Can you help me identify my intercom? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Sep 18th, 2007, 10:42 pm Thread Starter

Can you help me identify my intercom?

Greetings, all,

This is my first post. I have lurked for a while and like it here. As a matter of fact, I liked it here so much I just bought a 2003 K1200LT! Ok, that's not the only reason for the purchase, but this does seem to be the place to learn more about my wonderful machine and you guys helped me immensly in my buying decision. (As a matter of fact, what I learned about the linked, assisted braking system saved me no little embarrasment when I rented on prior to purchase!)

But already I have a problem and reason for this post. (Disclaimer: I couldn't find the answer by searching. If I missed it, I apologize.)

Here goes.

The previous owner didn't provide me with any documentation on the intercom system, and it isn't working the way I would expect.

I'll tell you what I know and if anyone can point me toward documentation, or answer my questions at the end I would truly appreciate it. TIA

What I have:
  • The service orders from the previous owner show that he had a line entry saying "Install Auto Comm system." And, the connectors on the bike (where the helmets plug in), are embossed with the word "Autocom."
  • The connectors are round, 7 pin. They are about the same size as the 5 pin DIN connectors I used to have on my Voyager XII, but obviously those won't fit because of the two extra pins. They plug into the headsets that are installed in Nolan N102 helmets (also from the previous owner).
  • I have the CD under the stingray (is that right?) and the 6 CD changer in the right hand side bag.
  • The intercom seems to work and it seems to lower the music at least a bit. But I can't find any adjustments for this.
  • I compared with a friend (who has a 1999 K1200LT) and his intercom is totally different--there is a knob under the stingray that I don't have--nor for that matter do I have one anywhere that I can find.
  • My cable connectors were not run to the nifty little BMW plugs with the dust caps I have seen on other bikes. Instead, I have two cables with the 7 pin connectors I mentioned above, stored under the driver's seat. To use them, I just plug them directly into the helmets--they are long enough to do this.

My questions:
  • When I plug in a helmet, the sound appears on the helmet speakers AND on the bike's speakers. Is this correct?
  • If I go into the music menu and select "speaker off" the sound stops from the bike's speakers...and the helmet speakers. Is this right and is there a way to just get the sound into the headset?
  • Can anyone tell me if they recognize the system I have from the description? Or what else I could provide that would indicate it? And, hopefully where to get documentation?
  • Is this a BMW system? Is the plug (7 pin) even BMW-compatible?
  • Since it's new to me, I'm not particularly attached (nor enamoured) of the intercom as it is. Is there something I could ask the dealer to install in its place that would maybe work better/provide better sound/at least allow me to switch the audio from speakers to helmet?

Custom sig temporarily unavaiulable while I think about it.

Last edited by Lare; Sep 19th, 2007 at 1:26 am. Reason: Typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Sep 19th, 2007, 3:40 am

Welcome to the mad house

Larry

Welcome and conga rats on your new bike. You have one of the newer Autocomm systems (7 pins instead of 5) and details and destruction manuals can be found at www.autocom.co.uk To find out what model you have lift the riders seat then undo the 2 bolts that hold the passenger seat on and follow the wires. Have a look in the Hall of Wisdom and there are install pictures and info.

>When I plug in a helmet, the sound appears on the helmet speakers AND on >the bike's speakers. Is this correct?
Yes - sound comes from the rear speakers so you can fade out the front speakers. I believe there is an Autocom part that will let you switch speakers on or off.

All intercomms are a compromise. Autocom is a pretty good system if it is set up correctly which will require you to put a little time and effort in to get the right VOX settings and into the correct way to use it.

If it was me right now I would wait a little while and build up a bit of experience so you know what you want/need. Baehr do very good systems (and Raffy sells them) and there are a few Bluetooth systems coming on to the market.

Enjoy the new bike

Graham Wintersgill
On the bonnnie bonnie banks of Loch Lomond

2001 K1200LT

1995 K75RT now deceased
post #3 of 13 Old Sep 19th, 2007, 4:03 am

• When I plug in a helmet, the sound appears on the helmet speakers AND on the bike's speakers. Is this correct? <<YES>>
  • If I go into the music menu and select "speaker off" the sound stops from the bike's speakers...and the helmet speakers. Is this right and is there a way to just get the sound into the headset? <<Correct, your Autocom is probably wired into the rear speakers behind the passenger seat>>
  • Can anyone tell me if they recognize the system I have from the description? Or what else I could provide that would indicate it? And, hopefully where to get documentation? <<It sounds like a pro 7 series>>
  • Is this a BMW system? Is the plug (7 pin) even BMW-compatible? <<No, depending on what you mean by bmw compatible. It will work all of your accessories (MP3, cb, radar, gps, etc.)>>
  • Since it's new to me, I'm not particularly attached (nor enamoured) of the intercom as it is. Is there something I could ask the dealer to install in its place that would maybe work better/provide better sound/at least allow me to switch the audio from speakers to helmet? <<Not that I know of. Unless you physically disconnect the rear speakers>>

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT - Sold December 2019
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 Old Sep 19th, 2007, 8:47 am Thread Starter

Thank you very much. Now I wish I could sneak out of work and check on this. (Didn't ride in this morning as I had too much to carry!) I'm embarassed to not have thought of doing a Google search--chalk it up to new owner excitement.

post #5 of 13 Old Sep 19th, 2007, 9:10 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lare
Thank you very much. Now I wish I could sneak out of work and check on this. (Didn't ride in this morning as I had too much to carry!) I'm embarassed to not have thought of doing a Google search--chalk it up to new owner excitement.
I have Autocom units on my LT and my Harley. PM me if I can be of any assistance.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #6 of 13 Old Sep 19th, 2007, 7:42 pm Thread Starter

grahamw: Thank you very much. The link seems to have the documents I need. And thanks for the quick response!

mtrevelino: Based on yours and grahamw's posts I took a deep breath and gathered up the courage to actually remove the rear seat. You were right: I found a control head for a Pro 7 Sport there!

deputy5211: Thank you for your very kind offer. As soon as I know better what I am dealing with, I will take you up on it.

Unfortunately, that last might be a little while off. After a couple hundred miles of riding, all of a sudden I have the 1Hz alternating brake warning lights flashing. I checked fluids, battery and a couple other things found by searching but have decided to take it in to the dealer just in case.

(I will not be discouraged by this turn of events. I will not be discouraged by this turn of events. I will not be discouraged by this turn of events.)

post #7 of 13 Old Sep 19th, 2007, 7:53 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lare
grahamw: Thank you very much. The link seems to have the documents I need. And thanks for the quick response!

mtrevelino: Based on yours and grahamw's posts I took a deep breath and gathered up the courage to actually remove the rear seat. You were right: I found a control head for a Pro 7 Sport there!

deputy5211: Thank you for your very kind offer. As soon as I know better what I am dealing with, I will take you up on it.

Unfortunately, that last might be a little while off. After a couple hundred miles of riding, all of a sudden I have the 1Hz alternating brake warning lights flashing. I checked fluids, battery and a couple other things found by searching but have decided to take it in to the dealer just in case.

(I will not be discouraged by this turn of events. I will not be discouraged by this turn of events. I will not be discouraged by this turn of events.)
You're very welcome. I must add a technical, but cautionary, advisory here before you get too close to the dealer. . . You only said I will not be discouraged by this turn of events three times. If you've really been lurking you should know that the motorcycle gremlins like odd numbers, so you need to make the incantation an even number of times, but you must be very careful to ensure that whatever number you use is not divisible by two, lest even more evil tricks be played by said gremlins.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #8 of 13 Old Sep 19th, 2007, 9:01 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputy5211
You only said I will not be discouraged by this turn of events three times. If you've really been lurking you should know that the motorcycle gremlins like odd numbers, so you need to make the incantation an even number of times, but you must be very careful to ensure that whatever number you use is not divisible by two, lest even more evil tricks be played by said gremlins.
Ack! This seems to require the use of imaginary numbers (which are normally only used to calculate my paycheck.)

------------------------------------------

I read the instructions on the Autocom system a few times and think I understand how it should work, but I guess my question now is "What did BMW intend?" They have a selection for "Speaker Off" which I assumed would turn off the speakers but leave on the headsets. There is also an "Intercom" setting which I guessed would turn off the radio/CD/etc., just leaving the intercom on.

(It appears that the headsets are just wired in parallel with the rear speakers meaning that there is no way to sneak through the neighborhood at 3AM while listening to "Born To Be Wild" in such a way that only _I_ can hear it.)

If these two suppositions are correct, I would think BMW would have a product to take advantage of them and I'm not sure why people are buying the aftermarket ones (Behr, Autocom, etc.) instead.

That's the downside of letting someone else get the original sales pitch. Maybe I'll learn more from the dealer since I have to be there anyway.

Last edited by Lare; Sep 19th, 2007 at 9:09 pm. Reason: Wiring check
post #9 of 13 Old Sep 20th, 2007, 3:49 am

"What did BMW intend?"

Larry

BMW intended that owners spent lots of money on BMW branded equipment that should integrate and just work - maybe, and maybe it did not meet your requirements so people have Autocom, Beahr, Intaride, Starcom, Chatterbox, etc etc fitted instead.

I believe the pro 7 has seperate volume controls so you could turn the intercom volume up and the bike volume down. You can also use the handlebar controls to change the balance between front and rear speakers - fade out the front and it will only be a little loud. You could also plug a MP3 player into the Pro7 and play whatever sort of wierd music you like ;-))))

Graham Wintersgill
On the bonnnie bonnie banks of Loch Lomond

2001 K1200LT

1995 K75RT now deceased
post #10 of 13 Old Sep 20th, 2007, 9:57 am Thread Starter

Ahh, then they are being very successful.

I do not find separate volume controls for the sources, but there is an input jack that (apparently) can go to a switch to change the gain. I've just done a preliminary look at the wiring and started reading the manuals from the link above so I understand it a little better and will play some more when I get the bike back.

Thanks for the help here. This is one of the better-run boards I've ever been on.

post #11 of 13 Old Sep 20th, 2007, 8:57 pm

Here's more answers...

I bought an LT two months ago and I'm getting it ready for a trip next week. It came with an Autocom system and the dealer who put in the electronics/electrics did a hack job. I took everything out and started fresh - running wire where they should be run and labeling everthing.

My Autocom system had about 6 accessories so after reading the web site (the U.S. web site is www.autocomamerica.com) and spending time with a KNOWLEDGEABLE dealer (I ended up buying $300 worth of stuff), here's what I've figured out (from your information)...

You have this installed on your bike: http://www.autocomamerica.com/produc...roductid/25695

You need this: http://www.autocomamerica.com/produc...roductid/25696

I had the latter installed on my bike - so poorly two of the speakers didn't work! Once I cut everything out and reinstalled - it worked perfectly!

Contrary to what most people do, I cut it into the front speakers - a bit trickier (you have to take enought tuppperware off to get underneath the stingray), but I figure I'd be listening to the fronts and want to shut those off.

From what I can tell, it's a great system at a fraction of the cost of the others. But you buy a relatively inexpensive main unit and then get nickel-and-dimed to death - at $60 to $120 a nickel-and-dime!

Good luck and ask more questions if you need to - everyone is really helpful here.

mike
post #12 of 13 Old Sep 21st, 2007, 12:37 am
Lifetime Supporter

Larry,

Good to talk with you this evening. If you need additional assistance, please do not hesitate to call or PM.

The link for Messy 13's multi-input can be found right here!

Regards,
Tony

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

post #13 of 13 Old Sep 21st, 2007, 8:23 am Thread Starter

Thanks again to all the responders. This seems to be a great board and I'm looking forward to learning a lot more and even contributing at some point.

The posts above saved me countless hours of searching and kept me from looking like a total buffoon when I talked to the dealer. That alone was worth the price of admission.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in