Portable Comm Units? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Aug 26th, 2007, 5:30 pm Thread Starter

Portable Comm Units?

Seems, at least those that I have discovered, there are two (2) viable portable COMM units: MIX-IT (#) and the J & M Integratr (so they can't spell). I know folks who have had good success with the Mix-It series, wonder if anyone has any experience with the J & M Integratr?

John
Jacksonville, FL (USA)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Aug 26th, 2007, 11:39 pm

I have one. I like it. And they seem to be getting cheaper. Big knobs. Lots of intuitive adjustments to get it set-up how you want it. Direct headset compatibility and nearly identical functionality to 2006 LT factory intercom. With that, when I have both bikes out, we can swap bikes/riders and just plug in. Decent VOX and lots of aux inputs as well as built in scanning FM radio. No electrical noise problems. Works with multiple FRS/GMRS radios -- I've only used Kenwoods FRS models that work great but bought the Motorola cables also and will eventually try them out. The available PTT switch is an OK design.

Items that aren't perfect:
a) don't be too put off by the high level of hiss in the amp/earphones when you are sitting around in the quiet bike-off environment with low volume setting ... it's easily swamped out as soon as you start the engine and get moving in a real motorcycling environment with wind and road noise and the volume higher.

b) the 12 v slide-on adapter doesn't fit well on the base of mine and can unclip if nudged hard enough. There is another 12 v jack which probably would have been fine to use and skipped the slide-on entirely, but that wasn't clear in the sales literature (at least to me.) It would leave the bottom of the unit and it's power pins exposed though, unless you put the regular battery pack on without its cells in.

These are minor items -- again I'm pretty satisfied.
post #3 of 3 Old Aug 27th, 2007, 7:13 am

I've been using Motocomm's Audioboss for several years. The unit is about the size a of deck of cards and comes with just about every cable you'l need to connect your cell phone, 2-way radio, GPS, iPod, radar detector, and it has it's own built in FM radio. Runs forever of 2 AA batteries. You get 2 headset with 4 mics (2 for open face, 2 for full face). For about $200, it ain't a bad setup.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99K1200LT - "Bertha" - gone, but not forgotten!
'86 Concours - "Horse with no name" (under reconstructive surgery)
'06 K1200GT - "Road Rocket"
Marshall, Tx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in