Second sound channel for mommy - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old May 6th, 2007, 4:31 am Thread Starter

Second sound channel for mommy

OK guys, time to add farkles to keep momma happy on the coming longish rides. Not that she is demanding anything special but knowing that riding on a bike is not such a big thrill for her as it is for me, I came to think about the following:

I have noticed that many times on our rides she would prefer either different music or total silence whereas I am so used to listening to radio or music that I could not ride long without them.

I have Baehr Ultima XL for LT intrecom with custom molded earplug speakers for both. To Baehr I have connected the bike radio of course, a bike-to-bike radio, iPod via Ice-Link, GPS and cell phone via Baehr bluetooth unit.

The question is: How to create a separate sound channel for the passenger that she could
a) listen to her own music / voicebooks
b) have her own separate cell phone conversations with her friends etc.

As we know the cell phone thing is a special Baehr handicap. For some reason the pillion can hear the main cell phone but her voice does not go through.

Possible solution ideas for # 2 iPod:
1) To cut the Baehr pillion helmet cable and add a second sound source to the speaker wires. This should be done via a separating switch to avoid two simultaneous inputs to speaker wires. If I want her to listen to me / the main intercom she has to flip the switch in order to hear it.

2) To add a second (simple & cheap) Intercom unit that could accommodate both Ipod and cell phone inputs. The helmet cable of the second intercom should again be spliced into the existing Baehr pillion cable but this time also the voice wire needs to be used in order to make the cell phone connection possible. Again some kind of a switch assembly would be needed to choose which source is being used for signal input.

Has anyone ever come up with solutions / suggestions to this "problem"?

As we all know, "everybody is happy when momma is happy".

Best regards

Ari "the Farkle-Freak-Finn" Ignatius

Hyvinkää, Finland
2004 ('05) LT, Dark Graphite, "Sunset Cruiser II"

Bike trip from Finland to USA:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pictures of various farkle projects:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old May 6th, 2007, 9:15 pm

Evening Ari

I know Kennedy has a bunch of different units for connecting alternate inputs with override capability when an audible trigger occurs. You can see their products on http://www.cyclegadgets.com/products/KT/?Item=KT-NEW

The only challenge I see with this is that whether you use automation or a manual switch, you will have trouble communicating with the significant other. If you have her headsets giving priority to her music source (with a switch or an electronic device) and muting your music, then its got no way to recognize your audible voice signal either asking her if she'd like to stop for a quick bite at the dinner coming up. The only way I can think of getting around that is using a couple of devices or a couple of switches to shunt your audible voice to top priority, which will get complex and expensive. Given your ability to fabricate these things, I'm sure you could work through this.

Of course in my case, I'd be able to get by with just the one switch and the understanding from my wife that when I reach back with my left hand and tap her, I want her to switch to the existing legacy comm system setting. She'd do the same to me with a gentle tap to the back of my helmet and when I woke up, I'd flip the switch.

So many toys out there, so little time!
2015 BMW K1600GTLE

2008 Piaggio 250 Betty's toy
2001 HD FLSTSI
1957 BMW R60

IBA #26695
RA #39456
MOA #150880

Always looking for more...
post #3 of 5 Old Jul 12th, 2007, 5:00 am Thread Starter

Wink Second Baehr for the mommy

So here is the project ready:

http://picasaweb.google.com/pozoizqu...BAEHR2FORMOMMY

Regards

Hyvinkää, Finland

post #4 of 5 Old Jul 12th, 2007, 10:42 am

Thumbs up

WOW!

I've got to study this for a while but great job. Let me preface this with my total ignorance of 2-up riding. Still thinking about it at this point. I got the idea that she has to switch over from her own phone/ipod to the bike intercom, correct? Do you have a way to break in if you need to communicate to her right away other than signaling her manually and waiting for her to switch over? Is that ever an issue? Seems like the passenger will now be extra distracted and hard to redirect if things need to happen in a hurry. Is this a problem?

Great project and something the industry should be offering as part of their intercom packages. You are blazing a much needed trail here. Thank you.

Dan
2005 K1200LT - Ocean Blue

; Nolan 103 Helmet w/Bluetooth;
;
;
and
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Secures gear/luggage);
; Droid X (Replaces
and factory radio);
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Not installed);
(Currently unistalled),
; Clymer Manual; BMW Service DVD
post #5 of 5 Old Jul 12th, 2007, 2:12 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dglenn1
WOW!

I've got to study this for a while but great job. Let me preface this with my total ignorance of 2-up riding. Still thinking about it at this point. I got the idea that she has to switch over from her own phone/ipod to the bike intercom, correct? Do you have a way to break in if you need to communicate to her right away other than signaling her manually and waiting for her to switch over? Is that ever an issue? Seems like the passenger will now be extra distracted and hard to redirect if things need to happen in a hurry. Is this a problem?

Great project and something the industry should be offering as part of their intercom packages. You are blazing a much needed trail here. Thank you.

Hi Dan and thanks for the compliments.

The whole idea to this came actually up based on the Baehr handicap that the passenger cannot participate in cell phone (or other radio communications for that matter) conversations. With Autocom for instance this problem does not exist.
Anyway, currently the only switch to command the sound source to passenger helmet set is located on the left passenger trunk panel. If I want to talk to her, I must (gently ) tap her knee and ask for permission to talk...
Well, really I could make sort of a PTT button for myself so I could interrupt her phone conversation or foreign language listening session but that will be one of the next winter projects if the need arises.

I also have to point out that we are not in so bad speaking terms with my dear wife that she would constantly be "offline" from me. It is just sometimes that she would like to make or receive her own phone calls and listen to her own music (or even nothing) in case my music or radio station gets boring. She also likes to keep up her English/Swedish/German/Russian/Spanish skills by listening to language courses.
And I have already decided that I will not hook up a separate iPod to this second Baehr. Today's cell phone has the MP3 player and it even works as a GPS so one unit can do all the needed passenger entertainment without all the wires and stuff.

As for the safety issue, you made a point. I have not thought about that. Perhaps the override PTT button would make sense and it also would make a nice winter weekend project .
On the other hand - there are a lot of bikes where rider and passenger just ride without any other means of communication than tapping the shoulder or knee...

Thanks for your input and best regards

Hyvinkää, Finland

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in