Cardio Blue Tooth Team set - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old May 22nd, 2007, 10:00 am Thread Starter

Thumbs up Cardio Blue Tooth Team set

Hello all,

I just wanted to write up a quick review of the Cardio Bluetooth Team set.

I wanted a wireless solution that would allow me to talk to the S.O. and hear the prompts and music from my Zumo 550 at the same time. I decided the buy the Cardio Team Set for a couple of reasons. 1. It has two speakers, although I dont think they are true stereo, but it is nice to hear volume in both ears. 2. they are supposed to have the capability to connect to a device and the passenger at the same time...which it does...sort of.

The intercom functionality:

I love the way these work as an intercom. They synch up automatically, so all you have to do is turn them on and you are ready to talk. The VOX works great at any speed. I did find that you had to really speak loud to activate the intercom when there was less wind noise, such as at lower speeds or stopped, which makes since. The mic did have to be right up to your lips to activate, but I think that is the case with any intercom. I have not noticed any false activations of the intercom do to wind. The intercom is loud and clear at interstate speeds (no problem hearing at 90 mph with my ear plugs in) and has a volume adjustment which once set really doesnt need to be messed with. If you do not like the VOX feature, you can set the intercom to be active all the time from the passenger unit. This worked nicely, but we did notice some hissing/static when they were on and we were not talking. We used to use an autocom easi 8 which was always on and it did not take long to adjust to using VOX which we ended up liking better.

Connecting to the Zumo:

It was very easy to pair the Zumo to the Cardio. Once paired, they automatically connect when either device detects the other. No buttons to press or resynchs necessary. The Zumo allows the music from the MP3 player and the voice prompts to come through at the same time. This worked great and I did not experience any problems connecting to or staying connected to the Zumo.

Connecting to the Zumo and Passenger at the same time:

This feature works with a few little quirks. If you want your passenger to hear the Zumo MP3 player and prompts you have to activate the "always on" feature of the passenger unit and then the "conference" feature of the driver unit. We found this worked out ok. One problem we ran into is when the voice prompts came on over the MP3 player the passenger unit would drop and I would have to reestablish the "conference" for the passenger to hear the MP3 player. I think it has something to do with Bluetooth devices only being able to connect to two devices at once or the switch between the voice prompt and music caused the conference to drop. Ultimately we decided to just use the LT's speakers for music and voice prompts. I decided I liked this much better anyway and found it much less distracting listening to music and prompts through the speakers instead of the headsets.

Connecting to the Zumo and Bloothooth Cell Phone:

I have not tried this feature, but I imagine this will work good as well. With the Cardio and Zumo, you have the option to pair your cell phone to the Cardio or Zumo. I imagine pairing to the Zumo would be the way to since you can see on the display who is calling and choose to accept or deny the call from the screen. You also have the ability to view your phone book on the Zumo.

Overall Impression/Recommended?

My overall impression is that the Cardio Team Set works just like it is advertised and provides the same sound quality as my Autocom wired system. I find it very convenient to be able to jump on and off the bike without "unplugging". It is also nice being able to talk to the wife through the helmet before she is on the bike. We found we had no problem with battery life. We finished a 10 hour trip with the headsets set to VOX and did not exceed the life of the battery. I would imagine if you had the headsets active all the time the battery would drain faster. The manufacture says 7 hours talk time in the "always on" position which I think the headsets would do very easily.

Would I recommend this product? YES if you are looking for a wireless intercom solution. YES if you are looking for a wireless connection to your Bluetooth phone and Bluetooth GPS as a solo rider. NO if you are looking for a simultaneous connection to your passenger, Bluetooth Phone, GPS/MP3 player all through the headsets.

For me, I love my current configuration and love being "wireless" thanks to the Cardio Team Set.

Sorry for the long post, but hopefully this will help some folks out who are looking for more information on a "bluetooth" headset.

-Ekim
2005 K1200LT (R.I.P.)
Manchester, MD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old May 22nd, 2007, 12:13 pm

Ekim,

Thanks for the writeup, looks very thorough. I have been waiting for this. Looks like this may be a good solution for me in the future as well.

Randy

2000 Canyon Red "Crimson Cruiser"
40,000 miles grinning, and counting....
BMWMOA # 131660
post #3 of 6 Old Jun 28th, 2007, 11:47 am

Thanks

Ekim,
Excellent write up. I am getting my Zumo today and have been trying to determine what com system to get. I like your setup with the music going through the LT's speakers, that was what I had been thinking and after your write up I think that is the way to go.
Thanks again for the input.

post #4 of 6 Old Jun 28th, 2007, 12:44 pm

Cardo Scala Team Set

+1 on Ekim's comments.

I recently acquired this unit for the same reasons: cost effective and totally wireless. And, it works! Exactly as reviewed.

When using the cell phone with the unit, most people have no idea that I am on a bike, travelling 120 km/hr. With the fa ce shield down on my modular helmet...virtually no wind noise can be detected. That said, I am not a big fan of using the phone while on a bike, or a car for that matter. Studies have shown that even with handsfree use of a cell phone in a car, the driver's attention is distracted. We all know how critical undivided attention to motorcyling is.

Set up and install of the unit is a breeze. For once, something that works as advertised.

Because I have a non-Bluetooth enabled GPS, rather than switching from the Garmin 2720, I think that I have found a Bluetooth adapter that will take the spoken turn-by-turn instructions and route them through the headset. All wirelessly. Same with the CB.

For a more exhaustive product review, please check this link: http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...com-review.htm

Paul M. Feldman

2008 - R1200RT "Cino"
2005 - KLT - "Tipsy" (now "Toasty") RIP
2004 - Suzuki Burgman 650
1978 - GL 1000
1985 - GL 1200 20th Anniversary Edition
1976 - Honda 750A
1973 - Honda CB 360 - "Bone Shaker"
1966 - Suzuki S80 - "Old Smokey"
post #5 of 6 Old Jun 29th, 2007, 12:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebish
+1 on Ekim's comments.

... / ...

For a more exhaustive product review, please check this link: http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...com-review.htm
That's the one I was speaking of in my post :
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24337

And I think you could have it cheaper with my link ...
And I confirm, it's great not to be wired !
And it's not really made to listen to music the quality given is quite poor !

Cheers
Tonio
post #6 of 6 Old Jun 29th, 2007, 1:40 pm

Cardo FM

I have just finished this setup and will leave on a 3200 mile trip tomorrow.

I had power for the Zumo 550 installed to the left handlebar. After much head scratching, I installed the Zumo to the BMW cupholder. Stuck velcro to the upper cupholder strut and ball mount (to prevent sliding), then wrapped two plastic ties around both. I positioned the Zumo in front of the volume/tune button, thereby getting it as close to my left hand as possible. It turned out better than I could imagine. It's very stable. (To illustrate how happy I am with the Zumo; my chief complaint is that the security screw locks itself during a ride of any length. Vibration and gravity. I can remove the screw completely, but just where do I store a micro-sized screw and remember where I put it three months later?)

Power and antenna to my Inno XM Sat Radio goes into the center compartment. I affixed the Inno mount on top of the compartment with velcro and connected the wires. I also put a little velcro between the Inno and it's mount. It's not going anywhere. I've got it positioned so that when I park the bike and lock the wheel, the XM is sort of hidden under the handlebar. If (when) I forget to take it with me, the chances of theft is reduced.

I purchased the Cardo FM version. I listen to the XM radio via FM, and receive GPS and cell phone via bluetooth. It all works just as intended. The quality of the speakers is very good. I've got a flip up helmet, which is as loud as they say it is, but I can still hear the music, GPS, and phone with no real trouble, all the more impressive because I have 60% hearing loss in one ear. Placing the speakers properly in the helmet is key. A half inch can have a big effect. The volume control of the Cardo doesn't allow as much fine tuning as I'd like (too loud or too quiet), but that's a minor problem. Music via bluetooth is still bad, so I downloaded an audio book to the Zumo. I'm better set up for entertainment on the bike than in my house.

When I finally get my SO to join in rides (not if, but when), my theory is to get another Cardo FM. She'll be able to hear the XM radio or find a local radio station. If she wants to talk to me, she can just call me on her cell! Unlimited minutes. Frankly, she has this habit of yelling "Watch Out!" when I drive. I'd just as soon not hear it via an intercom.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in