BLUETOOTH Communications - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 Old Aug 6th, 2007, 1:39 pm Thread Starter

BLUETOOTH Communications

OK.... Im seriously looking into a Bluetooth solution for my rides.... I'm curious if anyone has had some experiences they would like to share.... I am leaning towards the BlueAnt Interphone.... Any suggestions are greatly appreciated

http://www.myblueant.com/interphone-...helmet-kit.htm

Nice write-up from Web Bike world
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...h-intercom.htm

Last edited by doios; Aug 6th, 2007 at 4:51 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old Aug 25th, 2007, 2:34 pm

Bluetooth

Just got my Interphone... so far so good, will try it on the road to the CCR in intercom mode and see what happens... it's a bit confusing with the single button operation, beeps, tones, etc and 2 systems... but I suppose practice makes perfect. I hope.

B

"Never enough garage space"

Actually live in San Diego. Can't figure out how to update it. Tried everything.

'14 Ducati Multistrada Gran Turismo
'14 Ducati 899 Panigale
post #3 of 40 Old Aug 25th, 2007, 6:58 pm

Blue tooth novice

With a blue tooth head set does the phone ring in the speaker? I have the Autocom unit and I have the phone stacked with radio and GPS. The phone has to be set on auto answer to be answered in the helmet. If not it just rings and can't be heard. It's a bit odd to be talking to the rider or listening to music and hear..Hello...Hello from a caller. I would like to use the phone more on the bike.

Tony 05

post #4 of 40 Old Aug 27th, 2007, 12:00 pm Thread Starter

Brainfry

Please keep me posted on how it worked out!

BUGKILLER
The Blueant will notify you of an incoming call and if the cell phone is smart enough it will tell you who it is (supposably) You also have the option to except or reject call.... But with you already having the Autocom unit. the Blueant would probably not be the best solution for you... It would require you to have 2 mouth pieces and 3 speakers in your helmet.. Also the blueant does not intergrate with the bikes sound system
post #5 of 40 Old Aug 28th, 2007, 12:29 am

You may want to hang on too,

We are a forum sponsor who happens to distribute the Blueant Interphone, Cardo Scala and a brand new unit, that will be hitting the market in about 1-2 weeks.

It is called the IMC Camos, if you are looking for a high quality audio solution the Camos has real speakers on it that not only provide better call quality than either the Blueant or Cardo, but also supports A2DP, which will let you stream stereo music from another A2DP device (smartphone, ipod w/ adapter etc.)

Plus it uses Bluetooth 2.0 which has over 3x the bandwith capacity of the other units on the market.

So the Camos 600 can pair with another unit for a full duplex passenger-rider wireless intercom. It is a two channel system so if you are listening to music on the first channel and the intercom channel is activated it will mute the first channel (most likely music + cellphone) so you can talk to the passenger, when the conversation is over, the music resumes.

All for a similar price point to the Cardo and Blueant, and the unit was engineered in Germany, and is not merely a bluetooth headset with a boom mic.

The Cardo and Blueant are great units, however I really think the Camos is going to be the first unit that is a real piece of comm equipment.

Check out the product http://www.benchmarkhelmets.com/prod...h-headsets_17/

and manual http://www.benchmarkhelmets.com/Camo...00%20Bluetooth .

Feel free to ask any questions on any of the units as we can get you to a BMW retailer that has what you are looking for.

Cheers
post #6 of 40 Old Aug 28th, 2007, 3:55 am

benchmarkhelmets dude . . . umm . . . do you have a name? I would like to call you and discuss my next purchase(s) with you. Or should I just call and ask for "benchmarkhelmets dude"?

I'm just starting to shop for a new cellphone, and I think it just may be time to rethink my whole comm system for the GT. I LOVE the functionality of what I currently have...but I want to get rid of the wires to the helmets. Perhaps the Cardo is the solution.
post #7 of 40 Old Aug 28th, 2007, 5:49 am
cws

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by benchmarkhelmets
Feel free to ask any questions on any of the units as we can get you to a BMW retailer that has what you are looking for.

Cheers
Hi BMH! Any bluetooth "module" solution you know of for connecting a new Nokia 6131 to an Autocom? My old 7310(?) connected and auto-answered OK via cable connection, the 6131 is supposed to do the same, but the connector doesn't seem to work with it.
So I'm hoping I can find a bluetooth device that will connect via cable to the autocom port, so it allows the auto-answer from the phone (via bluetooth) and pipes it through the autocom....
Dont want to change the whole autocom unit just for the phone though...
Does this make any sense??
cheers

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #8 of 40 Old Aug 28th, 2007, 6:55 am

Benchmarkhelmets,

Is there any possibility we could set up a group buy on any of these units?

Kevin

1999 K1200LT, patiently waiting for a new model.

Slave Cylinder Procedure->
post #9 of 40 Old Aug 28th, 2007, 7:26 am

I still live in the electronic stone age. My Treo 600 is not bluetooth enabled. I don't own an iPod. My GPS is not bluetooth. So here's what i would love to see someone come out with: a "black box" that you could plug your non-bluetooth cell phone, GPS, radar, MP3 player, etc into and have it talk using bluetooth to you headset. The "black box" could sit in my tankbag or under the seat. So far the new Autocom sounds like it's the closest thing.

'99K1200LT - "Bertha" - gone, but not forgotten!
'86 Concours - "Horse with no name" (under reconstructive surgery)
'06 K1200GT - "Road Rocket"
Marshall, Tx

post #10 of 40 Old Aug 28th, 2007, 1:09 pm

Okay,

First my name is Spencer, I am the sales manager down at Benchmark Helmets. I am a technofile, however I am a sport bike guy who is just starting to get into the whole com side of the motorcycle world.

Messenger 13,
I was told by the IMC/Camos person that a bluetooth adapter is in development for the BMW audio output, meaning it would sync with a Bluetooth helmet headset, thus eliminating the wires. I was also told it would be Bluetooth 2.0, so it would support hi-fi audio and hopefully some sort of prioritizing, we are hoping to see a finished product around November.

CWS,
for the bluetooth module you would need to contact Autocom, I don't really know that much about how devices interface with their units, if they have a Bluetooth module just ask if it supports the hands free protocol, and make sure your phone will support it as well. All of the bluetooth headsets we distribute support this however you would just be bypassing the Autocom.

Kevin Cook,
I really would like to get a forum retailer involved in any group buy, we could offer them a discount and they could pass it on to you guys via a coupon code. I will work on that.

dwsdad,
We actually received a device prototype from China that does what you want however it was powered off regular alkaline batteries which we did not like that much, plus we would have to retail it for 300 dollars, however the product is almost there, with a little development I think we will have a solution. Does the autocom sync via Bluetooth with a headset? Isn't it fairly expensive.
post #11 of 40 Old Aug 28th, 2007, 6:18 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Welcome, Spencer!

1. Ballpark, how much would we be talking? I see the blueants on EBay for about $190 each if you buy two, is that roughly what we could expect?

2. Forum members here seem to be going apesh*t over the Garmin Zumo, I'm assuming this new system is going to interface with it seamlessly?

3. Stereo speakers for in the helmet? (and thus Zumo interface for listening to xm-radio and mp3's?)

4. the thing that makes me ALMOST buy the blueant is the ability to use it for rider-to-passenger intercom as well, does this mystery-system-to-be-unveiled-in-november do the same?

"If you build it, it will sell" is going to be your experience with THIS bunch, particularly if you find a way to make the price reasonable and the product does something the others don't do and it has noise cancelling and can interface with the autocomm and OEM systems...keep in mind when you set up the group buy that there are over 11,000 members on this forum, the demographics for this group are significantly different from the typical online motorcycle forum (higher disposable income, horrific addiction to "farkles" and all things electronic, and unbelievable keep-up-with-the-Joneses when it comes to "hey, look what I bought"), so cut us a sweetheart deal and you'll definitely make it up on volume!

Pete
[email protected]

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
post #12 of 40 Old Aug 29th, 2007, 6:53 pm

Price for the 500 is $150
Price for the 600 is $200

The differnece between the two is that the 600 has another channel that you can use to connect to another 600 for full duplex rider/passenger intercom.

More details on both can be found at http://www.benchmarkhelmets.com/prod...h-headsets_17/

Pre-orders can be placed for each with the following links
500 - http://www.scootershop.com/catalog/p...oducts_id=2544
600 - http://www.scootershop.com/catalog/p...e8c8108ce88278

Regarding the zumo, to our knowledge, it does not broadcast in stereo. We'll have adapters that can be hooked up shortly, which will send all audio from zumo or any device with a 3.5mm out to the headset.
post #13 of 40 Old Aug 29th, 2007, 10:54 pm
cws

Garage
Thanks for the feedback, Spencer! Seems the Autocom bluetooth attachment is around Au$195.00 from the Distributor. cheers Chris

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #14 of 40 Old Aug 30th, 2007, 4:23 am

Well Spencer, those prices sure are attractive. I'll keep this product in mind once I have my new bluetooth phone and I'm ready to get rid of the wires once and for all. I may just can my current IntaRide intercom system altogether and figure out what I need for an entirely new system.
post #15 of 40 Old Sep 4th, 2007, 3:34 pm Thread Starter

benchmarkhelmets,(Spencer)
What about rider to rider. The Blueant Interphone claims a range of up to 500 feet. Does the IMC Camos have simular capability?
post #16 of 40 Old Sep 4th, 2007, 3:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by doios
benchmarkhelmets,(Spencer)
What about rider to rider. The Blueant Interphone claims a range of up to 500 feet. Does the IMC Camos have simular capability?
if you are looking for 1 to 1 ranged intercom, the interphone is an excellent choice. the intercom on the camos is meant for rider passenger without any additional devices. if you have a bluetooth radio, i would go for the camos, then you can have miles of range and multiple users. for riders that are 2-up, i would reccomend the camos units.
post #17 of 40 Old Sep 4th, 2007, 11:55 pm
cws

Garage
Had an interesting chat with my Autocom distributer about Bluetooth sets while sorting my phone connection issue.
(BTW, there is a newer moulded-style pop-port connector from Autocom for Nokia phones that has 1 pin in a different position to the old square connectors, and it works with my new phone... so no need for BT for me at the moment...) but I digress....
He commented that with the Autocom (or I suppose by any bike mounted comms) being powered by the bike (9 volts required for my unit) they have much better amplification than the much lower-powered (small battery operated) BT headsets (Blueant etc) and therefore will perform much better, and particularly at higher speeds with excessive wind noise.
Any comments from a BT headset owner??

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #18 of 40 Old Sep 5th, 2007, 5:46 pm

spencer...

how about posting some photos of the camos...

you gotta eat...

owrstrich
post #19 of 40 Old Sep 5th, 2007, 7:03 pm

Dainese Airstream Course

I have a Dainese Airstream Course bluetooth helmet, and I'm pretty happy with it. It's on the expensive side, but it's a good helmet in its own right, quiet even fully in the airstream, and the venting is nice.

I got it mainly for use with the BMW Nav III GPS system, and it works fine with it. (Once the software in the GPS is updated.) Pairing wasn't a problem, and it functions as a headset with my Nokia phone, through the GPS or directly.

I really like that it's so well integrated. I've had a bunch of bike to bike systems and I really got tired of clip on boxes and ripping the helmet apart to shove in headphones (Chatterbox!)

My only complaint is that it seems to reset the volume to the default level (4 of 6) on each new 'connection', and each new phrase from the Nav III counts as a new connection. So while it works fine to turn up the volume for a phone call, I effectively can't turn up the volume for the Nav voices because it just goes back after a couple of seconds.

Even so, the default volume is loud enough even over my earplugs at low speeds. At highway speeds I can barely tell there's audio there, but then, I don't need nav instructions or make phone calls then.

I haven't tried the intercom feature yet because I don't know of anyone else with this helmet. (And I'm not willing to spend $400+ for the few times I do 2-up.) And, honestly, until there's a bluetooth profile for intercom it's kind of a wash, because the odds of some other rider having the same system are pretty low.

What I'd really like to find is a FRS system that can interact with the bluetooth headset. I think FRS is the way to go for bike-to-bike. More channels, unlimited participation, and it's easy to do bike-to-car as well.
post #20 of 40 Old Sep 5th, 2007, 7:34 pm

owstrich,

We are having a video done that will really illustrate how the Camos mounts to the various helmets out there.

Bob,

We should have a prototype bluetooth frs radio here within the next two weeks. The unit would be paired with the second channel of the Camos 600 and would effectively interrupt whatever devices/devices you are using on channel one.

It will be exciting to see, and test on my next tip up north.
post #21 of 40 Old Sep 5th, 2007, 7:42 pm

CWS,

The Bluetooth 2.0 protocol supports bandwidth of ~2.1mb/s which is enough to ensure hi fidelity audio, we are testing a bluetooth adapter that also has an amplifier built in. Needless to say with similar bandwidth and amplification, I don't see any reason for why I would need louder audio than what I have tested thus far.

Hope I am making sense.
post #22 of 40 Old Sep 13th, 2007, 9:25 pm

[QUOTE=benchmarkhelmets]
I was told by the IMC/Camos person that a bluetooth adapter is in development for the BMW audio output, meaning it would sync with a Bluetooth helmet headset, thus eliminating the wires. I was also told it would be Bluetooth 2.0, so it would support hi-fi audio and hopefully some sort of prioritizing, we are hoping to see a finished product around November.

As I understand it, the above adapter connects the music sources already present in the LT wirelessly to the Camos 600 headsets.

Without that adapter, an MP3 player with A2DP capability would be required to transmit music. True?

If this is correct, I would be interested in participating in a group-buy for Camos 600 headsets and the BMW audio output adapter.
post #23 of 40 Old Sep 19th, 2007, 11:51 am

i scored 2 of the camos bhs600 units... i got them from the scooter shop in orange ca... we stay a couple miles away from there about 6 months out of the year so it made good sense... they were shipped same day and arrived two days later... so far so good... www.scootershop.com

today im going to mount them to our symax helmets... this weekend we are doing a 2 up in the sierras out of tulare... i will post the install photos... i will post a report on their performance after our weekend ride...

we are only using them as intercom this weekend... when we get that figured out we will move onto music input... we dont use gps or bluetooth cell so its just intercom and music for now...

here is what we got so far...

you gotta eat...

owrstrich
post #24 of 40 Old Sep 19th, 2007, 1:19 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I'm very interested in these. Once a cost effective, bluetooth 2.0-enabled transmitter/dongle is available to mix my existing audio sources and pipe them over BT, I'm there. J&M has one now but it's PRICEY and doesn't yet integrate GPS voice (just cell and radar).

Todd R.
Grapevine, TX USA

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

"You will now be thrown into the Obamaucracy. In his belly you will find a new definition of pain and suffering as you are slowly taxed to death over the next four years."
post #25 of 40 Old Sep 19th, 2007, 1:37 pm

im with you hd...

i didnt picture the other mic above... there is a another mic that isnt on a boom for full face... just a wire from camos to mic on end... at least you got a better look at the hardware...

this thing has lotts of cord so mounting can be anywhere on the helmet... gonna figure it out after work today...

you gotta eat...

owrstrich
post #26 of 40 Old Sep 30th, 2007, 11:30 am

here is the camos report...

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...805#post226805

you gotta eat...

owrstrich
post #27 of 40 Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 2:24 pm

bluetooth 2.0 stereo adapter

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...717#post227717

you can now make your ipod or any device with a 3.5mm (standard headset) port transmit stereo sound with out any wires

it is now available through our dealers, please check the link

Last edited by cyclebots; Oct 2nd, 2007 at 2:39 pm.
post #28 of 40 Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 3:19 pm

in-ear speakers/FTM-10RS

It's hard to tell what the plug for the speakers looks like, but I assume you could lose the speakers and use custom in-ear speakers with the unit? Also, you should try to get your hands on a Yaesu FTM-10SR and the BT boards as soon as they are available. That radio is intended for motorcycle use and is the first amateur radio I know that is to have BT capabilities. If the Camos works well with it, you will sell a bunch to hams.
post #29 of 40 Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 5:50 pm

A UK company has also produced a BT device for ham rigs called TalkSafe (http://www.rpf-comms.com/). Don't know about availability in the US, but may be of interest.

Kev
post #30 of 40 Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 8:47 am
Lifetime Supporter

I'll be looking for rider reports on the Benchmarkhelmets product...
Looks like someone's been doing their homework....

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

post #31 of 40 Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 2:18 pm Thread Starter

Hey everyone.... Has anyone looked at the bluesonic helmet system
http://www.schuberth.com/
post #32 of 40 Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 3:37 pm

the mic wire has a connector for hooking up either the full face mic or the open face mic... its the wire with the little white connector in the speaker / mic the photo above...

unless im missing something... the speakers wires are molded into the main camos unit... which means no speaker replacement or ear bud install without a solder iron and some shrink tube... which would void the 2 year mfr warranty...

you gotta eat...

owrstrich
post #33 of 40 Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 4:34 pm

Amateur Radio

Kev, I looked at the product you referred to in your post. It is really for radios that don't have BT built-in. The Yaesu FTM-10SR and FTM-10R have BT accessory boards that will go directly in the radio, so the products you referenced add nothing. The radios are available, but the BT products have not yet hit the states although they are available elsewhere. If the CAMOS will pair with the FTM's and provide good quality audio, that will be a winner.
post #34 of 40 Old Oct 4th, 2007, 6:34 am

Owrstrich - I've read all of your posts and think you've done a fine job of evaluating the camos. Here's my dilema... I've leaving on a trip in a week and need intercom capability. Bluetooth seems much better since you don't have to be connected to anything/anyone with wires. I think I'm ready to pull the trigger and buy the camos system today. I just want a any additional feedback you feel might push me in that direction. Does the bulk of the unit attached outside the helmet cause you any issues? Your help is greatly appreicated!
post #35 of 40 Old Oct 4th, 2007, 1:46 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by benchmarkhelmets
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...717#post227717

you can now make your ipod or any device with a 3.5mm (standard headset) port transmit stereo sound with out any wires

it is now available through our dealers, please check the link
Very cool! So the 600 headset and this adapter should convert my existing audio system to BT... Very tempting...

Todd R.
Grapevine, TX USA

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

"You will now be thrown into the Obamaucracy. In his belly you will find a new definition of pain and suffering as you are slowly taxed to death over the next four years."
post #36 of 40 Old Oct 4th, 2007, 8:32 pm

GeezerBeemer66...

since getting the camos we have been on 2 all day rides and a few short rides... so our experience is very limited to date...

since we got the speaker location and the speaker mounting dialed in we have absolutely no buyers remorse...

we got the camos on the side out in the air stream... we dont notice they are there... they are physically small and dont have much weight to them...

however we have been thinking about putting them on the back completely out of the air stream... but we would have to put a slit in the liner and fish the cord through the slit in attempt to prevent cord damage...

anyway... our experience with the intercom is 100% positive at this point... we are gonna pair them up to a music player and a two way radio on other channels very soon... then we will know how well they integrate with other devices...

if you do pull the trigger... i would read the benchmark instructions and toss the german to english babblefished instructions that come with the units...

http://www.benchmarkhelmets.com/Camo...00%20Bluetooth

we got ours from chris bradley at...
http://www.scootershop.com/catalog/i...c31ff468784344

he was totally pro and delivery was lightening fast...

at this point we are happy and think they are quality intercom units...

the only thing that would make them better is dinner at gray brothers along the way...

you gotta eat...

owrstrich
post #37 of 40 Old Oct 19th, 2007, 12:46 pm

Shuberth Bluesonic

Does anyone have any experience with the Shuberth Bluesonic System http://www.schuberth.com/? It seems that the electronics for this system can be built into 1 of their helmets so that there is no ugly interface mounted on the outside of the helmet. I want to interface a Garmin Zumo 550 and a Valentine1 to the helmet system.
post #38 of 40 Old Dec 11th, 2007, 2:06 am

Camos control

I recently purchased a Camos headset and I can't control the volumn. I paired it to my Zumo and have used the volumn controls in it but it doesn't change the volumn in the headset. I have also tried the volumn buttons on the camos but still no control. right now its incredibly loud. Does anyone have any suggestions?
post #39 of 40 Old Dec 11th, 2007, 8:50 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridewfo
I recently purchased a Camos headset and I can't control the volumn. I paired it to my Zumo and have used the volumn controls in it but it doesn't change the volumn in the headset. I have also tried the volumn buttons on the camos but still no control. right now its incredibly loud. Does anyone have any suggestions?

give us a call and we can see how you have everything set up.

Benchmark Helmets
post #40 of 40 Old Dec 26th, 2007, 12:37 pm Thread Starter

I got the Blueant Intercom system

Well christmas has come and gone and I finally got the Blueant Intercom (2 sets).... And I love it... Come to find out... the system uses the same pin-out as my old helmet head set from when i tried the cobra FRS 2 way radios

http://www.headsetusa.com/Merchant2/...y_Code=KC01-05

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in