New owner - best FRS option? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Jul 10th, 2007, 11:39 pm Thread Starter

New owner - best FRS option?

I just bought a 2000 K1200LT and I am in the process of setting it up. It has the stock com system with inputs for an MP3 player and a second for a CB/FRS. I am having a hard time getting clarification from my dealer or my manual.... Can I plug in any FRS with VOX capability or is there a specific one that must be installed? What is the best choice and what is the best way to mount it? Thanks in advance for any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Jul 11th, 2007, 8:24 am

Cool

You will require a cord to go from the FRS to the Comm System which your Dealer will need to sell you. As far as I know they were specific to either the Kenwood "Free Talk" series or the Motorola "Talk about". I do know the Kenwood cable will fit several Kenwood FRS/GMRS sets. It has two male jacks, one larger than the other, that plug into the FRS and a multi-pin right angle plug that goes to the Comm Sys. I believe the Motorola cable only has one male jack that plugs into that FRS. Shop around if you wish, but I bought my Kenwood at the Dealer just to make sure it would be compatible.

HTH,

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 Old Jul 11th, 2007, 8:59 am

My wife and I have the Chatterbox GMRS-X1.
We have multiple bikes so we can talk whether on the BMW or other bikes.
Also, it allows you to talk to other riders.
You can plug MP3 and cell phones into them.
You can also connect a passenger easily with a PS/2 cable, if you only want to buy one.

Visit
_ Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it over?

post #4 of 18 Old Jul 12th, 2007, 10:19 pm

We use the Cobra FRS radios that we got from Wal-Mart. They work great and were less than $100 for the pair.
post #5 of 18 Old Jul 13th, 2007, 7:48 am

I use a Garmin Rino. It is waterproof and it is also my backup GPS.

#32756 -
'12
FLTRU Ember Red Sunglo (
)
'05
R1200GS Desert Yellow (
)
'00
K1200LTC Canyon Red (
) - Retired 10/2012
----------------------------------------------
'02
FLSTC Custom (
)
For bike shows, parades, Taco Thursdays and local rides on sunny days only.

post #6 of 18 Old Sep 6th, 2007, 1:33 pm

I was wondering about that Rino option, thanks for mentioning that. How does the GMRS work? I have been looking at several models on the market such as, Midland, Cobra etc. but I've never used any of them. I'm sure the range is nowhere close to what is advertised. I figure if I could get a mile or so out of one that would be ok. I want to install a bike to bike system and yak it up a bit with my fellow riders but, being at least water resistant is important. I think being able to communicate with another rider is a good idea.

Anybody else out there who uses a GMRS/FRS that has good reception? Another thing that comes to mind is, how do you carry the radio. What kind of mounting do you use?

I would think that Ram Mount would have a solution but I don't know.

Brian
Charlotte, NC
post #7 of 18 Old Sep 6th, 2007, 1:59 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-NC
I was wondering about that Rino option, thanks for mentioning that. How does the GMRS work? I have been looking at several models on the market such as, Midland, Cobra etc. but I've never used any of them. I'm sure the range is nowhere close to what is advertised. I figure if I could get a mile or so out of one that would be ok. I want to install a bike to bike system and yak it up a bit with my fellow riders but, being at least water resistant is important. I think being able to communicate with another rider is a good idea.

Anybody else out there who uses a GMRS/FRS that has good reception? Another thing that comes to mind is, how do you carry the radio. What kind of mounting do you use?

I would think that Ram Mount would have a solution but I don't know.

Brian
Charlotte, NC
Hi Brian,
My wife and I have used cheap Midland GMRS radios for about a year, and the range is very short. The transmission starts to break up at 1/10th of a mile. That was OK as long as we were riding together, but if we got separated, no joy. I bought an Icom
IC-F21GMfrom motogear4you.com (run by Raffy, a long time member of this forum,) and the range is way better. Raffy said he and a friend tested them on a flat, straight stretch of road and got 9 miles. I just ordered one for my wife, too.

Blessings!
munson+

The Rev. John Munson
Vicar,
, Burkburnett, Texas
Vicar,
, Wichita Falls, Texas
2007 R1200RT "REV ZM"
IRON BUTT ASSOC. #37813
See my video:
post #8 of 18 Old Sep 6th, 2007, 2:05 pm
Bouncer

+1 on the ICOM option. Make sure you get the optional AA battery pack (it takes 6 AA batteries). If you can't charge your rechargeable batteries, you want that as a backup.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
post #9 of 18 Old Sep 6th, 2007, 2:53 pm

The Garmin Rhino will work well with the LT in both the FRS and GMRS modes - until you try to power it from the bike - forget doing that - BTDT. Noisy transmission even with a filter. Mine was set up with the Pro M1 and I tried to use a Autocom Rhino power cable - total waste as the LT is a very noisy machine - electrically speaking.

If you have an Autocom system, the Free Talk works very well and can be powered by the bike - which make life a lot easier. I, and most of my riding friends, use the Free Talk in several modes and, other than a couple of wiring problems, have worked very well. We even have custom rain covers for them compliments of Lectric Larry AKA Farkle Furgason.

Lee Nowell
Black 01, LTC
BMWRA & MOA, AMA, IBA
post #10 of 18 Old Sep 6th, 2007, 3:15 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Smile

+1 for the ICOM and the Kenwood TK3101, good range but they are not cheap. I have tried Motorola and others and they cut out in less than a 1/2 a mile or so. Get a Push-to-talk switch. The cables that I use have a ground-loop isolator built in, no noise at all, it is very clear.

--Bo
2013 Magma Red R1200GSA
2012 Candy Apple Red R1200R
2007 (2006 Blue Panels) R1200GS (RIP Poteau, OK)
2006 Graphite K1200GT (sold)
2002 Titan Silver LT (sold)

Don't Panic!
Achtung! böse Eichhörnchen!

Last edited by Texas42; Sep 6th, 2007 at 3:20 pm.
post #11 of 18 Old Sep 6th, 2007, 4:43 pm

Thanks John,
I sorta figured the small, cheap gmrs radios would be good for about that distance no matter who makes it or what claims they make. I got some other good replys as well, most really good comments on the Kenwood and Icom radios. I guess I'll spend a little extra and get a better radio.

I'm still interested to know how you and others mount the radio on the bike. I assume thats a better option than clipping it to your belt and wrestling with more wires.

Brian
post #12 of 18 Old Sep 6th, 2007, 4:49 pm

Good to know about the noise issue. I also have an older Autocom Pro M1. I'm seriously thinking of upgrading to a newer system but the budget won't stand it right now. I've also thought about the Starcom 1 system. It seems to be well made and about half as expensive as the Autocom, same features and also made in England. Sorta makes you wonder...

Brian
post #13 of 18 Old Sep 6th, 2007, 5:03 pm

Quote:
Thanks John,
I sorta figured the small, cheap gmrs radios would be good for about that distance no matter who makes it or what claims they make. I got some other good replys as well, most really good comments on the Kenwood and Icom radios. I guess I'll spend a little extra and get a better radio.

I'm still interested to know how you and others mount the radio on the bike. I assume thats a better option than clipping it to your belt and wrestling with more wires.

Brian
We use the Pro M1's as well. The Autocom PTT switch works great with this radio.

I use a ram mount, with the Trick Stick clutch reservoir cover, also sold by Raffy. It allows the antenna to be up and in the clear, and it's easy to adjust the radio. The down side is that I have to stow it at stops. If it's just for lunch time I throw my jacket over it and the GPS, mounted on the brake reservoir cover with a ram mount as well.

Blessings!
munson+

The Rev. John Munson
Vicar,
, Burkburnett, Texas
Vicar,
, Wichita Falls, Texas
2007 R1200RT "REV ZM"
IRON BUTT ASSOC. #37813
See my video:
post #14 of 18 Old Sep 6th, 2007, 6:26 pm

I agree with Bo. Icom...get it from Raffy...or the Kenwood TK3101 are the way to go. A little quirky to program but miles ahead of the playground style cheapies you get from most sources...these things are MILSPEC. The transmit/speaker connections are reversed on the Icom for use on the LT Comm System, but adapters can be had.

Al Hennigan
'03 Anthracite LTE
'09 GS Adventure
Middle Tennessee
post #15 of 18 Old Sep 7th, 2007, 7:17 am

I did a google search last night on the Kenwood TK3101 and apparently this radio has been discontinued and replaced by the TK3202 model. Most of the sellers of the 3101 are out of stock. The 3202 can be had for less than 250.00. I also looked at the Icom and the features are very similar but the info on motogear4u doesn't indicate that it is water resistant. The Icom is a little cheaper, 160.00.

Now all I need to do is figure out the best radio and convince my riding buddy to get one too. Thanks for all the feedback !

Brian
post #16 of 18 Old Sep 7th, 2007, 7:28 am

Quote:
I did a google search last night on the Kenwood TK3101 and apparently this radio has been discontinued and replaced by the TK3202 model. Most of the sellers of the 3101 are out of stock. The 3202 can be had for less than 250.00. I also looked at the Icom and the features are very similar but the info on motogear4u doesn't indicate that it is water resistant. The Icom is a little cheaper, 160.00.

Now all I need to do is figure out the best radio and convince my riding buddy to get one too. Thanks for all the feedback !

Brian
Here is a link to the mil specs if that helps. Also, if you use the oem battery at full power it lasts about 4.5 hours. I bought two of the 13 hour batteries.

Blessings!
munson+

The Rev. John Munson
Vicar,
, Burkburnett, Texas
Vicar,
, Wichita Falls, Texas
2007 R1200RT "REV ZM"
IRON BUTT ASSOC. #37813
See my video:
post #17 of 18 Old Sep 7th, 2007, 9:19 am

I use UBZLF14 - first "freetalk" in US. Compatibility with 2006LT factory VOICE is good.

None of the FRS units work great in the oddments box. Range is short. Went to a bar mount and even a low power unit like this has respectable performance then.

I think current equivalent is UBZLH14; the other Kenwoods discussed here have more channels, PL options, features and power output.
post #18 of 18 Old Sep 7th, 2007, 3:47 pm

Quote:
I also looked at the Icom and the features are very similar but the info on motogear4u doesn't indicate that it is water resistant. The Icom is a little cheaper, 160.00.
Raffy put the Icom F21GM on sale on Motogear4you.com. Great timing!

Blessings!
munson+

The Rev. John Munson
Vicar,
, Burkburnett, Texas
Vicar,
, Wichita Falls, Texas
2007 R1200RT "REV ZM"
IRON BUTT ASSOC. #37813
See my video:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in