Electronically Challenged - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Dec 8th, 2007, 4:34 pm Thread Starter

Electronically Challenged

I have a 2006 K1200LT and plan a trip from Massachusetts to the rally in Gillette next summer and then on to Yellowstone, Glacier and then back. I have the VCII and would like to buy the BMW C.B. "ready-to-go". Do they offer a plug-and-play product? If so, what cost? Mounting? Additional materials required to make it work? By the way, I already have the PTT as I use a FRS radio with my son on his bike. However, he's not going and I recall the trucking community was often helpful in the "old days" when I had a C.B. in my four-wheeler. Appreciate any direction to photos, specs, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Dec 8th, 2007, 11:44 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Hey Hueg,
Please, fill in a bit of your profile.. we like talking to new folks... and don't "sell" your name here.. right Admins??

Anyhow, there are no "plug-n-play" LT gizmo's such as you are looking for. If J&M sells the CB...goes up on the left handlebar and ties into the J&M BMW intercom. Can you say "Cha-ching!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !" ?

Here are some choices:
http://www.bikeintercom.com/products..._intercom.html

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...com-review.htm

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-intercoms/

Here is a place with a picture of the J&M CB http://www.motorcycle-communications...FQIQFQodBjmq8A

For myself, I don't like the "CB Chatter"... the FRS allows direct and discreet communication with my riding buddies.. without a lot of fiddling around.

Now, if you are still sold on a CB for "emergency" I suggest you buy one you can pack on your bike.. a small "emergency" CB radio should suffice.

On my most recent trip I found several of the Truckers have been using the FRS ... so you won't necessarily be "alone"... however, it's your call. For me, it's nice not having the CB cut into my music....or my lovely wife's singing...

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old Dec 8th, 2007, 11:56 pm
Lifetime Supporter

ah... I omitted my personal choice..
www.intaride.com in UK
www.intarideusa.com in USA

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 Old Dec 10th, 2007, 8:43 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehueg
I have a 2006 K1200LT and plan a trip from Massachusetts to the rally in Gillette next summer and then on to Yellowstone, Glacier and then back. I have the VCII and would like to buy the BMW C.B. "ready-to-go". Do they offer a plug-and-play product? If so, what cost? Mounting? Additional materials required to make it work? By the way, I already have the PTT as I use a FRS radio with my son on his bike. However, he's not going and I recall the trucking community was often helpful in the "old days" when I had a C.B. in my four-wheeler. Appreciate any direction to photos, specs, etc.
Just bought and installed the one specifically for the VCII. Part number you need is 71600441937. List is $495.00 Chicago BMW was $395.00. Plus you need the BMW antenna I think the list is $169.00 but this was also less at Chicago BMW.

Two very important points: This is the only BMW cb part number you want as it is the newest version for the VCII. Older ones had issues this one has cured. When I ordered mine it did not even show in the BMW Motorrad catelog web site. Also the BMW antenna needs to be checked upon install to be sure the center wire goes far enough up into the antenna to be engaged by the set screw that connects it to the antenna. Other wise you will have very limited range and will not be able to adjust the SWR.

Please trust me on these two points. Let me know if you plan to do the install yourself. If you have the dealer do it be sure he sands all ground connections and checks that little wire going up into the antenna. install is not that difficult. Most time consuming part is taking off and replacing the tupperware. It is bascally ready to go as the main plug for the VCII is prewired to recieve the din plug from the cb. There are a few more connections to make. Instructions are in the boxes for the CB and the Antenna.

Gene
'06 K1200LT
IBA 31499

post #5 of 7 Old Dec 10th, 2007, 9:10 am
Lifetime Supporter

One more suggestion regarding the FRS. If you have a Kenwood and while you have the tupperware off, go ahead and get a stealth antenna for the Kenwood. As you will have the sting ray apart any way, drill a small hole in it for the antenna cable. I ran mine under the tupperware and mounted it to the inside of the top piece of tupperware on the right handle bar. Out of sight, works better than the rubber duck antenna, and allow the FRS/GMRS radio to fit snuggly in the odiment box with the lid closed.

Gene
'06 K1200LT
IBA 31499

Last edited by GBaker; Dec 10th, 2007 at 9:40 am.
post #6 of 7 Old Dec 10th, 2007, 9:23 am
Lifetime Supporter

Gene.. how about a link to that part? and pics if available, please.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #7 of 7 Old Dec 10th, 2007, 9:34 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfell
Gene.. how about a link to that part? and pics if available, please.
The stealth antenna http://www.autocomamerica.com/produc...roductid/25774

Am very happy with it.

Gene
'06 K1200LT
IBA 31499

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in