Cable question FRS radio - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Apr 24th, 2007, 3:20 pm Thread Starter

Cable question FRS radio

No doubt the answer is in the archives somewhere, but the search function isn't providing the answer I seek - so humbly asking forgivness in advance and requesting info on the following:

I have an 06 LT and installed the latest version of the Comm system over the weekend. Not a bad experience but not a lot of fun either. It works and I have no extra screws. I'd now like to connect an FRS/GMRS radio. The install/owners manual shows a two prong connector almost identical to the two prong connector to the FRS/GMRS radio that I own. Do any of you know where one obtains a cable with the male connectors on each end? Not a BMW part number that we can see.

Also assuming the BMW PTT will work with the FRS/GMRS radio.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Apr 24th, 2007, 3:31 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Try this cable for VOICE II, BMW P/N 65 41 2 337 298, which is shown on the online parts fiche under Radios/Special Equipment | Intercom Bc-V.O.I.C.E as "connecting line, radio (433 MHZ)".

HTH

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old Apr 24th, 2007, 3:44 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undecided
No doubt the answer is in the archives somewhere, but the search function isn't providing the answer I seek - so humbly asking forgivness in advance and requesting info on the following:

I have an 06 LT and installed the latest version of the Comm system over the weekend. Not a bad experience but not a lot of fun either. It works and I have no extra screws. I'd now like to connect an FRS/GMRS radio. The install/owners manual shows a two prong connector almost identical to the two prong connector to the FRS/GMRS radio that I own. Do any of you know where one obtains a cable with the male connectors on each end? Not a BMW part number that we can see.

Thanks in advance.
Take Tony's advice first, butt then if you need more accessories for audio farkles, this site might be helpful.

post #4 of 6 Old Apr 24th, 2007, 3:54 pm

Assume we're referring to using Kenwood FRS radios. UBZ-LF14 or LH14, for example.

I've noticed some online dealers seem to be stocking on that cable still, but my local dealers can't seem to order it as it's "no longer available" even though it appears in the catalog. So, snag one if you can. I have some of the other BMW cables; quality is quite good and prices are predictably commensurate.

An option might be to do what I did which is buy the mini and sub-mini male to male pairs in short lengths (6" or 12", for example.) Zip tie them together, and voila, instant cable. I even made a longish one if I want to stash the radio far away from the intercom.

I'm on travel for the next few days, so sorry for no pics to post, but it's a pretty simple concept. I sourced the cables from my local electronics store and I think they were in a Calrad package.
post #5 of 6 Old Apr 24th, 2007, 4:53 pm Thread Starter

Thanks to all - got what I need

Cheers,
post #6 of 6 Old Apr 24th, 2007, 5:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undecided

Thanks in advance.
I just purchased the FRS cable (p/n #65142337298) and the PTT button kit ( p/n #82000419352) from Chicago BMW for $25.85 and $60.00, respectively. The PTT and cable both work with a Kenwood GMRS TK-3131 connected to the Voice II communications system. I was hoping that I could use the Midland radios that I already owned but they were not compatible with the FRS cable pin configuration so I purchased the Kenwood for about $130 (twice as expensive as the Midlands).

The Kenwood radio is a quality radio and small enough to fit in the oddiments box. The PTT kit comes with two PTT buttons and the hardware to mount one of the buttons on the bottom of the left handlebar using the "mirror" hole. The PTT button location is comfortable. The second PTT button is exactly the same as the first and supposedly can be mounted for passenger use. I haven't mounted the passenger PTT button because the reason that I go riding is so I don't have to talk to my wife (HaHa...don't tell her I said that!) My 2007 had two wires under the handlebar cover ready for the connection to the PTT button. My Voice II was factory installed though.

Jim S.
'07 SturmGrau K1200LT

“Not all those who wander are lost.”

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in