06 Intercom System Question - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Aug 6th, 2007, 1:08 pm Thread Starter

06 Intercom System Question

2006 LT with the factory audio system (VOICE II, I believe) with J&M headsets in both rider & passenger and genuine BMW cords connecting headsets to the bike.

Stereo sound in single or both helmets is perfect.
When attempting to use the intercom, speaking into the mike (and only when speaking into the mike) radio sound cuts out for the obligatory 4-seconds then returns. When speaking continues, radio sound stays off, the resumes 4-seconds after voice stops. Rider can't hear passenger and passenger can't hear rider.
Played with the "mic" settings on the control panel. That function appears to control threshold settings that govern when the mic is "Active".

Logic leads me to believe the sound system is installed properly as I have always been able to hear radio with no issues. Also leads me to believe the microphones are working and the bike recognizes the microphone as the radio sound cuts out when speaking. Volume for all other functions is perfect and is adjustable at the front bars, the rear control, and through the system control unit.

Is there a volume control for just the spoken word that I'm simply missing?
Any shared wisdom before calling the dealership would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Aug 6th, 2007, 2:26 pm

Voice Ii

Well, I see just as I was going to post a question about the cell connection. I have an 07 but the sound systemis the same. My intercom works, but I have to remind my pillon to keep the mike close to her mouth.

I have yet to get a cell phone set up to work. I have a Palm Treo that DOES recieve calls, I can hear the caller but they cannot hear me UNLESS I am very slow or stopped. I don't know whether it is the system or maybe they can hear my voice through the mic of the phone. I have the same problem withthe Motorola 820 Blue tooth (the Palm does not ring in the helmet, the 820 does)

VERY FRUSTRATING \, I hada 99 modle and a 04 and they worked perfect.

Milton
post #3 of 12 Old Aug 6th, 2007, 3:47 pm

Milton,
As I read your problem description with the Palm phone I was wondering what you are using for the connection cable. I bought mine from BMW and I think it has 3 or four sections to the pin that plugs in. I will check when I go out to the bike. If you cable does not support enough conductors that would be the reason the mike is not working. I'll check but I think it takes four conductors, Right ear Left Ear, Mike and Ground. I think the mike is on the end so if you put in a three conductor pin it does not reach the mike connection. On my old PDA phone I could plug a 3 conductor ear bud plug in to listen to music in stereo but the hands free had a longer plug to reach the mike connection.

Bruce

Bruce Buchner
2017 R1200RT Platinum Bronze Metallic
2012 R1200RT Fluid Grey Metallic (Little Girl) Traded on the 2017 RT
2007 K1200LT Storm Grey Metallic (Big Girl) Traded on the 2017 RT
2001 325XI 4dr Sold
1967 2000CS Coupe (Left it in Germany)

post #4 of 12 Old Aug 6th, 2007, 4:10 pm

I did buy the 4 pin cord and I have the same problem.

I really think the Palm just doesn't like the BMW intercom. The palm works fine with a 3 pin ear bud, but there is a stereo ear bud set WITH the mic and it has 4 pins.

Thanks
post #5 of 12 Old Aug 6th, 2007, 4:32 pm

I have an 05 with Voice II. My wife and I spent a little time getting the setting correct and it has worked perfectly since. I do remember the sensitivity on my wife's mike was set very low. Also, there are separate volume controls for rider and passenger. It would seem the system is recognizing the headsets since the radio cuts out. If you like send me a message and I will tell you what my settings are. I use a Motorola phone plugged in the phone plug that works fine. It doesn't ring so the caller has to talk first but everything else works.
post #6 of 12 Old Aug 6th, 2007, 6:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by coxm
I have an 05 with Voice II. My wife and I spent a little time getting the setting correct and it has worked perfectly since. I do remember the sensitivity on my wife's mike was set very low. Also, there are separate volume controls for rider and passenger. It would seem the system is recognizing the headsets since the radio cuts out. If you like send me a message and I will tell you what my settings are. I use a Motorola phone plugged in the phone plug that works fine. It doesn't ring so the caller has to talk first but everything else works.

I got the intercom and volume settings figured out, its just the #$%^&* problem withthe cell phone. Would really like to hear from anybody that has used (sucessfully) the Palm Treo 750 withthe VOICE II

Thanks

Milton
post #7 of 12 Old Aug 7th, 2007, 9:19 am

Same Cell problem with Nokia

I have the adapter from Nokia that takes the wide multipin connection to a 3 contact pin connector....I can walk around all day with a cheap computer headset and the phone will work fine....but through the VOICE II it is intermittent on being able to hear and completely worthless on the mike side. Dealer says it's the cell phone, but can't explain why the phone works fine with a conventional headset.

Same phone, same adapter worked fine with my old $100 Chatterbox setup.

Duane
Mag Black 2006 LT

Three loves - motorcycles, good wine, and contrabassoon...none of which mix. Engineer by day to pay for them all.
post #8 of 12 Old Aug 7th, 2007, 10:48 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane_in_Florida
I have the adapter from Nokia that takes the wide multipin connection to a 3 contact pin connector....I can walk around all day with a cheap computer headset and the phone will work fine....but through the VOICE II it is intermittent on being able to hear and completely worthless on the mike side. Dealer says it's the cell phone, but can't explain why the phone works fine with a conventional headset.

Same phone, same adapter worked fine with my old $100 Chatterbox setup.

I really think there is a gain problem with some cell phone mic line output or speaker output which holds the line open. I am relieved that you have the same problem. If I discover a fix I will post.

Big beautiful piece of wood in a contra bassoon, I played English horn and trumpet.

Milton
post #9 of 12 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 8:06 am Thread Starter

Appears as if this has turned into a "How do I connect my cell-phone" thread....... but thanks anyway
post #10 of 12 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 9:06 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxOily
Appears as if this has turned into a "How do I connect my cell-phone" thread....... but thanks anyway
I also have an '06... I even tried to get mine to replicate what I think your having in the way of a problem. If you speak, the mic fires, you should hear yourself speaking to the pillion and the pillion should hear you. If what you are experiencing is no com traffic to the pillion or the pillion to you, you could have a bad Comm II unit.

There is a setting for volume to the individual helmet speakers, but it handles the volume for all sounds. Having said all this, I would eliminate the headsets, cables and connections as being the problem. That leaves the Comm II unit. Get the dealer to replace it.

HTH...

Uncle Mark

BMW '06' 1200LT "Wild Blue"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BMWMOA Member #127457
Honda CX500 Custom - RIP '00'

"An intelligence agency that FEARS intelligence? Historically, not awesome." . . . From what movie?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #11 of 12 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 9:26 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeler34
I got the intercom and volume settings figured out, its just the #$%^&* problem withthe cell phone. Would really like to hear from anybody that has used (sucessfully) the Palm Treo 750 withthe VOICE II

Thanks

Milton
One of the things I have found is that the newer "got all the bells and whistles" cell phones have too many bells and whistles. I spent the better part of a month trying to get my Cing 8125 to work on Wild Blue. Fugedaboutit! Won't happen...

My solution is rather simple. I picked up a Motorola v551 "unlocked" off the internet for $30... (brand new with battery and cell charger no less) I swap my chip from the 8125 to the V551 for long rides. Works as advertised. When I am just going down the road to work, I leave the 8125 in my pocket. I figure if someone has to get a hold of me that bad, they can leave a message.

Moral to all this... I spent way too much time trying to figure out the same thing you guys are trying to figure out. I know the V551 worked and that's what I reverted to. Yeah, I have to switch the chip... But it does work!

'06 with a Comm II and everything works as advertised...

Uncle Mark

BMW '06' 1200LT "Wild Blue"

BMWMOA Member #127457
Honda CX500 Custom - RIP '00'

"An intelligence agency that FEARS intelligence? Historically, not awesome." . . . From what movie?

post #12 of 12 Old May 14th, 2008, 10:41 am

Re: 06 Intercom System Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeler34
I really think there is a gain problem with some cell phone mic line output or speaker output which holds the line open. I am relieved that you have the same problem. If I discover a fix I will post.

Big beautiful piece of wood in a contra bassoon, I played English horn and trumpet.

Milton
Any luck yet discovering a fix for the cell phone connection?

I have an 02 LT, factory intercom (BC3 I think?) Palm Treo 755 (Sprint), and the factory 8" cell phone cable.

I can hear, but nobody can hear me.

I also have the Zumo 550 and have ordered the external Microphone as a work around. It arrives tomorrow.

I would rather use the BMW intercom for the phone...one less wire to the helmet.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in