Chatterbox X1 + Zumo + cellphone - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old May 21st, 2007, 5:13 pm Thread Starter

Chatterbox X1 + Zumo + cellphone

I've been starting to post over on k-bikes and figured I'd throw in something a few might find useful to get started here too. Maybe it's too obvious and simple - if so flame away I've got thick skin.

I've got an 07 k12GT and been adding gadgets. Namely a Chatterbox X1 at the core with a Mixit 2 plugged to it's audio input. Radar detector and Zumo audio plugged into the Mixit works well. The upgraded earpieces off the radio shack headset (thanks LT forum!) took the sound quality up a few notches.

The problem: The chatterbox has only a wired cellphone connection that requires hitting the monitor button to switch from GMRS to cell. Aside from having to maneuver the phone to make calls and be able to hear the ringer on incoming calls. So.. it's cell capable but barely so. Not enough to bother with actually.

The Zumo (I have the 550) uses the bluetooth hands-free profile. Problem is that requires a wired mic input directly to the Zumo.

Solution: The chatterbox uses a 6-pin mini-DIN connector to the headset(s), aka a computer keyboard connector. That's right, you can use a $2 keyboard cable to connect your helmet to the X1. So I went to Fry's and picked up a PS2 splitter and a solder-together 6-pin mini-DIN connector. I hacked the end off one of those freebee earbud cellphone sets and made up a patch cable for the Zumo mic input. Plugged that into the now split headset connector. This taps the mic directly off the helmet and feeds it to the Zumo.

Now I have truly useful cellphone capability via the Zumo. It pairs with my Treo 700w flawlessly and the sound quality is awesome on both sides. I can carry a conversation at freeway speeds and on the other end I come through clear with no noise or shouting. I listened to a voice mail I left at home while running 80 mph and you couldn't tell I was on a bike. Drop the Treo in my jacket pocket and forget about it. When the bike starts the Zumo boots up and automatically connects to the phone. Shut it off and the phone is back to normal use.

I know some of the higher-end comm systems use powered mics so this will require some extra engineering in those cases. YMMV and all that...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old May 21st, 2007, 6:08 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas_l
I've been starting to post over on k-bikes and figured I'd throw in something a few might find useful to get started here too. Maybe it's too obvious and simple - if so flame away I've got thick skin.

I've got an 07 k12GT and been adding gadgets. Namely a Chatterbox X1 at the core with a Mixit 2 plugged to it's audio input. Radar detector and Zumo audio plugged into the Mixit works well. The upgraded earpieces off the radio shack headset (thanks LT forum!) took the sound quality up a few notches.

The problem: The chatterbox has only a wired cellphone connection that requires hitting the monitor button to switch from GMRS to cell. Aside from having to maneuver the phone to make calls and be able to hear the ringer on incoming calls. So.. it's cell capable but barely so. Not enough to bother with actually.

The Zumo (I have the 550) uses the bluetooth hands-free profile. Problem is that requires a wired mic input directly to the Zumo.

Solution: The chatterbox uses a 6-pin mini-DIN connector to the headset(s), aka a computer keyboard connector. That's right, you can use a $2 keyboard cable to connect your helmet to the X1. So I went to Fry's and picked up a PS2 splitter and a solder-together 6-pin mini-DIN connector. I hacked the end off one of those freebee earbud cellphone sets and made up a patch cable for the Zumo mic input. Plugged that into the now split headset connector. This taps the mic directly off the helmet and feeds it to the Zumo.

Now I have truly useful cellphone capability via the Zumo. It pairs with my Treo 700w flawlessly and the sound quality is awesome on both sides. I can carry a conversation at freeway speeds and on the other end I come through clear with no noise or shouting. I listened to a voice mail I left at home while running 80 mph and you couldn't tell I was on a bike. Drop the Treo in my jacket pocket and forget about it. When the bike starts the Zumo boots up and automatically connects to the phone. Shut it off and the phone is back to normal use.

I know some of the higher-end comm systems use powered mics so this will require some extra engineering in those cases. YMMV and all that...
Sounds great!

now if you can get a CB to work like that I'm in!

CB and GMRS that is THEE ticket for me!

Tom
post #3 of 3 Old May 21st, 2007, 6:52 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmgs
Sounds great!

now if you can get a CB to work like that I'm in!

CB and GMRS that is THEE ticket for me!

Tom
I suppose if you had a CB radio with headphone (audio only) jack and an external or aux mic jack to accept a small mono patch cable you could do the same thing. Plug the audio through the mixit and patch to the helmet mic. If you stack mono audio via the priority jack on the mixit you're music would mute when incoming rx breaks the squelch. Of course to tx you'd have to use a PTT button since you're bypassing the X1 and it's VOX capability, which would only work with the built in GMRS radio.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in