Push to talk Button - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Jul 31st, 2007, 5:20 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Push to talk Button

I have a Icom IC-F21gm radio hooked to my Bc2 Intercom. Intercom works great I guess I am lucky! I need to know how to get the button fuction? It is hooked up correctly as far as I know. When the Button is pushed it mutes the radio. release it radio returns. I have read that some people install a restistor but nothing more. What size? To what wires? Need some info if possible. How too would be nice Thanks Kelly Nelson 2000 K1200Lt Little Help Please
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Jul 31st, 2007, 5:26 pm

Are you sure that you have the cable that fits the Icom. You might have the cable for a Kenwood. It looks the same but the wiring is different.
post #3 of 18 Old Jul 31st, 2007, 6:22 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Icom

It's the correct cable for the radio. I can hear but cant speak.

post #4 of 18 Old Jul 31st, 2007, 7:16 pm

I'm not sure about the wiring schematic for the Icom vs. the Kenwood. However, the Icom cable has a 2.5 mm and 3.5 mm mono male plugs. The Kenwood uses a 2.5 and 3.5 stereo male plug. If you purchased the cable recently it's for a Kenwood because J&M quit making the cable to fit the Icom several years ago. Have you tried the radio and cable on another LT with the J&M intercom? This might tell you where the problem could be. Have fun.
post #5 of 18 Old Jul 31st, 2007, 9:08 pm Thread Starter

Garage
icom

I purchased a cable and fabed it according to schematics for the intercom. bmw cable number 99 99 0 000 200 from James Goodchild. It is a mono pluged twin ended for the icom.
post #6 of 18 Old Jul 31st, 2007, 11:02 pm

That's the one. I made mine from the same schematic. Can you talk to someone when you use the radio without going through the intercom? The reason I ask is that the Icom can be in the duplex mode. If it is, it will broadcast on a different frequency than it receives on. You might check that out. I'm not 100% on this but I think it does. Hopefully an expert can chime in. Goodluck.
post #7 of 18 Old Aug 1st, 2007, 9:40 am

Some things to try that might help you pinpoint the problem:

BTW, do you have the owner's manual for the BC2. You should grab that as well if you don't to make sure you have set everything on the unit correctly.

Get two ICOM units and push the bike ICOM PTT button - can anyone else hear you? Note the color change on the ICOM when you use the PTT button. If noone can hear you, then something is wrong with either the transmit on your ICOM or the recieve on the other ICOM. Try switching ICOM units to confirm.

Assuming both ICOM units check out, then plug one into the bike and hookup your headset. Hit the PTT button - does the light on the ICOM change color? If no, then it is not receiving a close signal on the PTT switch. So either the wiring/switch for the PTT is bad, the wiring to the ICOM is bad, your microphone/headset wires are bad or the intercom has an issue. Try the simple things first. If pressing the PTT lights the ICOM, then you know the wiring is okay and you have an issue with either your microphone/headset wires or the intercom itself.

Remove the rubber boot from the back of the PTT switch and physically touch the 2 bare wires together. Can you talk now? If you can, then the PTT was defective and can be replaced with any normally open switch that fits in the hole and is waterproof. You could also place an OHM meter across the switch, push the PTT button and verify that the circuit closes.

If your switch checks out, the next thing to look at is the wiring cable you made. Using an OHM meter, carefully check each pin on the intercom side against each pin on the ICOM side to make sure no wires were crossed. Then check each pin against every other pin to make sure there isn't a short somewhere in the cable. Assuming no shorts or breaks exist in the cable the next step would be to check the headset.

Is there anyone in your area with a known working headset? If so, try to borrow it for a quick test. If their headset works, then it is either your headset microphone or cables. Try swapping cables to see if your headset will now work. If it does, then you have a defective headset cable which needs to be replaced. If your friend's headset works and swapping cables doesn't make yours work and you have verified that the cables in the headset are plugged in and haven't worked themselves loose, then you likely have a defective microphone. J&M sells replacements at www.jmcorp.com.

If all of the above check out, then it is likely the BC2 unit that has the issue. You could try some contact cleaner or WD-40 on the place where you plug in the ICOM cable to make sure you have a good contact point. If that doesn't address it, then the next step would be to disassemble the bike, remove all cables going to the BC2, clean them, reassemble enough to test and try again. If you still have problems, then it is likely the unit itself that will require service.

So many toys out there, so little time!
2015 BMW K1600GTLE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Piaggio 250 Betty's toy
2001 HD FLSTSI
1957 BMW R60
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

IBA #26695
RA #39456
MOA #150880

Always looking for more...
post #8 of 18 Old Aug 1st, 2007, 11:05 am Thread Starter

Garage
Icom

Thanks I think it's the bc2. I will try to clean the contacts see if that works? Thanks for the help.
post #9 of 18 Old Aug 5th, 2007, 1:31 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Unhappy Icom Push to talk

Ok heres what I have. Everything checks out. When I push the PTT I get a reaction of a signal on another radio but no Audio from the mic from helmet. Push PTT on the Icom radio Mic sends audio can speak and hear. It seems I am not getting enough power to trigger the Mic over Intercom. Strange it's most likely some simple thing bites me in the I have seen where someone said they put a resitor in the Mic wiring but not sure how to do or what this does?
post #10 of 18 Old Aug 5th, 2007, 2:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelburg
Ok heres what I have. Everything checks out. When I push the PTT I get a reaction of a signal on another radio but no Audio from the mic from helmet. Push PTT on the Icom radio Mic sends audio can speak and hear. It seems I am not getting enough power to trigger the Mic over Intercom. Strange it's most likely some simple thing bites me in the I have seen where someone said they put a resitor in the Mic wiring but not sure how to do or what this does?
Did you try the radio by itself to see if your partners radio receives your transmission?
post #11 of 18 Old Aug 6th, 2007, 9:02 am

I just noticed that your radio by itself works fine in the quote above. I have had a situation where my riding partners radio volume was turned down too low. He could here the push to talk button being depressed but could not hear me speak. If you use the radio by itself the volume received by the receiving radio is much higher than it is when going through the intercom. Is it possible that the receiving radio has the volume set for the radio by itself? If so, all that radio will hear is the pop from pushing the push-to-talk button and not you speaking. So, try turning up the volume on the receiving radio to see if that's what it is.
post #12 of 18 Old Aug 6th, 2007, 5:48 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Icom Push to talk

Yes and all is well I have two Icoms a Speak Easy cheapo Midand all receive and transmit Load and clear! I did notice on my BC2 that the 2.5 input is kind of loose fitting. You can move the jack around a little I'll have to take it part and look at it a little closer. If there is a problem is there anywhere to get it fixed? Any one Know?
post #13 of 18 Old Aug 6th, 2007, 6:04 pm

Quote:
Yes and all is well I have two Icoms a Speak Easy cheapo Midand all receive and transmit Load and clear! I did notice on my BC2 that the 2.5 input is kind of loose fitting. You can move the jack around a little I'll have to take it part and look at it a little closer. If there is a problem is there anywhere to get it fixed? Any one Know?
Are you plugging into the aux port on your intercom? If so, that might be the problem. I'm using the 6 pin mini din connector for my hook up and it works great.
post #14 of 18 Old Aug 6th, 2007, 6:37 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Icom Push to talk

No I have a BC2 Intercom. No AUX on BC2 its just phone and radio hookup. I can have a SE 710I cellphone hooked up with a bluetooh adapter from I Tech S38 plays music can hear phone calls but can't speak except thouh the S38 Mic. Real tough to reach in oddments box.
post #15 of 18 Old Aug 6th, 2007, 9:25 pm

Quote:
I'm confused. You stated above that the "2.5 input is loose." Do you mean a 2.5 mm female stereo miniplug? The plug in for your radio should be a 6 pin mini din connector.
post #16 of 18 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 9:23 am Thread Starter

Garage
Icom Push to talk

On the front of the BC2 are four inputs for the icom radio and a cell phone. I don't have a six pin mini din to plug into. The BC2 has one Stereo jack for the radio 2.5mm (speaker)and one 3.5mm (Mic). It has for the Phone 3.5mm for(speaker) 2.5mm for (Mic). I do have a CB Connector to hook to a Regular size 6 Pin din.

Last edited by nelburg; Aug 8th, 2007 at 9:57 am.
post #17 of 18 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 10:14 am

Quote:
On the front of the BC2 are four inputs for the icom radio and a cell phone. I don't have a six pin mini din to plug into. The BC2 has one Stereo jack for the radio 2.5mm (speaker)and one 3.5mm (Mic). It has for the Phone 3.5mm for(speaker) 2.5mm for (Mic). I do have a CB Connector to hook to a Regular size 6 Pin din.
I'm not sure of what the difference is between the BC-2 and the BC-3. I have the BC-3 on a 2005 model. It hooks up using a minidin connector. I have a friend that has a 2002 LT with what I think is the BC-2. He also has the minidin connection and the wiring set up is same as mine. If you have a 2.5 male and a 3.5 male you might have the Voice II. Sorry, I'm going to be now help.
post #18 of 18 Old Aug 8th, 2007, 2:39 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Icom Push to talk

BC1 and BC2 were made by Sikom in Germany. Bc3 was made by J+M Pretty sure. VoiceII I think J+M? Tech got better and they went with 6 Pin Mini Din wish mine was. By the way it is the 2.5mm. Connector.The ground ring is broken tryed to solder to reconnect while apart. No good cheap plastic garbage. I can see Why they had so much Problems with the BC1 and BC2. Removed the jack from the intercom now to find a replacement part. Thanks for all the support I will call J+M and see if they have any Ideas. Hopefully something?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in