What have I got here?? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Sep 5th, 2007, 11:43 am Thread Starter

What have I got here??

I purchased this K1200LT about a month ago. I am "low tech" where electronics are concerned.
This LT apparently has had some communications hardware installed. If this looks or sounds familiar to you, I'd appreciate some advise..
I'd like to install a CB, (I think I would need to go portable because I do not want to add an additional antenna on the back.) I would also like to add a gps devise down the road also..
I have a Autocom PRO-M1 instruction book with the bike, so I figure the unit must have been installed???
Here are 3 pics of the various switches, connectors, etc that I can see.
This connector is in the "tank compartment"

These connectors are coming out from under the left side of the front seat.

This switch is on the left grip.

I never have a passenger (my wife of 30 yrs won't ride with me, for now.)
If I need to retrofit my helmet for speakers, I guess I will.. But I'd rather not.
Also, I'm in the St Louis area, if anyone can recommend someone to help me work with this communications stuff, I'd really appreciate it.
Thanks,
Jeff

08 R1200GSA
04 K12LT (Sold)
97 R1100GS (Sold)
SS1000--IB # 32778
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Sep 5th, 2007, 12:33 pm

Looks like your autocom in still there. To be sure remove the passenger seat & it's probably velcro'd under there. The 2 leads coming from under the seat are for the helmet speakers/microphone (one for rider, one for passenger). The lead in the glovebox looks like it's for an FRS radio. Different manufacturers have different plug styles but yours looks like a Motorola to me. The button on the bar is a 'push to talk' button, so you can talk on your radio without the passenger hearing you (or maybe it's the other way around, I forget...

You can get new helmet speakers/mic. but they're gonna cost $75 or more. If you have no need for the comm. system the good news is you can probably sell it in the classifieds here for up to a couple hundred $$.

You'll be able to hook your CB into the comm. but you'll need a specially made lead available from Autocom for whatever model you get. Same for the GPS.

My advice is keep it, it'll come in handy.

Good luck,
Rick

Rick
'01 LT
post #3 of 5 Old Sep 5th, 2007, 2:43 pm Thread Starter

Rick,
Thanks for getting back to me..

The double type plug in the tank case is on a coiled type cord. Would it hook directly to a portable CB unit? I would have to mount it some where up front right? I guess the cord just comes out the hatch when its hooked up to a CB?

I've not tried one before, can you hear the portable CB units without a headset? Or, do I get the headset, listen to radio & CB thru it?
This stuff is pretty confusing. Is the PRO-M1 an decent system?
Thanks,
Jeff

08 R1200GSA
04 K12LT (Sold)
97 R1100GS (Sold)
SS1000--IB # 32778

post #4 of 5 Old Sep 6th, 2007, 8:34 am

I don't know much about CB types but that plug in your tankbag is usually made for a specific manufactures radio and may not be compatible with a radio that you may currently own. If possible go back to the person you purchased the bike from and ask what radio he was using or try to determine from autocom which cable type you have and for what radios. If all else fails determine what radios Autocom has cables for and purchase that type of radio.

Fred Rosenbaum
NF1U
2006 K1200LT Totaled
2005 R1200GS
post #5 of 5 Old Sep 6th, 2007, 8:48 am

I read a little further down in your post. I am a amateur radio operator and most of our radios use those type plugs for a device called a speaker mike. When you plug that plug into the radio it mutes the radio speaker and routes the incoming audio through the plug to the speaker or headphones. I believe most FRS radios work that way also but I don't know about CB's as I have never used one.
So to answer your question can it be used without a headset. Yes, but with wind noise and with a helmet and gloves I doubt that you would be able to operate the radio.

Fred Rosenbaum
NF1U
2006 K1200LT Totaled
2005 R1200GS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in