Autocom bluetooth questions - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Aug 15th, 2007, 3:06 pm Thread Starter

Autocom bluetooth questions

Hello. I have the autocom Super Pro AVI. I was planning on getting a zumo and using its bluetooth capability to pair my cell phone. But, after seeing the weather maps available on some of the Garmin plotters, I've decided I really want those weather maps. These units don't have bluetooth, near as I can tell.

So, my plan is to add a bluetooth module for the autocom, part 1273. I'd just like to get some feedback before I drop my change; autocom didn't respond yet.

Their website says that this part, along with an isolated interface cable, part #1314, will allow you to use your zumo with your phone. I presume this cable is used to connect the zumo to the intercom, and isn't really related to the bluetooth capability at all, or am I missing something? I don't expect to use a zumo, but I just want to make sure this module is all I need to pair my phone.

2nd, I'm guessing only 1 phone can be paired. If I bought a 2nd unit, is it possible for the wife and I to both be able to use our phones while on the bike? Not a big deal, but I'm curious if it's possible.

Thanks for any insight.

When a government takes over a people’s economic life it becomes absolute, and when it has become absolute it destroys the arts, the minds, the liberties and the meaning of the people it governs.
- Maxwell Anderson

Bob
2007 K1200GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Aug 15th, 2007, 6:56 pm

Autoocm and Bluetooth

Bob

I do not have a Zumo but do have an Autocom so my reply is not completely without relevance. Firstly it is my understanding that by pairing your phone with a Zumo all the phones functionality and address book become available on the Zumo screen which is then easier to use with gloves etc. You can then connect the Zumo by wire or over Bluetooth to your comm system and it will act as a 'bridge' to your phone. Bluetooth can pair with more than 1 device but whichever device it pairs with will still connect to the Autocom and how does the Autocom handle a phone? It is my understanding that it will only accept voice from the rider - The passenger may hear but their speech will not be heard by the other party.

Why have a Zumo and another GPS device? connect the audio output from your other device to the relevant port in your autocom and get the bluetooth dongle and pair it directly with your phone. You will not have hte integration but will still be able to recieve calls.

HTH

Graham Wintersgill
On the bonnnie bonnie banks of Loch Lomond

2001 K1200LT

1995 K75RT now deceased
post #3 of 6 Old Aug 15th, 2007, 7:10 pm Thread Starter

That's something I hadn't thought of. It'd be very nice to be able to place calls, besides just receive them. The zumo would be nice for that.

But, it doesn't do weather maps. How can I get it all? Weather maps, navigation, bluetooth phone support, and some decent audio? Any recommendations?

When a government takes over a people’s economic life it becomes absolute, and when it has become absolute it destroys the arts, the minds, the liberties and the meaning of the people it governs.
- Maxwell Anderson

Bob
2007 K1200GT

post #4 of 6 Old Aug 17th, 2007, 12:55 pm

I have a Zumo and I get a current weather map via the XM antenna.

'02 LT Silver
Purchased April 07
77K miles
post #5 of 6 Old Aug 17th, 2007, 3:50 pm Thread Starter

Really? Something like this?

Sorry that I cannot figure out how to get the image to display directly. I can upload the file, but cannot figure out how to get it to display.

Edit: oh sure, it doesn't display in the preview, but hit submit, and ...
Attached Images

- Maxwell Anderson

Bob
2007 K1200GT
post #6 of 6 Old Aug 18th, 2007, 8:23 am

When I subscribed to XM The deal was for programing, about $12 a month, realtime traffic +$7.00 and weather was something like +$50.00 a month . I declined on the weather and got the programing and traffic.
The traffic is only good in certain areas, mostly larger cities. I was surprized that I had a current weather map, showing storms, clouds and lightning and a forecast page. I guess the $50 weather option is for a radar page. I've used the weather map to ride around storms successfully or stop and wait a while for one to pass successfully. It's great to know how big the storm is and how fast it's moving. Here in Florida we get summer storms popping up daily with the seabreezes and I've been getting less wet since I've had the zumo.

'02 LT Silver
Purchased April 07
77K miles

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in