LT Intercoms - How can you tell if it has one? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old May 12th, 2007, 1:47 pm Thread Starter

LT Intercoms - How can you tell if it has one?

I'm new to LT's and am looking at several for purchase, moving up from an R1100RT. I asked one owner (2002) if his has an intercom installed. He said, "Yes, it does have the front and rear intercom outlets." He sent pics which show the tank compartment with the cassette but no intercom box. I was under the assumption that if it had an intercom, it would have the box. Does having the outlets mean it has an intercom?

Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old May 12th, 2007, 2:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvollnogle
I'm new to LT's and am looking at several for purchase, moving up from an R1100RT. I asked one owner (2002) if his has an intercom installed. He said, "Yes, it does have the front and rear intercom outlets." He sent pics which show the tank compartment with the cassette but no intercom box. I was under the assumption that if it had an intercom, it would have the box. Does having the outlets mean it has an intercom?

Thanks for your help.

Hi Terry,

the bike can have some other intercom than BMW. These (Autocom, Baehr etc) are usually installed under the rider or pillion seat. Only BMW intercom mounts in the tank compartment.

If the bike has the two helmet outlets it has the intercom as well. The question is really: What intercom is it and will you get the helmets or helmet sets with the bike as well or do you need to purchase them separately.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Ari "the Farkle-Freak-Finn" Ignatius

Hyvinkää, Finland
2004 ('05) LT, Dark Graphite, "Sunset Cruiser II"

Bike trip from Finland to USA:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pictures of various farkle projects:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old May 12th, 2007, 3:51 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the info, Ari.

He isn't including helmets, although I don't think he ever used the intercom so they probably aren't set up. He just bought the bike last fall with intentions of travel, but now has to sell due to illness. I'll inquire about aftermarket.

Thanks again.

post #4 of 6 Old May 12th, 2007, 3:53 pm

When you say that the photo of the oddsment box above the tank shows a cassette but no intercom box, are you sure? The BMW BC intercom portion looks very integrated with the cassette portion and is just a black faceplate with a couple of switches and knobs.

Regards...Barry

99 K1200LT LTC
post #5 of 6 Old May 13th, 2007, 5:28 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canabarry
When you say that the photo of the oddsment box above the tank shows a cassette but no intercom box, are you sure? The BMW BC intercom portion looks very integrated with the cassette portion and is just a black faceplate with a couple of switches and knobs.
After asking some specific questions of the current owner, I determined that it doesn't have an intercom system. What he thought were jacks for the helmets were the power outlets. Thanks for your response.
Terry
post #6 of 6 Old May 14th, 2007, 1:08 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvollnogle
After asking some specific questions of the current owner, I determined that it doesn't have an intercom system. What he thought were jacks for the helmets were the power outlets. Thanks for your response.
Terry
Hi Terry,

glad that you got that figured out. There is indeed a difference between a 12 V power outlet and intercom plug.
Both have wires connected into it but it still is not enough...

God luck with your seach for a bike.

Regards

Ari "the Farkle-Freak-Finn" Ignatius

Hyvinkää, Finland
2004 ('05) LT, Dark Graphite, "Sunset Cruiser II"

Bike trip from Finland to USA:

Pictures of various farkle projects:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in