Bluetooth Stereo Headset - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 6:31 pm Thread Starter

Bluetooth Stereo Headset

I have several different items that I wanted to tap into while I ride different bikes. On the early model K12LT that I ride, the tape deck, CD and radio are great. I did wire in a jack to accept a mini-plug extension to the helmet speakers installed in my Symax helmet.

With the Bluetooth revolution here, I wanted more. I wanted to include my Ham radio, MP3 and even my hand held CB into a wireless headset. Finding a Bluetooth stereo headset was difficult. However, I did run across a nifty set-up at “Sharper Image” that seemed to have some promises. So I purchased a set (model #AN-106) and took in home.

I use a mixer to include multiple devices to be monitored at one time. The dongle is the transmitter that plugs into the media (or mixer) with a mini-plug that transmits the Bluetooth signal to the wireless headset. The headset fit into the helmet nicely after the plastic headband was removed.

What is good? This set-up is wireless. It transmits up to 30 feet. The stereo sound is excellent. If you ride more than one bike, your tunes can go with you.

What is poor? The Bluetooth headset and dongle have to be recharged after about four hours of use.

My MP3 player is about the size of a matchbook. The dongle is about the size of a peanut. I can drop them into your pocket and I got “tunes on the roll” on what ever bike I may be riding.

das
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Jan 5th, 2006, 1:15 am

Baby steps...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasBike
What is poor? The Bluetooth headset and dongle have to be recharged after about four hours of use.
Unfortunately, that just won't cut it for me. I need at least 3 times that. Four hours isn't even good enough for my Ninja.

Can you recharge on the bike? And how long does it take to recharge?

I do appreciate your post. If you get time to take pics or the whole setup, you outta post them. Or, at least PM me with them. I am interested.
post #3 of 10 Old Jan 5th, 2006, 2:01 am
IBR# 366

Garage
I'm sure you could set up a DC voltage feed to charge the bike portion. As for the helmet, you could always tape a larger battery to your head. Or maybe something smaller and less conspicuous.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

post #4 of 10 Old Jan 5th, 2006, 7:49 am

Hey...post 5000 is coming up for you. Aren't you supposed to go away for awhile?
post #5 of 10 Old Jan 5th, 2006, 10:14 am Thread Starter

Bluetooth

Joe:

The re-charge time is about three hours. I keep a simple set of helmet speakers handy for long rides, if necessary. I'll try to get some photos for you.

das
post #6 of 10 Old Jan 5th, 2006, 10:39 am Thread Starter

Photos

Here you go, Joe. Some simple shots of the headset, dongle, charger with its Y-plug for charging the dongle and receiver at the same time and a shot of the dongle plugged into a palm pilot.

das
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BT1.JPG
Views:	207
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	1448   Click image for larger version

Name:	BT3.JPG
Views:	189
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	1449   Click image for larger version

Name:	BT4.JPG
Views:	213
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	1450   Click image for larger version

Name:	BT5.JPG
Views:	196
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	1451  
post #7 of 10 Old Jan 5th, 2006, 3:01 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Honestly, I hadn't looked for a while. Maybe I'm finally gaining on you . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #8 of 10 Old Jan 5th, 2006, 6:59 pm

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasBike
Here you go, Joe. Some simple shots of the headset, dongle, charger with its Y-plug for charging the dongle and receiver at the same time and a shot of the dongle plugged into a palm pilot.

das
The speakers look rather big, do they pinch your ears? Is it inconvenient to
get in/out of the helmet? Does the "dongle" come with the headset? thx, MT
post #9 of 10 Old Jan 6th, 2006, 1:23 am

Blue tooth in a Nolan

In Europe (Italy) Nolan (flip-up) has just shown blue tooth attached to their helmet which will transmit to any bluetooth device.
post #10 of 10 Old Jan 6th, 2006, 10:02 am

Wink What's the output voltage on that charger?

I can see a trip to "LeShack" to hook that up directly....

And you could rig a little DC input for the helmet for when you're on the bike..
That way the four hours could be while "off" the bike...

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in