Doggone Autocomm! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Jul 12th, 2007, 9:48 am Thread Starter

Doggone Autocomm!

I have a 2003 LT with the dealer-installed autocomm system. I bought the BMW/J&M headsets so I can listen to the radio and GPS while riding. I don't use the mic because my usual passenger doesn't want to have a headset in her helmet.

I need your advice to help me solve these autocomm-related problems.

1. I hear "spark plug" noise through the headsets. It's the same electric interference that happend when radios were first installed in cars back in the pliestocene era. How can this noise be filtered out?

2. Sometimes and for no apparent reason, the radio will not play through the headset. It will play through the speakers, but not the headset. All the cords, plugs, connections are okay. Turning the radio off then back on does not make a difference. The next time I use it it may work just fine, or may not. Has anyone else had this problem, and how was it solved?

3. Turning on the Navigator III will kill the radio coming through the headsets, sometimes for 20 minutes or longer. Does anyone have a solution?

Thanks.

Mike

Inside my 60 year old body is a 35 year old brain wondering what the hell happened.
2005 K1200LT
2005 Suzuki Burgman
BMWMOA #130574
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Jul 12th, 2007, 11:26 am

I'm not sure that the J&M headsets will work with the AutoCom. I use AutoCom and I don't have the symptoms that you have. Actually it works pretty good. They are other systems.. and you sure can spend more.

As long as the J&M pin configuration for the speakers coming off the connection to the AutoCom is correct or compatable with the AutoCom headset it probably will work. I'm pretty sure the mic won't work. I believe that the AutoCom is different..

If they (the pin connections) are not compatable I don't know what kind odd symptoms you will have.

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #3 of 6 Old Jul 12th, 2007, 11:33 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_H
1. I hear "spark plug" noise through the headsets. It's the same electric interference that happend when radios were first installed in cars back in the pliestocene era. How can this noise be filtered out?
Check how you ran your wires. You don't want them adjacent to any of the bike wires. You also want the ground the Autcom directly to the battery ground (if you haven't)

Quote:
2. Sometimes and for no apparent reason, the radio will not play through the headset. It will play through the speakers, but not the headset. All the cords, plugs, connections are okay. Turning the radio off then back on does not make a difference. The next time I use it it may work just fine, or may not. Has anyone else had this problem, and how was it solved?
You have a short in either a cable to the helmet or in the speaker/mic itself. You can buy a computer cable for a couple of bucks that exactly matches the pin out from bike to helmet.
Quote:
3. Turning on the Navigator III will kill the radio coming through the headsets, sometimes for 20 minutes or longer. Does anyone have a solution?
Not sure here, but I believe #2 should alleviate that one.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 Old Jul 12th, 2007, 11:34 am

Having just gone through

the process of adding GPS, cellphone, and connecting an ipod, I found the service dept at AUTOComm very helpful. We discovered that even though the cables looked good the cable to the pillon was pinched and shield was broke. Also learned cables are specific for the device you intend to use and if you have a splitter or 2 into 1 it makes a difference what is pluged in the "A" or "B" slot as to which as to which has priority and which is supressed.

Go to their website http://www.autocomamerica.com they will (maybe) be able to help you.

HTH

Toby in New York
1983 R80RT Red (sold)
'03 R1200CLC (T-boned and replaced with)
'04 R1200CL Sidestand problem, BMW traded me for
'05 K1200LT. Goldie, Priceless
Lusting after K1600 GTL
post #5 of 6 Old Jul 12th, 2007, 11:47 am Thread Starter

Maybe Not Autocomm

I think I may have used the wrong description for the system installed in my LT. I called it "autocom" since that seems to be its generic name. It is actually the BMW system that is installed by the dealer as an option and resided under the stingray cover. It doesn't look anything like the pictures of the Autocom system on the Autocom website.

Sorry for the confusion.

Inside my 60 year old body is a 35 year old brain wondering what the hell happened.
2005 K1200LT
2005 Suzuki Burgman
BMWMOA #130574
post #6 of 6 Old Jul 12th, 2007, 11:55 am

Quote:
I think I may have used the wrong description for the system installed in my LT. I called it "autocom" since that seems to be its generic name. It is actually the BMW system that is installed by the dealer as an option and resided under the stingray cover. It doesn't look anything like the pictures of the Autocom system on the Autocom website.

Sorry for the confusion.
Oh. In my best Emily Latilla, "never mind".

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in