6 pin to 1 pin headset conversion - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old May 18th, 2007, 5:35 pm Thread Starter

6 pin to 1 pin headset conversion

Is it possible to use the 6pin connector on the 99 LT and use a standard stereo headset? My delema is I have custom headphones that were molded to my ear. The sound is absolutley perfect and I would like to plug them into the bike for the radio and cd. Is there some sort of converter that takes the 6 pin to a regular 1 pin audio?

Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old May 18th, 2007, 6:12 pm

By "1 pin" I'm assuming you mean a 3.5mm Stereo (TRS) plug. Yes, this would be very easy to make, but you may run into a little snag. A 3.5mm plug would give you sound to your custom headphones, but would not allow connectivity to a mic. Without the mic being connected, some intercom system don't "see" a headset and will not activate the connection. Are you following me?
post #3 of 20 Old May 18th, 2007, 6:17 pm
Lifetime Supporter

If that is the case, could the interface adapter have one or more components in it to make the system "think" there is a mic connected without sending any sound through the mic leads?

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 20 Old May 19th, 2007, 3:58 pm Thread Starter

I get your drift Deputy, Im pretty mechanically stupid, which is why I ask questions which sometimes seem to annoy the more adept tinkerer's. Having said that it seems that all of the helmet/intercom systems are pretty expensive. I only am looking for the music because my bike is used for commuting 95% of the time. My wife only rides with me a dozen or so times a season and thats only for morning coffee runs 100 miles away. As it stands I am mostly using my headset plugged into my Ipod stuffed in a jacket pocket. Nothing wrong with this set up howver it seems a shame not use the built in radio

tom
post #5 of 20 Old May 19th, 2007, 4:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputy5211
If that is the case, could the interface adapter have one or more components in it to make the system "think" there is a mic connected without sending any sound through the mic leads?
I suppose just a resistor would do the trick. I may experiment with this sometime this week...
post #6 of 20 Old May 19th, 2007, 6:47 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahpd1992
I get your drift Deputy, Im pretty mechanically stupid, which is why I ask questions which sometimes seem to annoy the more adept tinkerer's. Having said that it seems that all of the helmet/intercom systems are pretty expensive. I only am looking for the music because my bike is used for commuting 95% of the time. My wife only rides with me a dozen or so times a season and thats only for morning coffee runs 100 miles away. As it stands I am mostly using my headset plugged into my Ipod stuffed in a jacket pocket. Nothing wrong with this set up howver it seems a shame not use the built in radio

tom
Tom,
I'm not sure from reading your post whether you thought I was annoyed by your question or that I thought it was stupid. If you got that from my post, rest assured that was not my intent. I was responding to Joe's post about some intercoms needing to see a mic and not just speakers, and was just wondering aloud because I had no clue about how to do it, either.

As for hooking up the headset, now that I understand that you have no intercom system, I wonder if you could simply tap into the hot leads for the front speakers, plus the common speaker ground, and connect this to a headset jack you could plug into. The Autocom intercoms tap into the rear speaker wires in this way. They've got some gizmo(s) hidden under shrink wrap, but that is probably some isolator stuff since it is a bike-powered device. Taking it to the next level, there is probably a way to have it mute the speakers when you plus the headset in, much as would be done on a regular radio.

So... there's the idea. Who can simply describe how to implement this for us.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #7 of 20 Old May 19th, 2007, 8:05 pm

Tom,
Are you wanting to plug your 3.5 mm stereo male plug into your radio directly? Or, are you wanting to plug into an existing intercom?
I just hooked up an aviation headset to an autocom proM1 ( 99K1200LT) and it works perfectly well.
It sounds like you don't have a need for the mic to be hooked up which is fine. Like Joe says, if an impedance load is necessary a 1 k or greater, 1/4 watt resistor will load the mic circuit but I really don't think you need that (big systems with multiple possible mic imputs do frequently have this design need............... but I don't think you do in this case.
Your talking about a 6 pin 99LT which sounds like you have perhaps an intercom like the BC1? or 2? Looking into the male pin end, isn't there 5 male pins looking back at you? If you can fill in some of these questions then we can go from there....................... but, yes you can have what your asking. It is really quite simple. But, gotta know what you got there first!

Carl

K1200LT w/ KLT s/c
K1100LT w/ ECC
KLR-650

N9BMN
FD <> 4%

bmwmoa 100984

post #8 of 20 Old May 19th, 2007, 10:25 pm Thread Starter

Deputy I was being literal Im not upset with you at all and I appreciate your help. I was also somewhat thinking aloud, and stating a matter of fact. I am not very mechanical I ask things and sometimes wonder if my stupidity is annoying. If I offended I didnt mean to, and I take no offense at your responses

tom
post #9 of 20 Old May 19th, 2007, 10:28 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourdog
Tom,
Are you wanting to plug your 3.5 mm stereo male plug into your radio directly? Or, are you wanting to plug into an existing intercom?
I just hooked up an aviation headset to an autocom proM1 ( 99K1200LT) and it works perfectly well.
It sounds like you don't have a need for the mic to be hooked up which is fine. Like Joe says, if an impedance load is necessary a 1 k or greater, 1/4 watt resistor will load the mic circuit but I really don't think you need that (big systems with multiple possible mic imputs do frequently have this design need............... but I don't think you do in this case.
Your talking about a 6 pin 99LT which sounds like you have perhaps an intercom like the BC1? or 2? Looking into the male pin end, isn't there 5 male pins looking back at you? If you can fill in some of these questions then we can go from there....................... but, yes you can have what your asking. It is really quite simple. But, gotta know what you got there first!
Im gonna hafta get back to you as I am away from my bike (at work). I will let you know tommorow.
post #10 of 20 Old May 19th, 2007, 10:28 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Deputy I was being literal Im not upset with you at all and I appreciate your help. I was also somewhat thinking aloud, and stating a matter of fact. I am not very mechanical I ask things and sometimes wonder if my stupidity is annoying. If I offended I didnt mean to, and I take no offense at your responses

tom
Thank you for clarifying that, Tom. I just wanted to be sure it wasn't something I said.
Tony

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

post #11 of 20 Old May 19th, 2007, 10:30 pm Thread Starter

And to answer the second part of ur question no I do not have any existing intercom system that I am aware of. I did buy the bike used, but the previous owner never mentioned an intercom system

Tom
post #12 of 20 Old May 19th, 2007, 10:32 pm

Quote:
I am not very mechanical I ask things and sometimes wonder if my stupidity is annoying.
Tom,

Never . . . never . . . NEVER worry about being "annoying". I've made a career out of it. And at the end of the day, no matter what they might say, they still love me!
post #13 of 20 Old May 19th, 2007, 10:34 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Tom,

Never . . . never . . . NEVER worry about being "annoying". I've made a career out of it. And at the end of the day, no matter what they might say, they still love me!
Especially the waitresses, right Joe?

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

post #14 of 20 Old May 20th, 2007, 10:22 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Im gonna hafta get back to you as I am away from my bike (at work). I will let you know tommorow.
I looked at the receptical (female) in the fairing and it looks like a 6 pin connector. There are four holes in a perfect square, one hole in the center and one hole on top of the square. I hope that description helps

Tom
post #15 of 20 Old May 20th, 2007, 11:24 am

Maria at Now Hear This, solved the problem for me several years ago. See her product at http://www.plugup.com/bmw.php She will also be at CCR at Tan Tar A, talking my money.

No affiliation just a long time satisfied customer.

After further thought on the subject, I have an old headset in my tank bag to remedy the situation talked about by Joe et al. I do not have a need for a mic and don't have a head set in the helmet.

If you have the connection described in the right front panel of the bike and in the top case for the passenger, you have an intercom system. The "standard"s that came with out the comm system do not have that headset receptacle on the bike.

Jeff in Myrtle Beach
'01 LTC
'99 Icon champagne
'02 KLR 650
TZ 185 2 stroke
Honda R100R beater

Last edited by jeffklt; May 20th, 2007 at 3:07 pm.
post #16 of 20 Old May 20th, 2007, 3:42 pm Thread Starter

Jeff this looks like the solution, yes I have the intercom. Mine is on the front left part of the fairing so I dont know how long the cord is or needs to be, but I thin that may do it

Thnx
Tom
post #17 of 20 Old May 20th, 2007, 7:04 pm

Tom,
Give me an e-mail and we'll set something up to solder a few pieces together and get you going. Do you have a male plug w/ the appropriate 6 pins plus, I think a 3.5mm female receptacle for your headphones/ earphones?
We are not too far apart (I am between Woodstock and Harvard).
I am shortly headed south to Huntsville, Alabama for a week plus a day riding my K12LT/ sidecar freighting some stuff to our daughter down there.

Or, you can do the very nice deal that "Maria" has!

Or, you may be very handy with a soldering gun too!

Carl

K1200LT w/ KLT s/c
K1100LT w/ ECC
KLR-650

N9BMN
FD <> 4%

bmwmoa 100984

post #18 of 20 Old May 26th, 2007, 9:06 pm

Exclamation

Hey...check this out! Leave it to Aerostich.
post #19 of 20 Old Jun 15th, 2007, 6:43 pm Thread Starter

No solution for me

Well Tourdog and I met up and he's a shadetree electrical engineer. He made a beautiful set up, but it turns out the BC1 intercom unit (I didnt know what I had) is broken and since the company that made them is gone it appears Il have to go with another intercom system to acomplish what I originally set out to do. That is an expensive proposition and you know what, the sound quality of my speakers just got a lot better after I priced out intercom systems. With all of that said I want to thank everyone and a special thanks to Tourdog who met up with me twice and suffered through my endless tales over coffee

Tom
post #20 of 20 Old Jun 15th, 2007, 10:38 pm

Hey all,
Tom is a great guy! He handles the LT like we all wish we could............... well, maybe because he is a LEO and Moto Trained Cops all do this?! But, most of all we owe these guys............. they are our "First Responders"!

I wish I had a Pro-M1 or similar, gathering dust and an "electrec" mic, Tom and I could have that puppy doing "official duty" real quick.

"Ride to work, day"?! Ummmh, Tom commutes into the city everyday on his beautiful "canyon red" K1200LT.

Carl

K1200LT w/ KLT s/c
K1100LT w/ ECC
KLR-650

N9BMN
FD <> 4%

bmwmoa 100984

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in