Zumo 550 or Streetpilot 2820 - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Jul 16th, 2007, 3:03 pm Thread Starter

Zumo 550 or Streetpilot 2820

I'm looking for suggestions or any other advice before I buy. I'm planning on getting one of these, and probably the XM puck.

I don't have any shelf mounts on the GT. I plan to mount it between the handle bars. I'd like the mount to be a locking mount so I can leave it on the bike, but I'd also like to be able to put it in the car if desired. Any recommendations on the mount? I take it the ones that come in the box aren't locking mounts.

I've got an autocom to connect it to. I'll probably tap power off the accessory socket in front of the battery.

The 550 has a high sensitivity receiver, which I'm thinking isn't really a big deal in a car or bike, or am I wrong? The 2820 has a bigger screen. Also, both are MP3 players, but how do you get the files to it? Is there an aux input on the GPS units I can plug my ipod into?

I'd appreciate any insights.

When a government takes over a people’s economic life it becomes absolute, and when it has become absolute it destroys the arts, the minds, the liberties and the meaning of the people it governs.
- Maxwell Anderson

Bob
2007 K1200GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Jul 16th, 2007, 4:18 pm

I have a Zumo 550 that I use on my R1200GS. I use a locking mount from Touratech. On the Zumo 550 you store music on an SD or SDHC card. The mp3 files can be copied using a card reader/writer directly to the memory card or through the Zumo USB interface. No special software is required.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#32756 -
'12
FLTRU Ember Red Sunglo (
)
'05
R1200GS Desert Yellow (
)
'00
K1200LTC Canyon Red (
) - Retired 10/2012
----------------------------------------------
'02
FLSTC Custom (
)
For bike shows, parades, Taco Thursdays and local rides on sunny days only.

post #3 of 8 Old Jul 16th, 2007, 7:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobnoxous
The 550 has a high sensitivity receiver, which I'm thinking isn't really a big deal in a car or bike, or am I wrong? The 2820 has a bigger screen. Also, both are MP3 players, but how do you get the files to it? Is there an aux input on the GPS units I can plug my ipod into?
I have a 2820 and prefer its lower profile on my LT. In addition to playing mp3's the 2820 works as a front end for the optional pricey but nice XM radio/antenna (GXM-30). As a con, the 2820 screen can be difficult to read in bright sunlight and it does not have a SD expansion slot. The 2820 has an AUX stereo output that you could connect to your com system AUX input

Jim S.
'07 SturmGrau K1200LT

“Not all those who wander are lost.”

post #4 of 8 Old Jul 16th, 2007, 8:30 pm

When I was ready to buy my first GPS, I also was comparing the new Zumo to the 2730/2820. I ended up going with the Zumo and am happy with it. One feature is the ability to operate the unit off the bike on its built-in battery. I didn't consider that a big factor when deciding, but now that I have the Zumo I really like that feature.

There is a cool Zumo message board with loads of information; check out http://www.zumoforums.com/zumo/

Garmin has updated the Zumo software twice since I bought my unit, adding features that customers were asking for. That's a good sign.

You cannot plug the iPod into the GPS, but like another response said, you can load your songs onto the GPS or (in the case of the Zumo) onto SD cards. If you purchased music from Apple's online store, you will have to figure out a way to convert them to MP3 format, which is all the Garmin can "read".
post #5 of 8 Old Jul 17th, 2007, 1:21 pm
Lifetime Supporter

had a 2730, wife and kids bought me a zumo for father's day which I like a lot more. Battery is nice, it picks up satellite signal faster (and I've used it sitting on the passenger seat, try that with the 2700 or 2800 series), file transfer via SD card is a nice touch, the included mounts for car and bike will save you at least $50. Most important, you can change the pointer icon to a motorcycle, so that alone would sell me...lol

Seriously, both are very nice, the Zumo is lighter, comes with a zipper pouch so you can tuck the thing into a jacket pocket when off the bike and sit in a restaurant and plot the next leg of your journey which you cannot do with any other garmin models, and the two are about evenly priced. Reviews by motorcycle consumer news, cycle world, and motorcyclist gave the Zumo high marks, as well. I find it more "intuitive" which helps 'cause I'm not that smart.

Play with them both, and a good source for "what is the cheapest place to buy the thing" is www.cnet.com, click on the "shop" tab and enter either garmin 2820 or garmin zumo and it'll give you the cheapest price including shipping and tax from over 30 online sources in three seconds.

P

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
post #6 of 8 Old Jul 17th, 2007, 4:04 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the info guys. You're convincing me the zumo is the way to go.

One question. The zumo has bluetooth. Will it pair with my phone, and I can make and receive calls through the zumo, with the zumo plugged into my autocom system? I ask because the cnet review talks about a bluetooth headset, but I'm hoping my phone can connect directly with the zumo, not via a headset.

When a government takes over a people’s economic life it becomes absolute, and when it has become absolute it destroys the arts, the minds, the liberties and the meaning of the people it governs.
- Maxwell Anderson

Bob
2007 K1200GT
post #7 of 8 Old Jul 17th, 2007, 7:09 pm

Yes it will pair with your cell phone. The primary issue with the Autocom is weather or not you will need to return your Autocom unit to the factory to reprogram the priorities. I know this is an issue with the Active Plus and the Pro AVI. If your cell phone is paired and you want stereo sound out of the Zumo (music) the 1299 accessory cable is required and the priorities need to be changed to get everything to work correctly. If you hardwire the phone or you can live with bi-monaural music then they have other cables to accomplish this without needing the priorities reprogrammed.

You may need to contact their customer service to find out what your options are.

#32756 -
'12
FLTRU Ember Red Sunglo (
)
'05
R1200GS Desert Yellow (
)
'00
K1200LTC Canyon Red (
) - Retired 10/2012
----------------------------------------------
'02
FLSTC Custom (
)
For bike shows, parades, Taco Thursdays and local rides on sunny days only.

post #8 of 8 Old Jul 18th, 2007, 4:16 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Jim. That spells it out nicely.

- Maxwell Anderson

Bob
2007 K1200GT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in