Head set for my new K1200LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Dec 14th, 2007, 11:26 pm Thread Starter

Head set for my new K1200LT

I just sold my Harley and bought my first 08 K1200LT. I would like some opinions on head sets for the intercom. What other head sets will work with the BMW? Should I just go with the ones BMW sells?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Dec 14th, 2007, 11:44 pm

Welcome to the LT forum, Charles and congrats on the new LT!

I believe the BMW headsets are made by J&M. My wife & I have these installed in our full face Shoeis. I know some people aren't happy with the J&M earphones, but I really have no complaints. Maybe they improved the quality on the version that I have.

I get a little more road noise than I would like with earphones, though. I'm thinking of going with a custom molded in-ear plug, but keeping the mic.

Kevin
'06 K1200LT
post #3 of 7 Old Dec 14th, 2007, 11:51 pm

http://www.jmcorp.com/

Use this link. J&M makes the BMW headsets. They can also answer any additional questions you may have.

oknplm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccritt13
I just sold my Harley and bought my first 08 K1200LT. I would like some opinions on head sets for the intercom. What other head sets will work with the BMW? Should I just go with the ones BMW sells?

post #4 of 7 Old Dec 15th, 2007, 9:10 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by oknplm
http://www.jmcorp.com/

Use this link. J&M makes the BMW headsets. They can also answer any additional questions you may have.

oknplm
If you do decide to go with J&M & don't want to do the install yourself, ask if they have any authorized dealers near you. I spoke with them when I did my helmet install & they said they could do it if I shipped my helmet out to them. They didn't tell me that there might be a dealer who could install it for me in my area. When I was buying my Gerbings at a local aftermarket shop, I learned that they were an authorized J&M installer. So, I had them install my wife's headset. Much easier than doing it myself.

Kevin
'06 K1200LT
post #5 of 7 Old Dec 15th, 2007, 10:07 am Thread Starter

Thanks- I appreciate the info.
Charlie
post #6 of 7 Old Dec 16th, 2007, 7:26 pm

Local

I saw your post and I just bought a 2008 LT a few months ago from Gulf Coast BMW. All in all it was a good experience with the dealer. I mention this because I live around the corner over in Seabrook. If you see a black LT on the road, it might be me.

I'm struggling with the intercom system now though. I'm trying to figure out the bluetooth HF820 and phone linked to the Garmin Nav III. Heck, I'm not sure what I just said, but its something like that. I've been trolling this website looking for solutions and I think I'm making progess.

I purchased my helmet (Arai) from J&M with buit-in headset, but had to order the connecting cable from Gulf Coast BMW. Make sure and get the driver's longer length cable.

I took her to ride the three sisters over in the hill country about a month ago with this setup and really enjoyed it. Of course, haven't figured out the phone thing yet and frankly don't know if I want too. The whole purpose of the bike for me is the freedom to get away from it all. I'm speaking rhetorically for my self, but why do I want to be able to answer a phone on a bike? Maybe I'll just pass on it and let 'em use the voice mail.

Hooking an Ipod up is cool though.

I'm sure you'll have as much fun as I've been having with the LT. See you on the road.

Last edited by groyal; Dec 16th, 2007 at 7:37 pm.
post #7 of 7 Old Dec 17th, 2007, 10:00 am
Lifetime Supporter

I have an '06 LT with the VOICE COM II. I purchased and had J & M install their head sets in the half helmet skirts that we had ie their Shorty Helmet set up. My bride wanted to keep our helmets so we sent them our skirts so they could put our zippers on thier skirt.

The cords are the J & M ZAL upper and ZWY lower. (For eight pin to six pin set ups like the LT) The upper that goes to the helmet are both the same the lower is the driver (longer) and the passenger (shorter). All works great. I would be careful on getting other than these or the BMW (same ones with the BMW logo) as there are noise issues on the LT re all the electronics. These cords have added noise reduction and diodes to filter that out.

The J & M kits for adding the ear speakers and mic are not that hard to install on your own helmets. They have kits for all types of helmets.

Good luck.

Gene
'06 K1200LT
IBA 31499

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in