2006 LT CB Success - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Jun 28th, 2007, 9:26 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Thumbs up 2006 LT CB Success

This is a little long but has several post from another older thread and I thought a new one may be easier to spot for someone looking for info:

Udate

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just an update here. I got a guy to make up a set of 3.5/2.5 mm plugs and connector cords for my Midland hand held Model 75-822 to plug into the Voice Comm II. (~$40.00 but $20.00 of that was because I had to buy two packs of 10 each of the 3.5/2.5 mm plugs!!!) The connection works great and am able to use the PTT on the handle bar just like with the Kenwood FRS/GMRS radio.

This midland has the auto pack i.e. cig lighter plug and exterior antenna plug. So you can hook it to the bike power and CB antenna. I broke down and bought the BMW CB antenna which arrived this week but yet to mount it.

Last night I plugged in the midland to the V COMII using the units portable antenna and powered it to the bikes aux outlets. With each one of the outlets I could hear interference on the transmit with the motor running or just with the bike on. When I used the Midland battery pack instead of plugging it into to bike power. NO NOISE!! So Saturday is project day!!

Mount the antenna, and play with the radio and where to put it. I may do as Lynn suggests and power to the battery or may put a cig lighter in the glove box (powered direct as well). All fused of course. Will aslo have a noise filter (similar to the one that comes with the BMW CB) from radio shack on standby. And my father-in-laws SRS meter to tune the antenna (if a BMW antenna can be tuned, damn Germans may not believe theirs needs tuning...)

At this point I plan to place it in the condiment box, drill holes for the power and antenna cable. Whi doing this as the plastic will be off I will find out the specs on the pre wired Voice II CB plug (a six pin female) and get another set of cords made for it as I may mount it on the handle bar later or run it to the sme box for easy hook up and removal. It ain't water proof.

Also rechecked the Kenwood. If the radio is in the condiment box or in the top lid bag to the right it works fine. If it is in the top lid bag to the left you can hear but you get a dull click click click noise like an old rotary phone when transmitting and no one can hear you but they get the same noise. i thought it may be the lower headset cable but had it against it in all positions and it had no affect. I am still thinking it is the pre wired cb plug under the plastic on the right side of the VCII.

Any thoughts or suggestions are most welcome.

Gene

GBaker
View Public Profile
Send a private message to GBaker
Send email to GBaker
Find all posts by GBaker
Add GBaker to Your Buddy List

#33 Jun 21st, 2007, 10:03 pm
Scotty2
Junior Member Join Date: Feb 2006

So, should I buy a CB for my 05 or not?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What a trip...here I thought I could make a quick purchase and install the unit this weekend so I had it for the ride to WI.

So do I have this straight? The VOICE II is made by J&M for BMW, but the CB that is sold as OEM is made by BMW or someone other then J&M?

Whats the price, ballpark figures, to purchase the CB, antenna kit, harness, lower cables etc... I want to know what it cost to join Mr. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band (CB)

Thank you all for all the information you have provided!

05 Metallic Graphite K1200LT
06 Metallic Graphite Bushtec Quantum Sport

Scotty2
View Public Profile
Send a private message to Scotty2
Send email to Scotty2
Find all posts by Scotty2
Add Scotty2 to Your Buddy List

#34 Jun 22nd, 2007, 10:58 am
GBaker
Senior Member Join Date: Sep 2006

Yes it is a trip... Prior comm systems for the LT were made by J & M. The VOICE COMM II is not. The BMW CB for the LT with VCII is made by J & M BUT it is not the same wiring for the mic and speaker as the J & M logo cb. There in lies the problem. I will attach a wiring diagram for the hand held radio head sets to the VCII and it show the different radios and wiring needed (right side of diagram). These go from the hand held CB or FRS radio the the jacks in the condiment compartment VCII jacks for the radio hook up. One 2.5mm plug and one 3.5 mm plug. i had a local TV Repair/electronics shop make them from the diagram ~$30.00. It also shows the direct hook up needed if you hook from the radio head set jacks to the prewired cb cable ie taking the hand held spkr and mic to the female 6 pin din plug on the VCII. i may do this later but am trying to get ready for a Iron Butt run early next month. Whew...

The simplest is to buy the $450.00 BMW CB and their $160.00 antenna and install it. I am after cheaper and do not want a CB on the handle bar. After much searching for a permanent antenna I did order and get the BMW one as it matches the bike and aviods a lot of issues in modifying the mount. The Midland 75-822 came from Beach Audio http://www.beachaudio.com/Communica...ter-p-3433.html ~95.00 including shipping. With its auto pack I can use it with its batteries and the made up cables (see wiriing diagram) or power it from the bike (yet to figure that out as to actually how with no noise) and hook it to the bikes CB antenna. Either way for now it can rest in the condiment box and later may figure some other place. I will drill holes in the condiment box to run the antenna cable and power cord. Will probably for now rig a fused cig lighter plug direct to the battery and ground it on the frame. Also I already had installed the OME BMW PTT button on the left hand grip as I used it for the BMW recommended Kenwood FRS/GMRS hand held. It also works for the Midland CB when it is plugged into the VCOM II. Do not remenber the cost but it was veryeasy to install as there is a prewired connection in the plastic of the left handle bar.

Re helmet head sets, i assume you have those. This works thru the BMW head sets and lower cables. I can get more info on mine if you need it. That is another story as we have half helmets and our headset/mics came from J & M.

Hope this helps and I will post more after the Saturday project.
Attached Files Wire Diagram.pdf (44.8 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by GBaker : Jun 22nd, 2007 at 11:06 am.

GBaker
View Public Profile
Send a private message to GBaker
Send email to GBaker
Find all posts by GBaker
Add GBaker to Your Buddy List

#35 Jun 25th, 2007, 4:45 pm
GBaker
Senior Member Join Date: Sep 2006

Update II

Spent Saturday afternoon and Sunday afternoon and evening on this project. When I left for work Monday morning the bike was still in a few hundred pieces. Boy I hope I do not have any screws left over if I can ever get it put back together.

Long story short is as many of you know to get to one area you have to peel tupperware off of many. Trunk off mounted antenna almost no problem. Something did not seem right re the gounding of the antenna. Was it grounded or not? The instructions with the BMW CB antenna kit made no mention of a ground. Sure enough glad I looked at some BMW cb install instuctions. Yes there are two ground wires from the antenna to the fuse box housing plus one loop from one side of the housing to the other.

Next was where to put the Radio Shack Noise Filter. Take off more tupperware, take off saddle bags, it will not fit here, no not there, it will fit here but no room the get my hands in there without taking the rear tire off, no not doing that, ........ oh my it will fit on the frame just behind the top of the license tag holder under the rear light assembly. Self tapping screws do not work. This damn frame must be made from titanium. Dang Germans!!

Stingray off to pop hole in condiment box for cig socket to power the Midland and a hole for the antenna cable. No real problem just lots of tupperware to remove on both sides. Amazing as to how they got all that crap under there. WOW. Found the pre wired cb female DIN (made reference for later project)
Stingray back togther but side panels, turn signals, chrome strip, wind deflectors, and both Mick-O-Pegs got to go back on.

Made up and routed all the wires. Now have to zip tie all and hook power lead to the battery. Have all this out side of the bikes internal wiring on its own fused circuit. Put the battery side covers and passenger foot boards back on as well as the saddlebags, and the trunk and the passenger seat. Then use my father-in-laws SWR meter to see how or if it will work. Ain't going to do this again.

Boy I hope all those screws find the correct home.......

More later as we move to the testing phase......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Jun 28th, 2007, 9:35 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Got the bike back together last night. Only missing one small screw (I think a frog ate it thinking it was a bug...)

Bike started no smoke or fires. Checked the cb SWR and after adjusting the antenna was able to get the readings down to 1.1 on ch 40: 1.2 on channel 20: and 1.3 on channel 1. I do not know what the 'best' swr one can expect on a motor cycle and may play with it some more.

All works thu the headsets and handle bar PTT. I did find the pre wired CB plug at the sting ray and may get a cable made up later. For now will just let the Midland lay in the condiment box.

WOW am not looking to have the bike in that many pieces any time soon. I do think it and I have 'bonded' somewhat thru this. You know how it is when you see some one naked and have your way with them and all.

Any way would be happy to offer any assistance
post #3 of 14 Old Jun 28th, 2007, 9:59 am
Lifetime Supporter

Congrats on the successful reassemble. You can replace the missing screw anytime... in fact, get a handful.

1:1 is the "perfect" SWR. It is affected, which you probably know, by the "ground plane", antenna placement and grounding...

If you can get the thing to "talk" at all, you're miles ahead...

So, find a friend with a CB to work with you to find your "range" limitations.

Congratulations...

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 Old Jun 28th, 2007, 10:18 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Thank you cfell. This has been a journey.

Our Iron Butt run for 1500 miles in 36 hours is scheduled to start on July 9th. There are four of us going so hope to have it fine tuned by then. After the 1500 then we will ride for several days finding our way back home. The 1500 miles takes us to Tucumari, NM and then head north mayby to the Grand Canyon, Four Corners, and or the Dakotas on our way back to South Carolina.

Really looking forward to it!!!
post #5 of 14 Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 2:07 pm
Lifetime Supporter

gbaker...thank you for your posts. I, too, had all my tupperware off for the first time this weekend (2007 K1200LT) while installing Sirius and I know what you mean by feeling like you bonded with the bike (loved your naked analogy). Here's my question...when it's all said and done, do you just wish you had bought the BMW CB and been done with it? I'm currently in decision mode as to which direction to go on a CB and my bike is already wired for the BMW unit (found the input while removing the tupperware). Thanks.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2017 KTM 350 EXC-F (single track monster)
2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun on the fire roads)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cowwhat a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #6 of 14 Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 3:30 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Well I am glad I did what I did (so far) mainly because at this point I do not want a CB on the handlebar. I still have the option to get the 6 pin DIN cable made and hook it up that way. Drill another hole in the condiment box and still keep it in there or mount it on the handle bar. I hope to have that figured out by the time we get back from out trip.

Also I now have a regular accessory socket in the box as well.

There were moments along the way when I would have taken the wrath of my bride re the $450 and been done with it.

For me I like still having the flexibility.

Good luck
post #7 of 14 Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 6:06 pm

Gene, where are you taking the power for the CB... and in your opinion what stopped the howl when you use the PTT.. ?

I ashamed to say that I started this project also but never got the howl out of the transmit. Is one of my 'get to it someday' projects... fortunately I don't need it but I would like to use it from time to time to transmit..

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #8 of 14 Old Jul 5th, 2007, 11:01 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Jack, I am glad you asked that question.

I still have the howl when I transmit using the bikes ptt thru the Voice Comm II with the headset mike. DRAT!!! Was not able to check it against another CB until last Tuesday night. Also the Radio Shack Noise filter installed behind the license tag holder got smashed on my first big bump in the road yeasterday... Unplugged all that.

I have (and always had) the cb wired directly to the battery on a fused line. This connection is grounded to the frame. I found a little piece to the right of the seat on the frame that had two or three holes. I sanded it down and got a short bolt and lock washer with a nut on the back side with the ground wire with a washer between it and the bolt head as shown for the ground wires in the attached diagram.

I am able to bypass the howl and hear thru VCII the head sets by not using the mike cable plugged to the VCII only the speaker cable is plugged to the VCII and using the handhelds ptt but I have to talk thru the handheld which is not convenient. Also able to plug in another mike with the lapel clip type mike with a ptt on the mike again not very convenient. I have a diagram which I will attach for the BMW CB install. The only thing I do not have is a ground wire from the antenna to the back of the VOICE Comm II plug as shown. My cb cable does not have a separate ground wire. I am not sure if that would cure it or how to run a ground from the cb antenna cable. Wonder if a ground from the cb mount to the back of VCII would work. Nor do I have a ground from the noise filter to the stereo as the noise filter is gone.

Using the handheld thru the VCII for the helmet speakers works great. The problem is the ptt to transmit thru the bikes PTT. Using it as desribed above is fine with a small amount of engine noise but the SWR is still as good as before. I may try to find a small in line noise suppressor. But now trying to fry the big fish... I have some time to play with it before our big trip but if all fails I will use the other mike plug and little lapel mike.

DRAT DRAT DRAT

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Gene
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CB Install BMW.pdf (370.1 KB, 93 views)
post #9 of 14 Old Jul 5th, 2007, 8:20 pm

Gene, Thanks for the response. I figure there must be something with noise on the ground or the antenna is causing ground loops but I gave up trying to make mine work.. My CB works all day powered by AA batteries and using it's own antenna. I hope to get it going some day. I use an AutoCom and mine is the real Midland 822 and not the BMW resale..

I use a FRS radio with the same setup and it works but it does not use the LTs power and it has it's own antenna. With the Midland I was going to see if I could take the power from a different source but I had more pressing issues. I still use the CB all the time I'm on the interstates but listen only..

I expect our problems are similar...

2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #10 of 14 Old Jul 6th, 2007, 9:07 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Yes they sound identical. Lynn confirmed he did put a ground wire on his VII radio chassis. I am going to try that tonite. The issue is where to run it from as the diagram showed it from the antenna cable ex the cb but I have no such cable. So I will try it from the place I grounded the two wires under the seat as shown on the diagram from the antenna mount or all the way from the antenna mount itself. i will check the continuity at both locations.

The way it is now I can hear thru the head sets but have to talk thru the radio or another portable mike either are not very convenient.

We are leaving early Monday morning on our 10 to 12 day run and have lots to do to get ready and had not intended to take her apart again. I will get it done and try to post the results before we leave.

Thanks for everyones input.

Gene
post #11 of 14 Old Jul 7th, 2007, 8:11 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

I took her apart again and ran a ground from the radio chassis to the antenna base. Still howling. Ran it to as far up the antenna where the cable goes into the base. Still howling. So I left one end on the radio chassis and disconnected the other.

For now I will use the VII for sound to the head sets from the CB and another portable mike to talk.
post #12 of 14 Old Jul 7th, 2007, 8:26 pm

Gene, Thanks for the update..

Nothing is easy..

2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #13 of 14 Old Nov 18th, 2007, 7:06 am

Hi folks. There are 2 types of CB antennae - Ground plane and no ground plane. "Normal" antennea are ground plane. These use the vehicle as a ground which helps with transmission and reception. The no ground plane are used for vehicles with little or no steel essentially (RVs, boats, motorcycles). These have some type of plane built into them so grounding them would probably not be a good idea.

I have used with very good success, a 4' Firestick NGP on my Tiger and on my Concours with the Midland handheld you folks are using.

Your howl has nothing to do with the antenna. It is all RFI from the bike. I got around this by taking power straight from the battery with a noise suppressor between the cig plug and the cb. Also, if you can, try to keep the power wiring for your cb away from everything else because the RFI will be taken from that "other thing". Another thing to take into account is how and where you run the extra antenna cable. The extra really should not be bundled up in a tight ball it should be spread out.
post #14 of 14 Old Nov 18th, 2007, 1:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by used2jeep
Hi folks. There are 2 types of CB antennae - Ground plane and no ground plane. "Normal" antennea are ground plane. These use the vehicle as a ground which helps with transmission and reception. The no ground plane are used for vehicles with little or no steel essentially (RVs, boats, motorcycles). These have some type of plane built into them so grounding them would probably not be a good idea.

I have used with very good success, a 4' Firestick NGP on my Tiger and on my Concours with the Midland handheld you folks are using.

Your howl has nothing to do with the antenna. It is all RFI from the bike. I got around this by taking power straight from the battery with a noise suppressor between the cig plug and the cb. Also, if you can, try to keep the power wiring for your cb away from everything else because the RFI will be taken from that "other thing". Another thing to take into account is how and where you run the extra antenna cable. The extra really should not be bundled up in a tight ball it should be spread out.

I went as far as to try to power the CB from an external 12v battery - wires as far away from the bike as physically possible. It is just a POS - I gave up and put in a Baehr system with a cheapo RS CB and it works like a champ!

2005 Graphite
The only way to live is in the wind....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in