Bike audio to intercom? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Aug 4th, 2007, 10:28 am Thread Starter

Bike audio to intercom?

Hey guys, how do I hook up bike audio to a budget intercom system with a 1/8“ female stereo plug for audio input, designed for MP3 player / Walkman type levels.

My first thought was to tap the rear speaker wires and use somewhere around 200k resistors and run the bike volume barely cracked open but I’m sure many here have already traveled this road. The intercom, an IMC Mit100, also uses bike power. Do I need a ground loop isolator on this input or just the el‘cheapo Radio Shack 1:1 transformers?

If anyone knows the color coding of the rear speaker wires also please chime in, it would save me some time!

Thanks
Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Aug 4th, 2007, 11:04 am

Yellow/Blue = Left ( + positive)
Yellow = Left ( - negative)
Blue/Red = Right ( + positive)
Blue/Grey = Right ( - negative)

Although I used RadioShack's GLI cable for many devices on my LT, this wasn't one of them. I didn't use resistors either, but I did throw an inline volume control in there to trim that signal down quite a bit before my intercom unit. RadioTrash sells a little inline volume control for about $7. You can also use the LT's fader control to lower the signal to the rear speaker leads...but I found the inline volume control gave me much more versatility between headset and rear speaker volume.

HTH
post #3 of 10 Old Aug 4th, 2007, 12:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Is this the same for the fronts?

TIA

mike

post #4 of 10 Old Aug 4th, 2007, 1:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbiker
Don't know. Not sure why it would matter though, when the rear connector is so easy to get at...(just remove the rear saddle). Getting to the front connector involves left-side Tupperware removal.

Unless you're asking for an entirely different purpose.
post #5 of 10 Old Aug 4th, 2007, 3:15 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Joe. I was hoping you would stumble across my thread! I'll get to the Shack sometime this weekend and pick one up along with the other goodies I'm going to need to try to get the ever dreaded background hum removed from the gmrs and gps. If someone has an extra Baehr just taking up space send me a pm and I'll store it for you for a few years, for free.

Quote:

Although I used RadioShack's GLI cable for many devices on my LT, this wasn't one of them. I didn't use resistors either, but I did throw an inline volume control in there to trim that signal down quite a bit before my intercom unit. RadioTrash sells a little inline volume control for about $7. You can also use the LT's fader control to lower the signal to the rear speaker leads...but I found the inline volume control gave me much more versatility between headset and rear speaker volume.

HTH
post #6 of 10 Old Aug 4th, 2007, 3:26 pm

Exclamation One more word of advise...

Make sure you splice into those wires BEFORE the connector, and not aft. You still want to be able to disconnect that barrell connector to the top box and remove it without messing with your cable to the intercom unit. Follow? I've heard of a few guys screwing themselves splicing into the wrong side. DoH!!!
post #7 of 10 Old Aug 4th, 2007, 5:14 pm Thread Starter

Even after multiple beverages I dont think I could have done that, but thanks for pointer .

Quote:
Make sure you splice into those wires BEFORE the connector, and not aft. You still want to be able to disconnect that barrell connector to the top box and remove it without messing with your cable to the intercom unit. Follow? I've heard of a few guys screwing themselves splicing into the wrong side. DoH!!!
post #8 of 10 Old Aug 5th, 2007, 1:12 am

Thanks for this info! I've got a MIT100 due here monday, and was wondering the same thing!

BTW...the RS inline volume control *is* a resistor ( pair, for stereo ) but is adjustable to the value you want/need.

I was also contemplating a switched connector of some sort, to mute the bike's speakers while the MIT100 is connected/in use.....or perhaps some switch inline.

...Bob
2001 K1200LT der LadungsTräger
1978 GL1000
post #9 of 10 Old Aug 5th, 2007, 10:48 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbiker

mike
No, but close. Sorry I'm not using the colorful method but

front left yellow / red +
front left yellow / purple -

front right blue / red +
front right blue -

Motor On ,/'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 10 Old Aug 5th, 2007, 11:34 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky_k1200lt
I was also contemplating a switched connector of some sort, to mute the bike's speakers while the MIT100 is connected/in use.....or perhaps some switch inline.
No need sparky. If you turn up that inline volume control all the way, there's very little coming out of the rear speakers. Almost as if they are turned OFF. And using the LT's fader control works well for this purpose too. Fade all music to the front speakers with just one click to the rears.

HTH

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in