Helmetless headset w/mic??? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old May 11th, 2007, 3:48 pm Thread Starter

Helmetless headset w/mic???

Does anyone use a premium headset with a mic that doesn't require a helmet? I don't ride with a helmet most of the time here in Florida and I was wondering if is anyone can recommend a good headset. I was thinking about buying a Bose headset and adding a mic. After a lot of searching I couldn't find a boom mic for sale by itself. - Tom

'02 LT Silver
Purchased April 07
77K miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old May 11th, 2007, 3:58 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomlando
Does anyone use a premium headset with a mic that doesn't require a helmet? I don't ride with a helmet most of the time here in Florida and I was wondering if is anyone can recommend a good headset. I was thinking about buying a Bose headset and adding a mic. After a lot of searching I couldn't find a boom mic for sale by itself. - Tom
I'll sidestep the issue of helmetless riding here and add a different caution instead. . .

You might check your state laws, as many prohibit using a headset that covers both ears when operating a motor vehicle. Yes, most in-helmet headsets cover both ears, but they're obscured by a helmet. Wearing headphones without the helmet would make it obvious that both ears are covered and increase your likelihood of being stopped by the local constabulary.

There are several LEOs in FL in this forum, perhaps one or more can add a local opinion to this.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 Old May 11th, 2007, 4:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputy5211
I'll sidestep the issue of helmetless riding here and add a different caution instead. . .
You are right Tony, he rides in FLORIDA, you know, the Sunny State. Nothing bad can happen there, he'll be allright without the helmet, so hot and everything...no worries.

Regards

Ari "the Farkle-Freak-Finn" Ignatius

Hyvinkää, Finland
2004 ('05) LT, Dark Graphite, "Sunset Cruiser II"

Bike trip from Finland to USA:

Pictures of various farkle projects:

post #4 of 13 Old May 11th, 2007, 5:32 pm Thread Starter

I don't think my questions were addressed to either of the two responses thus far. It is not mandatory to where a helmet in the state of Florida and many riders choose not to. Sometimes I wear and sometimes I don't. I'll ride as I please, you'll ride as you please. Is this a great country or what? I repeat: "Does anyone use a premium headset with a mic that doesn't require a helmet?

'02 LT Silver
Purchased April 07
77K miles
post #5 of 13 Old May 11th, 2007, 7:33 pm

tomlando

Amen Bro, but the safety Nutzies just can't help themselves. OMFG you ride a motorcycle!

EZ-RDR55
The opinions expressed herein are mine, and do not represent that of any other humanoid past, present or future on this or any other planet.

'95 H-D FXDWG
'06 Honda CRF250X
'04 KTM 450EXC
'97 Honda XR-600R
'04 K1200LT (Sold)
'07 K1200GT (Sold)
'09 Wee-Strom DL-650ABS
post #6 of 13 Old May 11th, 2007, 8:06 pm

Quote:
I don't think my questions were addressed to either of the two responses thus far. It is not mandatory to where a helmet in the state of Florida and many riders choose not to. Sometimes I wear and sometimes I don't. I'll ride as I please, you'll ride as you please. Is this a great country or what? I repeat: "Does anyone use a premium headset with a mic that doesn't require a helmet?
When I got my LT I asked the same question and caught about the came amount of crap for it...

What communication system do you have?

On my '05 I had a BMW VOICE II and I found a headset, but I took a test ride or two with it and it never fit me right. I think I got it from www.sierra-mc.com but I can't remember for sure.

It is an IMC; I still have it like new in the box. If you want it, it's yours for cheap.

Oh, yeah I gave up on the idea and now wear the helmet when I need to communicate...

Tim

2005 Graphite
The only way to live is in the wind....
post #7 of 13 Old May 11th, 2007, 8:24 pm

Quote:

Interesting question... but you won't be able to have both ears covered... well I guess you could but I would not spend a lot of money...

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #8 of 13 Old May 11th, 2007, 10:01 pm Thread Starter

I understand that, EZ rdr55. If I listened to what everyone tells me about my safety I would have never got on a bike 30 some odd years ago. I tend to concentrate on my riding style, traffic and issues that are of concern to me, rather then tell others how to live their lives.
Tim, I have a computer headset that plugs into my Garmin Zumo and works ok, but I was looking to upgrade to a better quality headset, thus the Bose on-ear headset got my attention. With the on-ear set I have now I can hear everything around me just fine, so I am thinking that with the Bose it will be the same. I really just need a boom mic to attach to them. Thanks for the offer, though! - Tom

'02 LT Silver
Purchased April 07
77K miles
post #9 of 13 Old May 12th, 2007, 12:31 am
Lifetime Supporter

Safety Nazi's? I don't think so. I specifically stepped around the helmet issue and went right to pointing out that your state's laws may not allow operation of a vehicle without both ears covered (which was confirmed by a subsequent poster).

I didn't read anyone telling you what to do, so not sure where all the drama is based. In your state, whether you wear a helmet or not is your choice. In my state (TX), it is also a choice, and I confess that I have not always worn a helmet. So what?

As for headsets with a boom microphone, I think I saw one on the Autocom site. I don't know what kind of intercom you are using, so that may not be helpful to you. You may also find professional communications headsets that you could rig to your system if you have the right pinouts. Aviation headsets (I like David Clark headsets) come to mind.

Best of success in your search.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #10 of 13 Old May 12th, 2007, 7:58 am Thread Starter

I haven't decided what comm unit to get yet. Right now I am using the Zumo for Nav voice, MP3, XM and cell. It has a 3.5mm audio-outlet that works for a headset or to the audio-in on top of the CD player so that everything comes through and is regulated by the handlebar controls. The mic input is a 2.5 mono. This all works ok with the cheap stereo computer headset w/mic, but of course the mic doesn't do well at speed and the sound quality could be improved. The Autocom and Seirra sites both sell boom mics seperately. Thanks Tim and Tony. Does anyone have experience on which mics may work better? Now I just have to design something to attach it to the headset I choose.
As far as a comm system goes, My requirements have greatly been reduced by the ZUMO. I need bike to bike, intercom and zumo inputs. I also want to be able to have everything go through the speakers or a headset. I'll be working on that next. - Tom

'02 LT Silver
Purchased April 07
77K miles
post #11 of 13 Old May 12th, 2007, 4:16 pm
Lifetime Supporter

This doesn't go to which mic to use, but you might try adding a foam windsock over your current mic and see if that helps with what you have until you find what you want.

You might find one at a Honda shop or a GW site. . .

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

post #12 of 13 Old May 12th, 2007, 4:41 pm Thread Starter

I bought a Bose on-ear headset today and wow! did it make a difference. It cost quite a bit but the sound is fantastic. The volume level with the old set was maxed out and I still wanted a little more sometimes. Now the levels are powered way back, almost in half. I need to get a good mic and a windsock and I'm all set....for a little while anyway...until I get my comm sys. Thanks for you input! - Tom

'02 LT Silver
Purchased April 07
77K miles
post #13 of 13 Old May 16th, 2007, 6:07 pm

Tomlando,
Just saw your question and your most recent comment so I am a little late but!
I have my aviation "sigtronics s-40" headset with the electic mic for anyone in my sidecar. Sigtronics is a main competition for David Clark. Impedance wise they are handled very well into my AutoCom ProM-1 system. Ear volume matches the autocom headsets and the mic is superior in everyway from the Autocom units that I have. Open cockpit you use the wind muff over the mic. Not necessary other than that. The headset uses a standard 1/4" male plug and the mic the standard aviation plug. Female receptacles are readily available and the wiring is straight forward.
All the caveats have been covered as I read the above thread.

Carl

K1200LT w/ KLT s/c
K1100LT w/ ECC
KLR-650

N9BMN
FD <> 4%

bmwmoa 100984

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in