Razr owners: Inexpensive bluetooth into intercom fix - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old Nov 12th, 2005, 4:51 pm Thread Starter

Razr owners: Inexpensive bluetooth into intercom fix

After hours of trying different things I have finally found an inexpensive way to get my bluetooth phone to work with my Voice II intercom (btw this should work for any intercom with a phone in jack). The Motorola HF800 speakerphone is the solution. I have owned this for over six months but didn't know it had a 2.5mm out until just recently. I think there is a newer model but I don't know if it has the 2.5mm out. When not being used on you bike it works pretty well in the car. Here is a link: http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/4481.html

I have used this with my SMT5600 on my bike up to 70mph and have also tried it with a razr. This should work with any bluetooth phone.

They are selling new on Ebay for $25: http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Motorola-OEM...QQcmdZViewItem

All you need to do is plug a 2.5mm stereo cord from the HF800 to the phone in on the VoiceII. You will hear the phone ring in the helmet and the sound quality is awesome. I tested it talking to my wife up to 70mph. She said she couldn't tell I was on a motorcycle. I am not sure it matters when using it as a wireless headset jack but I would make sure the volume is all the way up on the HF800

This is a great solution for all Cingular users (and I assume T-mobile as well) as cingular phones pump a lot of interference through anything with a speaker. If I put my phone in the oddments box I hear interference while the phone is working. If I set it next to my computers speakers at the office I get a loud buzzing through the speakers. Now I can keep it in my pocket or velcroe it to a mount.

Let me share some of things that didn't work for me.

The BlueEar bluetooth headset (http://www.cdrdvdrmedia.com/bluetoot...le-phones.html) with the 2.5mm out does not work. I can hear the caller just find but they cannot hear me at all. I am sure somebody smarter than me with good soldering skills could make a cable that would allow it to work.

Trying to hardwire an SMT5600 microsoft smartphone using this adaptor did not work. http://www.pocketpctechs.com/main~un...PPCPADPT14.htm Using this I could hear the caller fine but they couldn't hear me well while stationary and not at all when the bike was started.

I am very happy with the HF800. I may jack around with one of the Parrott Bluetooth kits sometime down the road so I can see on the display who is calling but for now my task is complete.

Feel free to PM me if you want more details.

2018 R1200RT Mars Red
2017 R1200GS Rallye
2014 Husky FE501

Last edited by hammick; Nov 12th, 2005 at 7:25 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old Nov 29th, 2005, 8:30 am

Just to clarify your setup here, would the Motorola HF800 need to be mounted in your helmet and spoken in to or just by plugging it to the intercom does your helmet's microphone handle the audio in?
post #3 of 23 Old Apr 25th, 2006, 6:34 pm

How bluetooth Car Speakers connect...

Quote:
Originally Posted by edonthenet
Just to clarify your setup here, would the Motorola HF800 need to be mounted in your helmet and spoken in to or just by plugging it to the intercom does your helmet's microphone handle the audio in?
The HF820 is a car "speakerphone" that your phone connects to by bluetooth.

What this means: instead of using your phone's microphone and speaker, you send the signal to the HF820 "headset" - except it's a speakerphone. Fortunately, the HF820 also has a headset jack.... and this is what the original post used to pipe from the HF800 to the Voice-II and to your helmet headset... at that point the entire bike's intercom is just a terminal to the HF800/HF820, "like a headset," and you're using the HF800/HF820 as a bluetooth connector to your phone (it pipes through "regular wires' to your Voice-II).

You can see the headset jack on the HF820 here: HF820 Manual

The manual (also identifies the headset jack) for the HF800 is here: HF800 Manual

You might find other setup and FAQ help at Motorola's site here: Motorola Customer Support - United States

Regards,
Yarko

Last edited by yaklt; Apr 25th, 2006 at 6:39 pm.

post #4 of 23 Old Nov 10th, 2006, 8:30 pm

Baehr and bluetooth?

Does anyone know if this works with the Baehr K1200LT Product?
post #5 of 23 Old Nov 11th, 2006, 6:52 am

I think I read a few months ago that Motorola had taken this product off the market due to "technical" problems.
post #6 of 23 Old Nov 12th, 2006, 12:41 am

I just picked one of these up on EBAY for $25 + $8 shipping. For that price, it's worth the experiment. I paid that much for a Dang cable that didn't work!

HF820

2005 LT AKA:"PHAT BOY"
Dark Graphite

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 23 Old Nov 16th, 2006, 9:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1rob
I just ordered one, My bother goldwing ER... soon to be a K1200LT newbe ER told me about this product, i will let you know if it works with the Baehr.
o-yes thanks JIM.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Renzo
post #8 of 23 Old Nov 16th, 2006, 9:24 pm

Thumbs up

I just bought one of these and I don't even have a BT phone yet. Excellent info...thanks!
post #9 of 23 Old Nov 21st, 2006, 1:16 pm

Quote:
I tried this unit with my Motorola BT phone and Baehr set up with no joy. It may be the phone because my Motorola won't even work well with my hard wired set up. I have to use my Nokia 6800 for that.

Jacques
Dallas, TX USA
'05 K1200LT - '02 Suzuki V-Strom
post #10 of 23 Old Nov 21st, 2006, 7:17 pm

Cool

Placed my order yesterday on Ebay. I also have a Motorola Razr but, with a Voice11 intercom. Will know in a few days if its a go or no go.
post #11 of 23 Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 8:53 pm

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17202

Quote:

Renzo
post #12 of 23 Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 9:15 pm

Joe

It works perfectly with the intaride setup that we have...

Had mine since this spring and depending on who's phone we need to be using. We can use either my Pebl or Lindy's Samsung and it's very loud and very clear to communicate. I use mine all the time and my customers can't tell I'm on the bike untill I tell them....

I have the HF 820 ......

I posted about this some time ago. Several others have as well....

Just plugs into the cell phone input of the Intaride....

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #13 of 23 Old Dec 23rd, 2006, 11:59 am

I picked up an HF800 on eBay, and plugged it into my Autocom Pro-AVI intercom. Sound quality is great using my BlackBerry 8700C. Only problems are:

a) I cannot hear it ring through the intercom; and
b) Can't seem to figure out how to get the BB to auto-answer (only setting I found for auto-answer is to do so on removal from the holster, which is worthless on the bike)

Any clues?

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #14 of 23 Old Dec 23rd, 2006, 12:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputy5211
I picked up an HF800 on eBay, and plugged it into my Autocom Pro-AVI intercom. Sound quality is great using my BlackBerry 8700C. Only problems are:

a) I cannot hear it ring through the intercom; and
b) Can't seem to figure out how to get the BB to auto-answer (only setting I found for auto-answer is to do so on removal from the holster, which is worthless on the bike)

Any clues?
I've got a BB that I use with the Autocomm system. I've searched and searched for the auto-answer (and would love auto-dial too) mode and can't find it. AND I don't hear it ring thru to the helmet speakers either, butt I do hear it ringing in the Oddments box (course I wear earplugs, tho).

I just got to thinking, I've got an older unit - 7290 I think - and I'm wondering what that leetle button on the top edge of the case is for. It shows a phone icon. Hmmmmm!
post #15 of 23 Old Dec 23rd, 2006, 1:24 pm

I also have a 7290 sitting in a drawer as a spare . . .

I downloaded the manuals for 8700c and 7290 from the RIM web site, and neither addresses the auto-answer feature except as it relates to answering (or not) on removal from holster and hanging-up (or not) when re-holstering.

It figures.

I also have a couple of spare V3 RAZRs. I wonder if I could just put the SIM into one of them for use while riding, and back into the BB when I get to wherever. I would hope that the BB network would just queue up the messages until it sees the BB back online, but then . . . It would also be a pain in the ARSA (pilot humor) to have to carry two telephones just so I could yak while on the bloody bike. But then again, I am SOOOOOO important that I would not want anyone to miss the opportunity to chat with me [grin].

Me thinks I might check some of the BB forums and scout for a hack to permit auto-answer when connected via BT or even a wired headset. I'll post the results, if any, here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
I've got a BB that I use with the Autocomm system. I've searched and searched for the auto-answer (and would love auto-dial too) mode and can't find it. AND I don't hear it ring thru to the helmet speakers either, butt I do hear it ringing in the Oddments box (course I wear earplugs, tho).

I just got to thinking, I've got an older unit - 7290 I think - and I'm wondering what that leetle button on the top edge of the case is for. It shows a phone icon. Hmmmmm!

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #16 of 23 Old Dec 23rd, 2006, 1:35 pm

I started a new thread related to the BlackBerry issues (Blackberry and Auto-Answer, anyone?)in the hopes that someone will see the title and jump in with some advice.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

post #17 of 23 Old Dec 28th, 2006, 9:27 am

Fh820/voice Ii Works Great

I ordered the $25 unit from EBAY and received it last week. Plugged it into my VOICE II with the phone cable. It works great. My big complaint used to be that I couldn't hear the phone ring in the headset. With the HF820 that problem is solved and the voice quality is good as well. To me the big advantage is that I can use my cell phone on the bike while keeping the phone in my jacket pocket rather that having it attached to the bike. This way, if I ever become involuntarily seperated from the bike at least I'll have my phone handy to call for help.

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

post #18 of 23 Old Dec 31st, 2006, 10:51 pm

HF800 Works great

After getting an HF820, I realized (genius that I am) that the HF800 also lets you hear the phone ring through the intercom if you plug in the intercom-phone cord all the way in! Duh!!

So now I have 2 brand new HF800 units and an HF850. Anyone looking for an HF800??

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

post #19 of 23 Old Jan 1st, 2007, 8:40 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputy5211
Anyone looking for an HF800??
Sent ya a PM.

Dave

'03 K1200LT-C Dark Graphite
'96 Triumph Sprint 900 British Racing Green (traded)
'95 Yamaha Virago 750 Pearl/Black (sold)
post #20 of 23 Old Jan 8th, 2007, 5:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn_Keen
I ordered the $25 unit from EBAY and received it last week. Plugged it into my VOICE II with the phone cable. It works great.
Please tell me about this phone cable you mention?
My 820 arrived today, and I don't have a 2.5mm stereo male to male cable.
And neither does Radio Schack or anyplace else I've looked.
Do any of Y'all know a source for something like this?
or am I limited to going with 3.5mm stereo cable (which are plentiful)
with a 3.5 to 2.5mm adaptor at each end of the cable?

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #21 of 23 Old Jan 8th, 2007, 9:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBuffalo
Please tell me about this phone cable you mention?
My 820 arrived today, and I don't have a 2.5mm stereo male to male cable.
And neither does Radio Schack or anyplace else I've looked.
Do any of Y'all know a source for something like this?
or am I limited to going with 3.5mm stereo cable (which are plentiful)
with a 3.5 to 2.5mm adaptor at each end of the cable?
The cable that I use is a 3.5 (mini) male to 2.5 (sub-mini) male. Autocom includes one with their intercoms and calls it a phone cable. If push came to shove, you could order one from them. You may even find one one eBay. Bend Euro Moto is an Autocom dealer that sells on eBay at 10 - 20% off list. I checked and did not see the cable on there, but you can call KathyJo there at 541-617-9155 and she can help you. I saved some $$ by buying some accessories from them.

The part on the Autocom site is here.

Hans -- You have my cell number -- feel free to call me if I can be of any assistance.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

post #22 of 23 Old Jan 9th, 2007, 7:50 pm

Yes it does, thata the set up i am using.

I took a Motorola HF820 that I purchased from E-Bay $24.95 plus shipping.

The Baehr AKT-03-02 adapter cable for a cellular phone, $28.00

Connected the HF820 to the baehr communication system with the Baehr AKT-03-02 adapter cable, synchronized the HF 820 to my Razr v3 phone.

And here the best part, it works, you can make and receive clear calls through your Baehr system with very little expense, using bluetooth communications with your bluetooth phone through your Baehr system.

Thats it!
Renzo
Quote:

Renzo
post #23 of 23 Old May 14th, 2008, 2:29 pm

Re: Razr owners: Inexpensive bluetooth into intercom fix

I have the (Sprint) Treo Palm 755. I have a 2002 K1200LT with the factory Intercom system.

I have the BMW cell phone Male 2.5mm - Male 2.5mm cable.

The Treos have four poles (ground) left audio, right audio, and voice poles on its wired headset/mic combo.

The BMW cell phone cable only has three poles.

If I use the HF820 linked by Bluetooth to my Treo, how does the voice portion get in to the Intercom system? The 2.5mm plug out of the HF820 are for stereo sound only right?

Thanks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in