Icom Cable - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 Old Apr 8th, 2009, 12:12 am Thread Starter

Icom Cable

I have an 2002 LT with the BMW Com System the one made by J&M. I would like to connect a Icom IC-F21GM to it. I can not find a cable to do this. J & M makes a cable that will work for Kenwood Free Talk and Motorola T-series for their Integratr IV. Same cable as the BMW cable. I call J & M and they do not (will not) make a cable for the Icom. So my question. Is there anyone that knows how to make a cable (pin outs) or what do you do to get sound to your helmet speakers. Any help would be very appreciated. Thank you

Duane Taylor
Sebastopol, California

2002 K1200LTE
Toscana Green
Ducati Streefighter S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old Apr 8th, 2009, 3:57 am
Senior Member (ret.)

Re: Icom Cable

If you search in the old archives, there is a post that has the pinouts.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #3 of 39 Old Apr 9th, 2009, 1:00 am Thread Starter

Thanks Raffy. I searched and the only posts that I found were by James Goodchild. When I try to open the attachment all I get is garbage. So anyone anyone????

Duane Taylor
Sebastopol, California

2002 K1200LTE
Toscana Green
Ducati Streefighter S

post #4 of 39 Old Apr 9th, 2009, 1:36 am
Lifetime Supporter

James made one for me in 2005. I was going to change the stereo jacks he put on with a iCom moulded connector. It appears the end that connects to the Comm system is an old computer mouse cable. The pin connections are unknown to me until I strip off the shrink tube and see what he's made.

James... you out there in Canada land?

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
Member: MOA, AMA, IBA, NRA, MERA
GS911 & GS911 Wifi - Diagnostics Tools Available
2012 K16GTL (3/2018 to present) 68k (Totaled! 8/11/19 Deer strike)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2013 R1200GSW
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
> 28k miles!
2002 K12LT Toscana Green - > 241k miles (Sold)
2006 Suzuki DL1000 V Strom Silver/Blk - >21k (Sold)
SS1K (x4),BB,BtoB(<24),BBG, SS3k

post #5 of 39 Old Apr 9th, 2009, 11:47 am

This is the wiring diagram I use...

Good luck...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ICOM to Voice II.jpg
Views:	2329
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	22553  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf VII and ICOM wiring.pdf (44.8 KB, 203 views)

Uncle Mark

BMW '06' 1200LT "Wild Blue"

BMWMOA Member #127457
Honda CX500 Custom - RIP '00'

"An intelligence agency that FEARS intelligence? Historically, not awesome." . . . From what movie?

Last edited by UncleMark; Apr 9th, 2009 at 11:50 am. Reason: Add image....
post #6 of 39 Old Apr 10th, 2009, 12:30 pm Thread Starter

I e-mailed John (owner) at J & M this is what he sent me as a reply. "The code for that plug and cables is quite complex and depends solely upon the code used for the particular radio it is made for and also it's PTT activation configuration. I have no one here that can make a custom cable for one particular FRS/GMRS radio" I do not know what this means but it may be that I can't get there from here. So I know that I can connect a Kenwood Free talk or a Motorola Talk-About (T series) as J & M does make a cable that will work. Question any thoughts which one would work better? Thanks Duane

(UncleMark) Thanks for diagram. I have the 1st ComSystem the one that came with the tape player. My bike was one of the first to get the CD player instead of the tape player so I do not think the wiring for the Voice II will work

Duane Taylor
Sebastopol, California

2002 K1200LTE
Toscana Green
Ducati Streefighter S
post #7 of 39 Old Apr 10th, 2009, 1:14 pm

How about buying an inexpensive earbud/lapel mic for the Icom and the appropriate wire for the Kenwood to your bike. It should be fairly easy to use an ohm meter to figure out what the corresponding wires are in each. Then, just cut and splice the Kenwood wire to the Icom plug. You should be good to go.
post #8 of 39 Old Apr 15th, 2009, 3:52 pm

Duane
Using a ICOM F21gm myself I know that if a custom cable is needed that Richard at RKA may be able to help (I am using a Starcom 1 comm system). He has a person he uses for custom cable needs and might be able to help. RKA is in Windsor not too far from you, his website is www.rka-luggage.com
Larry
post #9 of 39 Old Apr 15th, 2009, 6:51 pm Thread Starter

Steve, Larry thanks for the thoughts. I have a cable coming from J & M. When it gets here I will call Richard. Never thought of Richard even tho I have know him since 2002 when I got my tank bag from him. Good Ideas.

Duane Taylor
Sebastopol, California

2002 K1200LTE
Toscana Green
Ducati Streefighter S
post #10 of 39 Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 5:18 pm Thread Starter

Update: Well I called Richard, the guy that did cables for them has moved to Texas and they no longer have contact. They did say that he road an LT. At this point I will try to find where the Ham radio club meets and see if I can find someone there. If this does not work then I will cut into the cable I got from J & M and see if I can make something, just hope I do not do some damage to the com system.

Duane Taylor
Sebastopol, California

2002 K1200LTE
Toscana Green
Ducati Streefighter S
post #11 of 39 Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 9:21 pm

I have the original manual from my BMW branded J&M com system with the disc player. It shows the pin hookups for the Adapter Harnesses for the hookups for the Motorola Talk-About, Motorola Talk-About T-Series and the Kenwood Freetalk. Is this what you are looking for or are you looking for what the pinout is for the ICom? Depending on the radio, it looks like the hookups are different. Some pins get jumpered together on one radio and not others. Some pins are used for one radio and not others. So just getting a cord from J&M for one of these radios may not give you the correct hookup for the ICOM. I don't have a scanner, but could probably have my wife take it to work and get it scanned if it would help you.

Carl

Euclid, Ohio
2003 Silver LTE
1971 HD XLH Sportster
post #12 of 39 Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 12:02 pm Thread Starter

Carl, thank you for your offer but I also have the manual with the pin outs. What I am unsure about is the Icom do I need jumpers on the pins or not. I will jump right in on anything mechanical but when it comes to radio stuff I just do not understand. So therefor my fear that I will fry ether the Com system or the Icom. But I will keep trying until it is working or find out this can not be done. Just need to talk to the right person with the knowledge. That is why I thought a Ham might be of help.

Duane Taylor
Sebastopol, California

2002 K1200LTE
Toscana Green
Ducati Streefighter S
post #13 of 39 Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 2:31 pm

I think you're on the right track with a local ham club. You're likely to find several guys with the ability to get this right and do it quickly. What you're asking to do is pretty simple for a guy who knows his way around a schematic, an ohm meter and a soldering iron. LOL. The ham guys live for stuff like this.

Cliffy109 aka K4GUN
post #14 of 39 Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 3:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltride
Carl, thank you for your offer but I also have the manual with the pin outs. What I am unsure about is the Icom do I need jumpers on the pins or not. I will jump right in on anything mechanical but when it comes to radio stuff I just do not understand. So therefor my fear that I will fry ether the Com system or the Icom. But I will keep trying until it is working or find out this can not be done. Just need to talk to the right person with the knowledge. That is why I thought a Ham might be of help.
When you figure it out, please post your results. A number of my local BMW club members are going the family radio route, so I will need to eventually hookup an ICOM. Thanks

Carl

Euclid, Ohio
2003 Silver LTE
1971 HD XLH Sportster
post #15 of 39 Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 5:51 pm

There is another option, although there are a few things which need discussed. There is a new ham radio made by the Chinese called the Puxing PX777 UHF. It does something that I'm not sure how they get away with. The FCC must "type accept" radios for use in the GMRS/FRS services. Ham radios can't be used to transmit on those frequencies.

Well, somehow or another, these radios are being imported legally and they can transmit all through the UHF ham band (commonly called the 70 cm band) and it can also transmit in the GMRS and FRS frequency range with a full 5 watts and it has a detachable antenna.

The Puxing radio uses the standard Kenwood interface cable. The pin out is identical to all the Kenwood talkies so your regular Kenwood interface cables will work.

There are two down sides here. First is that you'll have to program in the frequencies. Because this is a ham radio, it does not have "channels" built in. That's an easy thing to deal with. There are several sources on the web that will tell you the exact frequencies of the FRS and GMRS channels. You can also program in the PL tones so you will not hear those using the same channels that have are not part of your group.

The other down side is that it might be illegal to use these. I'm a little shaky on this part. I know that one can't modify ham equipment and use it in the GMRS/FRS band. These radios don't need modified though. The FCC type acceptance system should have kept these radios out of the US because of this.

I'm not saying this is a great solution. The radios are very cheap on e-bay ($68 delivered) and have very good reviews that I've read. I'm very unclear on the legallity of using them as GMRS radios. I also want to warn users that if they use them in the 70 cm ham band without a ham license, that is VERY illegal and could subject you to still fines and penalties. I'm just throwing this out for educational purposes.
post #16 of 39 Old Apr 30th, 2009, 2:23 pm

J&M has/had an exclusive contract with BMW and after 2005 ceased making the "200" Motorola cable that works with the ICOM. When the new updated LT came out BMW agreed to only support Kenwood FRS/GMRS radios. These radios use a dual pin connector on the radio side. One is 2.5mm stereo and the other 3.5mm stereo. For most of the free world, the 3.5 is used for the headset and the 2.5 for the microphone/PTT. However, Kenwood is the reverse. This is the problem. If you have a Kenwood tipped cable you can cut and splice it to work properly by reversing the contacts on the radio side. Many riders want longer cables so they can run them up to their handlebars or other places further than the tankbag. The radios work MUCH better when elevated and off to one side. They are line of sight after all. I will attach a schematic of the "200" cable below originally dissected by James Goodchild. "IF" you want a longer cable and have the BC 2 or 3 that uses the six-pin connector, you can use an old computer mouse or keyboard cable. The six-pin is the same as used on the BC comm systems. You need to identify the pins and separate by color. Then match them up with your radio side dual pin connector. Solder the contacts as they get jumbled during rides more than you might think. Shrink-wrap individually then together and viola!

No one currently makes the appropriate connector cable for any of the original BMW comm, BC, or Voice units. Even the J&M integrator cable for Motorola is not correct as it has a single pin radio connector.(wrong type) The place to start is with the correct tip connectors, then modify. I spent a good deal of time on this project 3-4 years ago and am now trying to help new EXR riders with older LTs get up to speed with the ICOMs. We may have an opportunity to order a batch of custom cables. They would run about $15 each and we'd need to order at least 25 in two different configurations to get everyone wired up correctly. We have also been in contact with J&M about the FACT that the Kenwood TK-3131 FRS/GMRS radio upon which the entire BMW contract was based is no longer in production and virtually unavailable new. Kenwood Professional Radios is now out of the GMRS market, not making a replacement. The ICOM is a far superior radio in power, sound quality, waterproofing, and military solder specs. It's not hard to make/modify your cables once you have the right tips. If you're not comfortable doing the actual soldering work, find someone with some experience and the equipment to do it. Everyone knows a lovable electronics geek! It would be great if someone like J&M would step up to the plate do it for us as many of us already own "their" BC units and they used to supply the appropriate cables like the "200" to BMW to work with non-Kenwood radios. However, I believe they are still under contract or non-competition clause with BMW/Kenwood for the present.

Happy Soldering!

Bob Morrow #4204
2014 K1600GTLE "Firefly" GTL 4 Two
2002 K1200LTE "Green Hornet" LT 4 Two (history)
"Kyrie Eleison down the road that I must travel"

Last edited by Tallyho; Apr 30th, 2009 at 2:35 pm.
post #17 of 39 Old Apr 30th, 2009, 7:39 pm

Quote:
I spent a good deal of time on this project 3-4 years ago and am now trying to help new EXR riders with older LTs get up to speed with the ICOMs. We may have an opportunity to order a batch of custom cables. They would run about $15 each and we'd need to order at least 25 in two different configurations to get everyone wired up correctly.

Bob,

If you do get the point of ordering some cables, could you add me to your list of buyers? Not too into the intricate soldering job this would take. Would like to go to an ICOM to communicate with others in my local BMW club. Have a 2003 LT with the BMW branded J&M com system/CD player.

Maybe we could get a group buy going here.

Carl

Euclid, Ohio
2003 Silver LTE
1971 HD XLH Sportster
post #18 of 39 Old May 1st, 2009, 12:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprdoorman
Bob,

If you do get the point of ordering some cables, could you add me to your list of buyers? Not too into the intricate soldering job this would take. Would like to go to an ICOM to communicate with others in my local BMW club. Have a 2003 LT with the BMW branded J&M com system/CD player.

Maybe we could get a group buy going here.
Carl,

Sounds like you have the BC3. It connects GMRS though a six pin connector in the center of the console inside the oddments box. I "may" have one of my earlier creations of this cable. I'll check around this weekend. Send a PM if you're interested.

The BMW Comm and Voice units use a dual tip connector on both ends. This includes the last version, the VOICE II. There has been some discussion that the VOICE II requires a powered or boosted microphone to work properly with the ICOM. Personally, I don't believe this after studying the schematics of the Kenwood TK3131 and VOICE II. The ICOM certainly doesn't require it. This is tentamount to saying there is a booster mechanism in the connector cable sold by BMW for the VOICE II for the Kenwood TK radios. What I believe is actually the case is the requirement to maintain a shield line during your splicing and dicing.

Bob Morrow #4204
post #19 of 39 Old May 8th, 2009, 9:52 am

Talleyho,

I have a question about that pin-out diagram you posted for the Icom pins. I have been having a problem finding a wire for my autocom that will work with my Yaesu/Vertex ham radio. Its easy to find Kenwood and Icom plugs to the Autocom, but not the unusual pin of the waterproof Yasesu radios.

I just discovered that Yaesu makes a TNC wire that looks like it will work between the VX170 and the Autocom Icom adapter wire. Would you mind taking a look at this plug and letting me know if it will work to plug the two part plug into it?

post #20 of 39 Old May 16th, 2009, 10:01 am

I have now answered my own question. I bought that cable for the Yaesu VX radio and attached it to the Icom-Autocom interface cable and it works perfectly. That is a big deal. My wife and I both have ham radio licenses and both have Yaesu radios. We could only find one Yaesu interface cable. I can't even find the thing listed on any web sites. Meanwhile, the Icom cable is a lot easier.
post #21 of 39 Old Jul 9th, 2009, 11:53 am

Quote:
. If you're not comfortable doing the actual soldering work, find someone with some experience and the equipment to do it. Everyone knows a lovable electronics geek! It would be great if someone like J&M would step up to the plate do it for us as many of us already own "their" BC units and they used to supply the appropriate cables like the "200" to BMW to work with non-Kenwood radios. However, I believe they are still under contract or non-competition clause with BMW/Kenwood for the present.
Hi Bob, Been reading these threads as I'm one of Carl's (sprdoorman) friends in the Cleveland club thinking about getting the Icom. I don't have any trouble soldering a cable together, just trying to find out the proper connections. Are you saying above that the "200" style cable will work with the Icom? That's basically the 3.5mm speaker/2.5mm mic, both two conductor (mono).
Looking at the spec sheet for the F21GM it list the 2.5mm mic plug as a 3-conductor. I'm wondering what the third conductor is for and is it needed as the BC-3 socket only uses the 2-conductor connection.
I don't understand the previous post's quote of someone at J & M that "The code for that plug and cables is quite complex and depends solely upon the code used for the particular radio..." Am I missing something besides 2-conductors for the speaker and 2 for the mic? Or is that just their way of saying " we can't or won't make that because of our arrangement with BMW"?
Thanks in advance for your help in this matter.
post #22 of 39 Old Jul 9th, 2009, 3:45 pm

I'll let Bob do his thing... but here's an F21 schematic drawing that may answer one of your questions.

On the F21 speaker side, you will notice the AFOUT and CLONE points that will connect on a plug. While the mono plug may work, there are defiantly three contact points in the radio's external speaker connector.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	F21 pin out 001_A.jpg
Views:	1525
Size:	177.2 KB
ID:	23676  

Uncle Mark

BMW '06' 1200LT "Wild Blue"

BMWMOA Member #127457
Honda CX500 Custom - RIP '00'

"An intelligence agency that FEARS intelligence? Historically, not awesome." . . . From what movie?

post #23 of 39 Old Jul 9th, 2009, 4:29 pm

Thanks Mark, Interesting; I'm also wondering how does the BC-3 implement the PTT.
post #24 of 39 Old Jul 10th, 2009, 1:18 pm

If you can find someone willing to sell the "200" cable, it will work with the ICOM. It was designed for a dual pin Motorola but is the same input jacks as the ICOM.

If your bike came with the BC3 installed, the bike is prewired for the PTT button. You can get the kit from BMW and it's pretty much plug n play. I would suggest going with one of the discounters like Chicago(unless you're in a hurry) as I believe it's now over $100.(crazy!) It mounts very conveniently using the left side mirror boss hole and connects to the PTT cable pre-wired inside the left handlebar. The result is a stationary PTT button exactly where you want it.

One piece of advice. I would get the properly wired dual head jack or single heads already factory wired and moulded. Then splice into the lines further down on the cable. In my original forays, we tried using tips that can be soldered. Unfortunately, they did not hold up for very long under the rigors of road riding and took turns shorting out. By getting the proper prefab tips you can match the lines and shrinkwrap for a much more secure connection. For example, you can buy a 3.5mm to 2.5mm adapter cable and snip it in the middle. Now you've got both jacks for the radio. Pick up an old(or new) PS2 mouse, snip off the mouse and you get the six pin connector and 40+ inches of shielded cable. Match up the lines to the schematics and shrink together. The length will allow you to mount the radio on the dash or up and away as you see fit. One can do the same for the Voice connections. Buy two adapters snip and reverse. I'm sure you get the idea at this point. You don't really need to solder using this process as you'll get a good overlapping twist on the wires plus two layers of shrink to hold it in place. At the risk of stating the obvious, test before making permanent connections! One last thing, make sure the jacks plugs you use will fit side by side into the ICOM. Get as narrow as possible and preferably a dual head if you can find one.

Bob Morrow #4204
post #25 of 39 Old Jul 10th, 2009, 2:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallyho
If you can find someone willing to sell the "200" cable, it will work with the ICOM. It was designed for a dual pin Motorola but is the same input jacks as the ICOM.

If your bike came with the BC3 installed, the bike is prewired for the PTT button. You can get the kit from BMW and it's pretty much plug n play. I would suggest going with one of the discounters like Chicago(unless you're in a hurry) as I believe it's now over $100.(crazy!) It mounts very conveniently using the left side mirror boss hole and connects to the PTT cable pre-wired inside the left handlebar. The result is a stationary PTT button exactly where you want it.

One piece of advice. I would get the properly wired dual head jack or single heads already factory wired and moulded. Then splice into the lines further down on the cable. In my original forays, we tried using tips that can be soldered. Unfortunately, they did not hold up for very long under the rigors of road riding and took turns shorting out. By getting the proper prefab tips you can match the lines and shrinkwrap for a much more secure connection.
I have the schematic for the 200 and it seems pretty straight forward. I have the PTT on the BC-3, my question was whether the 200 cable would allow that to function properly with the Icom, looks like it should.
I like to idea of using molded plug and then splicing; I've already got a couple old keyboards laying around and I'm guessing the local shop that sells the Icom will have a 3.5mm to 2.5mm patch cable. I think I'd like them soldered though, just twisting them, even with the shrinkwrap just sounds like trouble.

thanks a bunch for the reply and the advice Bob, I may just try this over the weekend.
post #26 of 39 Old Jul 10th, 2009, 8:27 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpm100
thanks a bunch for the reply and the advice Bob, I may just try this over the weekend.
If you get it to work, let me know what I did wrong! Attmpted the same thing and I am having issues...

Hoss
'Stupidity has a knack of getting its way.' --Albert Camus
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
R.I.P. - '00- K1200LTE- "Barbara" - Retired at 168K 9/2011
MOA, IBA, EXR & RCB and TMI
post #27 of 39 Old Jul 10th, 2009, 10:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoswell
If you get it to work, let me know what I did wrong! Attmpted the same thing and I am having issues...
Well, we both have issues. I stopped by the radio shop on the way home from work and picked up an Icom. Also picked up a remote mic/spkr for 16 bucks that has the combined 2.5/3.5 mm plugs on it. Thought I might use that plug for the connection to the BC-3.

When I got home I found that I had two cables: one with 2.5mm on each end, one with 3.5mm on each end. Figured I'd use these; they were stereo plugs but that shouldn't matter; the schematic for the 200 BMW part uses mono plugs. That way I'd have enough plugs for two adapters.

So I have a couple PS/2 Keyboards and I disconnected the cable from one. Using my ohm meter I trace the wires. First problem: the cable has four conductors and a shield. Problem is, the pin that should go to Mic Negative isn't connected to anything. Tried connecting the shield to that, and plugged it in. Seemed like a got a tone in the headsets when I turned the radio on, I don't have another radio to transmit back and forth, figured I'd hear something and see the transmit led when I hit the PTT. I didn't.

I even cut apart the 6-pin DIN connector and moved the wire from the N/C pin to the mic neg. Still didn't work. I'm not hearing anything in the headset, now transmit from the PTT. Tried my second keyboard cable, same thing four conductor and shield, pins don't seem to match up with the 200 schematic. Maybe what i need is a mouse cable? Don't have one laying around here at home. Or maybe just a fresh 6-pin DIN to build it up from scratch.

Pretty frustrating though, seems like a pretty simple cabling job; one speaker one mic connection. Do I have the 6-pin DIN upside down? The schematic shows solder side, I assume that means from the back of the connector.

Is there anything I need to do to the Icom to initialize it? Didn't seem to be anything in the manual indicating that.
post #28 of 39 Old Jul 11th, 2009, 2:17 pm

Saturday Update:

I went off this morning to the local electronic surplus and got some 6-pin mini DIN, 2.5mm & 3.5mm plugs. Came back, ruined the first DIN trying to solder the wires into it (bought 3 of each). Second went much better, got everything wired just like the Motorola 200 cable, toned it out with the ohm meter, all connections were good and proper.
Plug it into the BC-3, nada. Sumofabitch!

I was diggin around in my box of stuff that came with the bike and found the Midland CB plus a Kenwood FRS pus the 1999 Kenwood cable. Just to be sure the BC-3 wasn't broke I plugged the CB and FRS in and tried them out, both received and transmitted flawlessly.

So maybe I need to wait until someone makes some of these for sale; either that, or maybe I can find a Kenwood GMRS somewhere.
post #29 of 39 Old Jul 11th, 2009, 4:22 pm

Quote:
So maybe I need to wait until someone makes some of these for sale; either that, or maybe I can find a Kenwood GMRS somewhere.
Glad you jumped in on this and not me Rick. When I get the cable from Bob that he's sending me, maybe we can get together and try your ICOM on it. If it works maybe that will help you duplicate it. Will also tell me at that point whether I want to go ahead and buy the ICOM for myself.

Carl

Euclid, Ohio
2003 Silver LTE
1971 HD XLH Sportster
post #30 of 39 Old Jul 12th, 2009, 12:51 am

Sounds good Carl.
post #31 of 39 Old Jul 13th, 2009, 2:01 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprdoorman
Glad you jumped in on this and not me Rick. When I get the cable from Bob that he's sending me, maybe we can get together and try your ICOM on it. If it works maybe that will help you duplicate it. Will also tell me at that point whether I want to go ahead and buy the ICOM for myself.
Not to spoil your day, (if it hasn't happened yet) Went on a ride with Bob. (commless again!) His cable does not work with the BC3. it has a female end, where the BC3 needs a male.
Back to topic. I did the same, purchased a mouse extender cable and UncleMark donated the 2.5/3.5. simple connections, my a$$, right...... Mine, transmitted (I have two Icoms) without touching anything, but it transmitted engine (RF?). Push the PTT (silence) this may be the correct wiring but something is not grounded correctly (I assume) I found the service manual online, and I may seek assistance of the electronic minded to see if there is anything i'm missing... Frustrating as all get out, ain't it? Will update if I have any (hopefully) luck.

Not that it helps much, in fact it confuses. But I have a Bluetooth connection for the Icom and it is a 3 pole for both the 2.5 and the 3.5. As I purchased it from the manufacture, maybe they will respond to the email regarding the connections... Maybe we'll get lucky...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dongle-.gif
Views:	161
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	23726  

Hoss
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen

Last edited by shoswell; Jul 13th, 2009 at 2:19 am.
post #32 of 39 Old Jul 13th, 2009, 3:24 am

Garage

Help any?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	untitled.JPG
Views:	1210
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	23727  

Hoss
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
post #33 of 39 Old Jul 13th, 2009, 8:58 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoswell
Not to spoil your day, (if it hasn't happened yet) Went on a ride with Bob. (commless again!) His cable does not work with the BC3. it has a female end, where the BC3 needs a male.
Back to topic. I did the same, purchased a mouse extender cable and UncleMark donated the 2.5/3.5. simple connections, my a$$, right...... Mine, transmitted (I have two Icoms) without touching anything, but it transmitted engine (RF?). Push the PTT (silence) this may be the correct wiring but something is not grounded correctly (I assume) I found the service manual online, and I may seek assistance of the electronic minded to see if there is anything i'm missing... Frustrating as all get out, ain't it? Will update if I have any (hopefully) luck.
Weird huh? It seems so simple, you have a speaker + & - a mic + & -, that's clear from the Icom schematic, Thanks for the full schematic BTW, I had just the mic and speaker section previously. And when you look at the Schematic for the BC-3, whether it's the 1999 for Kenwood or the 2000 for Motorola, the connections to the BC-3 remain the same.
So why don't they work?
F if I know! Somebody smarter that I will know.
post #34 of 39 Old Jul 19th, 2009, 5:50 pm

Garage

Quote:
Weird huh? It seems so simple, you have a speaker + & - a mic + & -, that's clear from the Icom schematic, Thanks for the full schematic BTW, I had just the mic and speaker section previously. And when you look at the Schematic for the BC-3, whether it's the 1999 for Kenwood or the 2000 for Motorola, the connections to the BC-3 remain the same.
So why don't they work?
F if I know! Somebody smarter that I will know.
Icom....The continuing saga!
Just re-attempted connections again. Looking at the schematic for the icom its a stereo 2.5mm pin. Using the PS2 "mouse connector" attempted as follows. Base of 2.5 to stranded housing on the PS2. Middle to Red (4) and Tip to white. Still have the same feedback issue. I do however hear the PTT engage I believe. When I cool down (frustrated and its 110 outside...AGAIN) I'll try to reverse the red and white on the PS2 and see what comes of it...

Not even worried about the audio at this point! one problem at a time.

Hoss
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
post #35 of 39 Old Jul 20th, 2009, 1:29 am

The ICOM inputs are both mono. There are no stereo inputs on the BC2/3(PS2) to ICOM cable. I would check your pinout sequence one more time from the PS2.(upside down?) Make sure the connectors are fully seated in the ICOM. They should be flush with no gap when plugged into the ICOM. Also make sure your radio toggle switch is on FRS and not CB when testing.

FYI: There "are" stereo inputs on the VOICE II and the Kenwood TK3131 cable.

Bob Morrow #4204
post #36 of 39 Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 2:16 pm

Garage

Here are the goods!

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48397

Hoss
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
post #37 of 39 Old Jul 24th, 2009, 9:03 pm

Hey, that link is no good!
post #38 of 39 Old Jul 24th, 2009, 10:30 pm

Garage

Quote:
Hey, that link is no good!
PM is a comin!

Hoss
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
post #39 of 39 Old Jul 26th, 2009, 9:54 am

Thanks, got the info, now I just need to sit down and try it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in