this advice:

1. What brand of earbud/speakers work best for you? I don't want helmet speakers any longer.

2. How have you connected the earbuds to the BMW outlet?

Thanks.

Mike

Inside my 60 year old body is a 35 year old brain wondering what the hell happened.
2005 K1200LT
2005 Suzuki Burgman
BMWMOA #130574
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 11:14 pm

Re: Earbud Advice

Mike,

I think I can help you out. First there are 2 different styles of connectors that will do what you want. Cyclegadgets has both of them. They allow you to either just use the earbuds or to use the earbuds in combination with your already installed headsets. (that way your mic is still available for cb or intercom.

The 2 adapters are shown here:

http://cyclegadgets.com/Products/product.asp?Item=HA

I use the y style cheaper one myself...make sure you get the 6 pin version.

As for earbuds...I have tried a few and have settled down with the ER-6. Great sound and great noise blocking quality.

http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er6.aspx

Hope that helps you,

Ron

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

747,891 miles on touring motorcycles since 1990

IBA 45658 MOA167437

2000 LTC 90,600 miles KIA (new)
2003 LTE 164,188 miles Silver (Purchased with 1687)
2008 R1200RT 176,196 miles (Purchased with 16458)
2017 R1200RT 96,669miles (new)
Total BMW miles 509,508
1982 GL1100 rode 84108 miles (bought with 12012 sold 96120)
1988 GL1500 rode 12067 miles (bought with 19893 totaled 31960)
1989 GL1500 rode 142208 miles (bought with 20302 sold 162510)
Goldwing miles 238,383
post #3 of 16 Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 12:06 am

Mike,

I am excited to get to reply to your request as this is probably my favorite accessory that I own for my bike.
I got my buds from "Now Hear This". The technician that did the install is a Clinical Audiologist and her name is Marilyn Navia. You can contact her at 305-477-2333 or www.plugup.com . At the Lima MOA she had a booth and creates a dam that she gently tamps into your ear canal. She then injects a thick liquid silicone that sets up in about 5 minutes. This creates a perfect mold of your ear canal. One side is red and the other blue so there is no guessing. They block out all external noise and with the speakers in your ear canal they require very low volume.
I recently contacted her because I thought that I lost mine but found them the next day. She explained that she has a kit that she can send you to set up your own custom fit.
She also can provide you with an adapter to accommodate your intercom.
The cons are cost, and I'm not gonna kid you, when these things are in your ears with music playing, you can't hear squat.
I absolutely love mine!

Diehly

Poke it through, tuck and roll

post #4 of 16 Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 12:20 am

I use Sure earbuds with my mp3 player. High quality sound & fit. Blocks most all wind noise. Actually, if you push them in tight enough all you hear is music & your other personality between songs.
Not cheap. @120 bucks. My sons got them for me last year for Father's day.
Makes mowing the lawn a lot more enjoyable too.

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #5 of 16 Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 8:51 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellenbenz
Mike,

I think I can help you out. First there are 2 different styles of connectors that will do what you want. Cyclegadgets has both of them. They allow you to either just use the earbuds or to use the earbuds in combination with your already installed headsets. (that way your mic is still available for cb or intercom.

The 2 adapters are shown here:

http://cyclegadgets.com/Products/product.asp?Item=HA

I use the y style cheaper one myself...make sure you get the 6 pin version.

As for earbuds...I have tried a few and have settled down with the ER-6. Great sound and great noise blocking quality.

http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er6.aspx

Hope that helps you,

Ron
I second the etymotic suggestion. I have a pair of these that I use on my V-Rod as well as on the LT. The V-Rod is quite a bit louder in both wind noise and exhaust note than the LT, but the etymotics effectively block out a good portion of the outside noise. I do believe that custom molded earpieces may be more effective at blocking outside noise - but the etymotic fidelity and sound quality is second to none.

Live Slow... Fly Fast

Check out our
blog that chronicled our trip to Alaska and back.

<- The Boy
The Toys

2001 K1200LT-C that's been to the Alaskan Arctic Circle and back
2008 VRSCAWA H-D V-Rod with a few goodies
2005 VRSCA H-D V-Rod
1981 Mooney M20J

post #6 of 16 Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 11:03 am

I have the Molded 1-Piece Earplug Speaker Adapter from cyclegadgets.com. It works very well. However, my audio coms plug is mounted on the left side of the stingray. With this adapter plugged in, the handle bars hit it when making a full left turn. I have to unplug my lower cord (when not using the adapter) to get a full lock left when fueling up. The bars touch enough to put a little strain on the plug.

As I only use earplug headset when riding solo I just plug the adapter into the pillion's audio coms socket behind me.

It is a great little gadget and I really enjoy the music or whatever more through good earphone/plugs.

You may want to choose the adapter cord rather than the plug adapter depending on where your audio plug is located.

2007 R1200R

2000 K1200LT

1978 R100S (long gone, but not forgotten)
post #7 of 16 Old May 8th, 2009, 10:58 am

I have a brand new 6-pin Y-adapter for sale if you want. 45 shipped CONUS

PM me if interested.

F

BMWMOA
12 GTL
post #8 of 16 Old May 16th, 2009, 10:52 am
Super Moderator

http://www.earinc.com/

Dan Finazzo

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"
post #9 of 16 Old May 16th, 2009, 12:28 pm

I don't know specifically about the BMW Intercom, but I know that several intercoms DO NOT power up unless there is a microphone in the intercom circuit. I had my mic connection come loose and I did not have any sounds in the headsets until I got the mike plugged back in. JM2CW

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #10 of 16 Old Jun 25th, 2009, 1:52 pm

I think I can confirm that operation. I just order the molded adapter from Cyclegadgets for my new to me 2000 LT with BC-3 (I an SO happy to back on a K12).

Anyway it came today so I ran out and plugged it in - nothing through the ER-6's, speaker/headset switch made no difference. Talked to Shaun or Shane at Cyclegadgets and he agreed that the system didn't seem to be recognizing anything plugged into the headset jack. . I wasn't really planning on getting a headset at this point, just wanted the earplugs. Looks like I may need to pick up a set. At least I have the lower cables from the original owner.
Can anyone confirm this on the BC-3?
post #11 of 16 Old Jun 25th, 2009, 5:43 pm

If you have not tried it yet, you might plug the adapter into the passenger port to eliminate the possibility of the front connector being bad.

Also I have seen times where the headset/speaker switch on the BC3 did not work. I just worked mine many times and sprayed some wd40 around the switch and it worked. I think they get a bit corroded if not used a lot. (this happened to me on 2 different bikes)

Hope that helps,

Ron

747,891 miles on touring motorcycles since 1990

IBA 45658 MOA167437

2000 LTC 90,600 miles KIA (new)
2003 LTE 164,188 miles Silver (Purchased with 1687)
2008 R1200RT 176,196 miles (Purchased with 16458)
2017 R1200RT 96,669miles (new)
Total BMW miles 509,508
1982 GL1100 rode 84108 miles (bought with 12012 sold 96120)
1988 GL1500 rode 12067 miles (bought with 19893 totaled 31960)
1989 GL1500 rode 142208 miles (bought with 20302 sold 162510)
Goldwing miles 238,383
post #12 of 16 Old Jun 25th, 2009, 10:12 pm

Disclaimer: I am NOT trying to turn the thread into a debate of what government should or should not govern and whether we have too many laws or not. I am merely trying to understand what the situation is...

With this - I believe I recall the good people of MSF telling me earbuds were not legal in many states... Does someone know what the situation is, and if indeed it's not legal, has anyone ever been ticketed for that?

In addition, for those who use earbuds, in your experience, have they ever created any loss of perception or balance that could impact safety?

Thanks - again, just newbie trying to learn
post #13 of 16 Old Jun 26th, 2009, 7:08 am

Tried the rear jack as well; no dice. I'm going to try stopping a local store that sells headsets and see if I can try it with a set. I'll also contact the previous owner tosee what he knows, thanks for your help.
post #14 of 16 Old Jun 26th, 2009, 7:28 am

Go to your old setup/cord and find the two leads for the microphone. Take a resistance measurement across those two connections. Buy a resistor with the same value from RadioShack, and solder it across the two corresponding pins on your new adapter. This will mimic the presence of a microphone and should get you sorted.

I wish I could think of clever things to say in my signature.
post #15 of 16 Old Jun 26th, 2009, 9:07 am

Well Duh!
Found my problem. Apparently the ignition must be on for the headsets to work.

Now I have terrible ignition noise in the headphones; don't know if its the adapter or the system. Guess I'll start searching the forums for info.

Thanks everyone.

BTW: As to the legality of ear buds, you're probably correct, I think they are technically illegal. However I don't know of anyone who has been cited for that; it could happen though.
I always wear ear plugs when I ride anyway, so I don't see a great distinction between ear plugs and helmet speakers and ear plug headphones. I can hear well enough to be aware of what's going on around me.
I never noticed any degradation of balance or situational awareness.
post #16 of 16 Old Jul 2nd, 2009, 9:59 pm

Well I found the source of my ignition noise -- it's the ER6's! I'm bummed because I really like the fidelity of those ear plugs. I tried a regular J & M headset in the system this evening at the local BMW Club meeting; it was totally quiet. It seems that the earbuds are acting like an antenna and picking up ignition noise. I guess I'll have to go back to the traditional J & M headset configuration. Maybe I'll try another pair of buds or perhaps try to shield them in some way.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in