Will this work? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Jul 15th, 2007, 12:16 pm Thread Starter

Will this work?

I have a friend that just bought a Yamaha Royal Star Venture. I installed his Autocom 7 pin system from his previous bike so that he can communicate using his FRS radio with the group he usually rides with. His bike comes with a rider-pass intercom and a CB. The plugs are 5 pin. There is one person he rides with that has a CB equipped bike. I would like to buy the 5 pin to 7 pin adapter cable from Autocom. The pin assignments on his OEM system are different than on the autocom. I was going to buy DIN plugs/wire so that I can make a short cable that would connect the r speaker lead on his system to the R speaker lead on the autocom system and so forth. This would allow him to use the full autocom set up when riding with his usual group and his built in set up when riding with his CB friend. Should this work or are there other variables I need to consider? So far I haven't found a way to connect the FRS radio to his system and be able to toggle between CB and FRS which is why I am considering this cable adapter route. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Jul 15th, 2007, 7:03 pm

Have such a setup on my RT. Autocom Pro 7 system connected to a Cobra 38WXST CB and Kenwood TK3101 FRS/GMRS radio. I use the Autocom PTT and a switch box to select the transceiver I want to use. Also have a Kenwood TM-D700A ham radio for APRS and repeater calls. Same switch is used to select between them.

Biggest challenge is to isolate ground loops and to understand how the radios support PTT.

You didn't specify what CB and FRS radios you plan to use and whether Autocom supports either via special cables. Most likely it will involve more than just building a 5-pin to 7-pin cable.

Herman van Beek
2M/70cm/APRS - K5HVB(-10 when mobile)
FRS/GMRS - WQGD850
2005 F650CSA (Silver)
2005 R1200RT (Silver)
post #3 of 4 Old Jul 15th, 2007, 8:20 pm Thread Starter

He uses the Kenwood Free Talk XLS (3131) which works fine with the autocom. The CB is an OEM unit that is part of the built in communication system that is standard equipment on the bike. I don't know who makes it. I installed the Autocom headsets in his helmets so what I am trying to do is have an adaptor cable that will connect the comm plugs of his OEM system to his Autocom headset. When he travels with his GMRS buddies he will use the straight Autocom set up. Each system is completely independent of the other. I just want to give him the opportunity to use either one with the autocom headset. Inquiries to the Yamaha boards did not come up with a way to integrate the GMRS radio into the OEM system which is why I am trying this route.
BTW Thanks for the PIN OUT diagram.

post #4 of 4 Old Jul 15th, 2007, 10:27 pm

Agree that keeping the two systems independent of each other greatly simplifies the problem. Your two-cable solution should work very well.

Herman van Beek
2M/70cm/APRS - K5HVB(-10 when mobile)
FRS/GMRS - WQGD850
2005 F650CSA (Silver)
2005 R1200RT (Silver)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in