Anyone ever panel mount the Autocom jacks? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Jul 31st, 2007, 10:20 pm Thread Starter

Anyone ever panel mount the Autocom jacks?

Hi All,

I'd like to find jacks I can panel mount so I can plug the Autocom headsets into the bike and not the Autocom pigtails for driver and passenger.

I've seen the BMW intercom connections that sit next to the powerlet outlets and look just like 'em (they're twins). That's the look I'm trying to get.

Has anyone done this? Where'd you get the panel mount jacks? Part numbers would help, if you've done it.

I searched the forum but don't see anyone who's done this.

TIA.

mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Jul 31st, 2007, 10:24 pm

You need to check the old, archived forum. I don't remember part numbers, but it's doable. Had to buy the springed closing cap seperately. Mine was installed in the leetle piece just in front of the seat and behind the oddments box.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old Aug 1st, 2007, 2:00 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
Had to buy the springed closing cap seperately. Mine was installed in the leetle piece just in front of the seat and behind the oddments box.
Exactly what I had in mind. Don't want the cable going up to where the speakers are and since I have an '05, the spot down below where BMW put them in on the older models makes me nervous - don't want to get tangled in a cable when I put my feet down - though I suppose it could happen with electric clothing.

Thanks

mike

Last edited by mrbiker; Aug 1st, 2007 at 3:01 am.

post #4 of 8 Old Aug 1st, 2007, 7:41 am

Take the small body piece off and look behind it (two screws). IIRC, I had to waller out some of the frame works to get the plug to fit. It worked just fine. I went back to the original hangy version when I swapped tank bags from the BMW one to a Chicane.

It also made it a leetle inconvenient to tear the bike down, which I did.... a lot.

I bought some paint saver sleeves from the Chicane boys and have the Autocom cord running thru it and right in the front on the GT. Just another option and it will work on the LT, too.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #5 of 8 Old Aug 1st, 2007, 10:16 am
Lifetime Supporter

I have done this, works great!

You can buy the spring-lidded caps from Powerlet Products (PSO-001 $2.95), and the connectors from Parts Express.

I used the round DIN female connector (surface mount, front mount, with locking nut) mounted through the cap base and stingray with the nut behind it all, and a cord-end matching male connector. I just soldered about eighteen inches of wire in a straight-through configuration between the connectors.

So the female jack and the cap are on the stingray, the 18" wire runs back towards the area under the rider seat, and the Autocom rider lead plugs into this connector under the rider seat instead of hanging out over the side.

Basically, all I really did was make an extension cord that had one end mounted on the stingray. I did it this way so that if there was a failure in my wiring, all I had to do was lift the rider seat, unplug the extension, and use the factory Autocom lead as if my mod was not there.

Same concept for the topcase/pax connection. The plate with the power plug is, as Grif pointed out, held on with two allen screws. I mounted the same type of extension there and fed the other end of the cable out through a grommet. The Autocom pax lead plugs into this pigtail and I stuff it down in the recess between the pax seat and the topcase. This allows me to unplug iit easily (without removing rear seat) if I take the topcase off of if a problem with my wiring develops.

So far, it works like a dream!

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #6 of 8 Old Aug 1st, 2007, 2:16 pm Thread Starter

Grifscoots, thanks for the info - very helpful.

Deputy, that's exactly what I want to do. I'm big on the "it should plug in and out very easily" for ANY electronics I put in.

I just got the tupperware off my 2 week old '05 and found the DEALER who wired the stereo to the Autocom did a MAJOR hack job (as evidenced by the fact that balance and fader did whatever they felt like-if at all).

So now I'm going to undo what he did (under the left front speaker) and put everything back together with a Molex connector. Right now, I can't take the stingray off becuase everything is hardwired!

I'll look at the 2 web sites you gave me and order the parts. I'll let you know how it turns out.

And personally, I don't mind if the caps don't match - I like the idea of color coding electric vs. audio.

If anyone has any more ideas, chime right in.

Thanks again.

Mike.
post #7 of 8 Old Aug 1st, 2007, 2:46 pm
Lifetime Supporter

If you can't find the part #'s, Mike, lemme know and I'll dig up the invoice and pull the numbers for ya.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #8 of 8 Old Aug 1st, 2007, 7:38 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputy5211
If you can't find the part #'s, Mike, lemme know and I'll dig up the invoice and pull the numbers for ya.
Found 'em exactly where you said they were.

Going to hit the local electronics store right now (they supply a lot of Hollywood studios) and see if I can find at least some of the parts locally. I think there's no other choice for the BMW powerlet plug besides the stealer and powerlet.com - so I'll be ordering them tomorrow.

Gonna' do exaclty what you did - make a pluggable pigtail so I can take it out anytime I need to.

Thanks again.

mike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in