HEadset Recommendations for '07 LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old May 11th, 2007, 6:29 pm Thread Starter

Headset Recommendations for '07 LT

I've been banging my head around with Bluetooth vs. Wired and can see a good use for both. I guess it is boiling down, for me, to getting more presence to the helmet and the only way to "have it all" is to get wired... ...way too much work to get the bluetooth option to work.

I've been poking around these forums trying to find specifics on wired headset options that are compatible with an '07 LT and didn't get any hits (search algorithm challenged).

I read about J&M sound quality/lack of, BMW over priced & poor sound, ICM, etc. On some of the manufacturer sites, I've seen the 5/6 pin and I would imagine I need the 6.

The thing that makes nervous is that some sites only reference model years up to 2005 and have the 6 pin versions.

I'm sure there are a lot of people that have comments and this field has been plowed before, but if someone could point me in the right direction for '07 related references I would be grateful. I would also appreciate comments on models for the Nolan N-102 helmet and standard full face helmets.

Cheers,

Sam Martin
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'07 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by hmbmartin; May 11th, 2007 at 6:35 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old May 11th, 2007, 8:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmbmartin
I've been banging my head around with Bluetooth vs. Wired and can see a good use for both. I guess it is boiling down, for me, to getting more presence to the helmet and the only way to "have it all" is to get wired... ...way too much work to get the bluetooth option to work.

I've been poking around these forums trying to find specifics on wired headset options that are compatible with an '07 LT and didn't get any hits (search algorithm challenged).

I read about J&M sound quality/lack of, BMW over priced & poor sound, ICM, etc. On some of the manufacturer sites, I've seen the 5/6 pin and I would imagine I need the 6.

The thing that makes nervous is that some sites only reference model years up to 2005 and have the 6 pin versions.

I'm sure there are a lot of people that have comments and this field has been plowed before, but if someone could point me in the right direction for '07 related references I would be grateful. I would also appreciate comments on models for the Nolan N-102 helmet and standard full face helmets.
I have the J&M/KBC shorties and can't complain about the quality. Their customer service was excellent when I had a mic fail. Since it is a open helmet I wear ear plugs and can hear the intercom and music just fine. Bass is what you expect out of a 2 inch speaker... I have also borrowed a N-103 w/ the J&M integrated headset. I think I noticed the imperfections more in the Nolan since the wind noise was reduced. I felt claustrophobic in the Nolan - the chin bar was say too close for my liking. I would say both headsets were a bit tinny with poor bass response, just what I would expect from a 2 inch free-air speaker. The Nolan has the Elite series and it was slightly better.

I have just switched to the Baehr system. I added a Baehr headset to a flip-up Vega helmet. (inexpensive, but webbikeworld rated them pretty well) Thel helmet falls somewhere between my KBC and the Nolan (close to the Nolan) in wind noise. The Baehr headset has slightly larger speakers (I think) and sounds better than the J&M KBC, but again not as good as the Nolan for mids and highs; the bass is best with the Baehr headset.

Before I switched to the Baehr I had a Edsets headset w/ BMW adapter in the Vega. The Edsets performed the best in all categories, but the multiple connections caused static until I added dielectric grease and some shrink wrap to the connections.

Your '07 should have the VOICE II if it is the stock intercom. You'll have a single knob in the oddments box and headset connections (6-pin) on the left side of the radio stingray and by the powerlet on the left side of the trunk.

Good luck.

2005 Graphite
The only way to live is in the wind....
post #3 of 3 Old Feb 12th, 2008, 9:03 am

Maven,

We have a new cable you can order for free to replace the flat-cable helmet connector you have. It's made with Kevlar core cable that uses no-load helical wound tinsel wire for incredible long life and durability. If you want it, check the website and order using the coupon code you find on the main page in the article that discusses the new cable. That will end your wire issues forever.

We've also got a new externally mounted kit available too if you prefer a 2-section cable system.

Ed

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in