BMW Luxury Touring Community

BMW Luxury Touring Community (https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/)
-   Intercom, CB, & 2-Way Radios (https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/intercom-cb-2-way-radios/)
-   -   Mounting an Autocom on an R1100R ? (https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/intercom-cb-2-way-radios/25701-mounting-autocom-r1100r.html)

brianbeemer Jul 24th, 2007 4:42 am

Mounting an Autocom on an R1100R ?

Has anyone done this? I can't put it under the rear seat as the clearance is far too small to get it in there. Autocom don't recommend putting it near all the control systems, so in the space under the tank by the motronic unit is probably out. The only place left seems to be on top of the fuse box under the rider's seat - and only because I have the seat set high.

Any other suggestions anyone? Is there any interference if it's mounted next to the motronic?

Thanks.

dmatson Jul 24th, 2007 10:28 pm

On my LT I mounted my Autocom right on top of the radio and that is right near all the motronics and i have had no problems with interference or noise. My buddy with his RT mounted his in his tank bag and he loves it there.

brianbeemer Jul 25th, 2007 10:26 am

Thanks for the response. I don't want it in the tank bag as I carry that, and often don't have it on the bike anyway.

I ended up using velcro to fasten it to the top of the fusebox under the rider's seat. Ran the power from the tail light. Works fine, except the cables from the unit are long and have to be coiled and strapped out of the way! Having it under the seat will mean I can do quick adjustments on the VOX setting until we're used to it, whereas if I'd mounted it by the motronic I'd have had to take the fuel tank off to get at it...

zippy_gg Jul 25th, 2007 10:39 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianbeemer
Having it under the seat will mean I can do quick adjustments on the VOX setting until we're used to it, whereas if I'd mounted it by the motronic I'd have had to take the fuel tank off to get at it...

An easier trick for that is to attach a piece of rubber tubing to the adjusting knob and have the other end stickling out barely enough for you to turn when needed, but yet keep it out of sight. That is the way it is set up on my LT. The tube runs along the left side panel, just under the seat.

brianbeemer Jul 30th, 2007 5:04 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by zippy_gg
An easier trick for that is to attach a piece of rubber tubing to the adjusting knob and have the other end stickling out barely enough for you to turn when needed, but yet keep it out of sight. That is the way it is set up on my LT. The tube runs along the left side panel, just under the seat.

Brilliant idea! Won't work on the newer Active-Ride, though, as the vox is a tiny potentiometer in the battery compartment.