New Version of the BMW CB - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Nov 13th, 2007, 10:10 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

New Version of the BMW CB

Any one have the "new" BMW CB part number 716 00 44 1937? Any issues or tips? Supposedly this is the new BMW version (I do not think it is made by J & M) that is to work properly with bikes having the VOICE COMM II.

Supposedly this is the latest one out with some 300 in stock in the US. If you shop on line you will likely get part number 82000419586 but when you go to buy it it says 'limited availability' or part number 71600414267 will show up in the shopping cart also saying 'limited availability'. As info another BMW CB part number 71600412987 has the built in Comm I for rider to passenger.

I ordered the new from Chicago BMW and sure hope there is no howling with it. (pun intended! )

Gene
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Nov 13th, 2007, 8:33 pm

cb radio

One other thing made by J&M. Tim
post #3 of 9 Old Nov 13th, 2007, 8:41 pm

cb radio

Not sure what happened to my reply so I will try again. I have purchased this unit, BMW part # 71600441937. It is made by J&M. First off instructions were very vaque. A lot had to be figured out on your own. Now for the quality, still has a hum or some kind of noise when you push to talk. Noise suppresser, three grounds, all brackets and wire secure and grounded. Instructions alsosay for a better ground use conductive paste or copper paste. If anyone has used this or can help in wher to find I will try and see what happens. Tim 2006 LT

post #4 of 9 Old Nov 14th, 2007, 9:06 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Thank you Tim. Have you had a chance to use it? Does it have good clear reception for the person you are talking too? Do you think the hum is in the lower cord?

I have been told two things re the hum. One is to ground the ground wire that comes from the antenna group of wires at the cb radio end (if this model has one) to the radio/cd chassis in the sting ray. The other is to put a 1/4 or 1/2 watt 1000 ohm resister on your helmet lower cable cord to pin one. This resister is very small and comes in a pack of 5 or six at Radio Shack for less than $2.00. I believe this is what BMW did when they went to a new lower cord. Pin one is shown in the attached diagram in the lower left section where you see the din plug.

one other suggestion was to run a ground wire from the shield of the cb antenna cable to the shield of the am/fm radio antenna. To me this should do the same as running the ground to the radio chassis.

Any way thanks for your input.

Gene
Attached Files
File Type: pdf bmw wire diagram.pdf (51.7 KB, 86 views)
File Type: pdf CB Install BMW.pdf (370.1 KB, 83 views)

Last edited by GBaker; Nov 14th, 2007 at 9:19 am.
post #5 of 9 Old Nov 14th, 2007, 8:26 pm

cb

Gene, I dont know. What I cant figure out is any other bike in this price range you can install straight out of the box and works fine. Why do we have to first guess on how half of the installation process. I dont know of different cords. The noise is very distinct. Sounds like a hum/wind noise. I give up. I guess use it like it is. Instructions were very bad. I have grounds to back of radio etc. I just dont know. Tim
post #6 of 9 Old Nov 15th, 2007, 11:07 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Mine should be here next week and hopefully I will get a half a day for dealing with the tupperware to get it installed over the Thanksgiving Holiday. Once done I will let you know the results.

If you are riding single try turning the passenger headset mic and spkers off at the Comm II dial...

I agree and am also enduring the frustration with this marvel of German engineering.......

Gene
post #7 of 9 Old Nov 15th, 2007, 4:38 pm

cb radio

Gene, Do you use the BMW helmet cords? I have the ones I bought through J&M. Maybe I will thy one. Tim
post #8 of 9 Old Nov 16th, 2007, 8:36 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadking04
Gene, Do you use the BMW helmet cords? I have the ones I bought through J&M. Maybe I will thy one. Tim

No. I have the J & M shorty style headsets that J & M installed on half helmets that we had and they were set up for this bike. The upper cords are that plug into the helmet are their HC-ZAL and the lower cords that plug into the bike are their ZWY. I have had these for about a year and they work fine with the VCII radio, cd player, intercom, and using the ptt for the Kenwood FRS/GMRS radio plugged in the VCII at the odiment box. The Kewood does have to be placed just right or it howls but when it is in the magic spot it works great. I did get the stealth antenna for it that is suppose to help the howl and the range but have not yet tried it on the bike.

Gene
post #9 of 9 Old Nov 19th, 2007, 10:21 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Tim, as information I have confirmed with J & M the cords mentioned above have the resistor and "other" noise elimination features built in specifically for the issues we are talking about. I believe BMW also came out with a new cord as well but as I understand it has the same features as mine probably also made by J & M and is of course a bit more on the price side.

If you have checked your SWR (which can be done even with the humming on transmit) and the antenna can be adjusted to less than 2 at the low, mid and upper channels ( I do 1, 20, and 40) then the antenna is ok. Beyond that I think is either an older lower cord a a bad ground some where in the cb radio installation.

Hopefully mine will arrive in a day or two and I will be able to intall it this week end. Once done I well report the progress or lack there of. Do not look forward to dealing with all the tupperware....

Gene

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in