Autocom lead - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old May 27th, 2007, 8:16 pm Thread Starter

Autocom lead

Hi all,

I have an Autocom kit on my LT and it has the two 7 pin leads to connect the helmets up. Autocom supply a couple of stick on clips to hold the female plug to a suitable part of the bike for you to plug into when you mount. I find this to not be the best set up in the world and am looking for a better one.

I would ideally like to be able to get a female connector mounted on the bike somewhere with a flip up protective cover. Think of the power socket on the left front side but having the autocom 7 pin socket behind it. Just after a more finished and factory look. than a wire and plug in a stick on holder.

Has anyone seen such a set up or got any ideas.

Thanks Mike.

P.S. I have mailed autocom but it is a national holiday here so will not see an answer for a few days probably by the time they catch up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old May 27th, 2007, 10:52 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 355pilot
Hi all,

I have an Autocom kit on my LT and it has the two 7 pin leads to connect the helmets up. Autocom supply a couple of stick on clips to hold the female plug to a suitable part of the bike for you to plug into when you mount. I find this to not be the best set up in the world and am looking for a better one.

I would ideally like to be able to get a female connector mounted on the bike somewhere with a flip up protective cover. Think of the power socket on the left front side but having the autocom 7 pin socket behind it. Just after a more finished and factory look. than a wire and plug in a stick on holder.

Has anyone seen such a set up or got any ideas.

Thanks Mike.

P.S. I have mailed autocom but it is a national holiday here so will not see an answer for a few days probably by the time they catch up.
Mike,

That is exactly what I did. . . works great!

I bought some of the spring-loaded caps from Powerlet Products, part PMI-009.

I bought a 7-pin panel mount female receptacle to mount in the lid from Allied Electronics. I also bought a male 7-pin cable connector from them.

Wired seven conductors straight through from the receptacle to the cable connector with soldered connections at both ends. Just used seven different colors of 20 ga stranded wire for this, about 24" long (this needs to be long enough to run along your desired path and reach to the Autocom's rider lead, I have mind meet under the rider seat so I can directly connect without disassembly if something happens to the harness on the road). This wire harness was covered with braided jacketing to dress it up. Shrink tubing would also work, as would friction tape, but would not be as pretty or flexible.

Cap with female mounted on left side of stingray cover, just like the VOICE II outlet. If I did it over again, I would move it a little closer to the rider position since the Autocom headset cords are not as long as the VOICE II version.

Plug the cable connector you soldered onto your assembly into the Autocom rider lead coming from the control box.

Make a similar assembly for the passenger connection, and mount is alongside the passenger's power port on the top case (under the speaker). This wire harness should pass through a grommet and mate up with the Autocom's passenger lead. If you leave it long enough, you could plug them together and place behind the pax lumbar support. You might elect to keep this connection under the pax seat, but my configuration would allow you to easily unplug your assembly and direct connect to the Autocom should a problem develop along the way.

I hope I covered everything. If something is unclear or it seems I left anything off, let me know.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old May 27th, 2007, 11:21 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Tony,

can you tell me if the female conector is front fixing or rear fixing to work with the flip cap. Dont want to order the wrong part.

Have you got a picture of the finished look. Glad I am not the only one who wanted to tidy up the autocom fit. It works fantastic great sound, just didn't like the way they finished up the cable. Much prefer the "factory" look on the bike.

thanks Mike.

post #4 of 7 Old May 27th, 2007, 11:41 pm
Lifetime Supporter

The female panel mount is front mounted, so it drops into the cap, through the newly made hole in the stingray, and nuts up on the back.

I can take a photo of the cap on the stingray, and perhaps even the female in the cap plus the Autocom mate-up, but I would have to remove the stingray to shoot the rest. I do have some extra parts here, so maybe I can make a spare and photograph the process and post them. Give me a few days and remind me if I forget!

If you can't locate the bits needed over on your side, just let me know. Allied is about two miles from the local BMW MC store and I will be happy to pick up the parts and post them to you.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #5 of 7 Old May 28th, 2007, 4:14 am Thread Starter

Thanks Tony,

will let you know if I have any luck getting the bits. If not then I may just take you up on your kind offer.

Mike
post #6 of 7 Old May 28th, 2007, 10:02 am

Tony,
From the attachment you will see where my Autocom lead is located (on the left side of the sting ray). I purchases two extension leads from Autocom. Tony's solution is the cleanest. Just another suggestion.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bmw_gadgets.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	161.3 KB
ID:	12034  

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT - Sold December 2019
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

post #7 of 7 Old May 28th, 2007, 10:08 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrevelino
Tony,
From the attachment you will see where my Autocom lead is located (on the left side of the sting ray). I purchases two extension leads from Autocom. Tony's solution is the cleanest. Just another suggestion.
Is that the Motolight switch on the left? Do you use one of the Autocom-supplied clips to hold the lead when not in use?

(BTW, noticed the missing button cover on the IP. Did the spare work out for you? Old photo.)

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in