Do you need MORE inputs on your budget intercom system? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Apr 19th, 2007, 5:55 am Thread Starter

Question Do you need MORE inputs on your budget intercom system?

Lately it seems I've been asked about this several times, so I thought it was time to share this information. And just so I'm not getting too much credit here, this ain't nothing that I thought up. This is pretty Old Skool stuff.

I love my IntaRide RP-1 intercom. But I ran out of inputs on it when I decided that I wanted to pipe the Valentine One's *beep beep* into my ears. You can't just simply buy a 'Y' cable and share an input with another device. That's a really good way to burn something up. So what I did was build a simple "Passive Mixer". It's VERY inexpensive, a fun little do-it-yourself project, and best of all - IT WORKS! Here's what you do...

Go to RadioShack and buy:
  • A little project box (p/n 270-1801)
  • A couple of packs of resistors (p/n 271-1124 if you want 4.7k-Ohm Inputs) & (p/n 271-1126 if you want 10k-Ohm Inputs) I decided on both.
  • 2 packs of 3.5mm mini jacks (p/n 274-249)
That totals to about $11. Not too shabby, eh? Don't forget to buy solder if you're out...or you can't find yours.

Basically, all you do is use the resistors as jumpers and tie all the contacts together. (See the back of the package for the pinout numbers on the jacks.) Connect all of the 'Pin 2' contacts together (aka the 'Tip', or left channel contact). Then connect all of the 'Pin 3' contacts together (aka the 'Ring', or right channel contact). Lastly, tie all of the ground pins together (without resistors) using a small piece of wire (that's the blue & white wire in my pic).

Make sense? Hopefully my pics will clarify things.

As for why I used 10k-Ohm resistors AND 4.7k-Ohm resistors. My GPS and Valentine One have VERY HOT output levels. The 10k-Ohm resistors do a better job at trimming these levels down a bit. For a music input, I would definitely use 4.7k-Ohm resistors.

So get those soldering guns out, and go nuts! Just don't burn yourself...like you did the last time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PassiveMixer_resistors.jpg
Views:	517
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	11113   Click image for larger version

Name:	PassiveMixer_3Inputs.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	11114   Click image for larger version

Name:	PassiveMixer_Output.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	11115  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Apr 19th, 2007, 10:18 am
Lifetime Supporter

Joe.. I have that list.. and layout you sent.. when I'm back on my feet I'm going to stick them all together..

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old May 6th, 2007, 11:41 pm

So how many inputs could a guy do one of these with?

Ghaison (Jason)
99 K1200RS Silver and Blue (Sold!)
2004 K1200LT FOR SALE!!!
Bluefield, VA
Sometimes you can get so fixated on the fact that you are right that you lose sight of the reality that it doesn't matter.
-some guy named Ghaison circa 2002

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 Old May 7th, 2007, 7:39 am
Lifetime Supporter

supposedly it is "unlimited"... haven't hooked it all up yet.... how many does a guy need?

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #5 of 10 Old May 7th, 2007, 9:00 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrovarious
So how many inputs could a guy do one of these with?
I would not go more than 4.
post #6 of 10 Old May 21st, 2007, 5:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfell
supposedly it is "unlimited"... haven't hooked it all up yet.... how many does a guy need?
what about ground loop issues?
post #7 of 10 Old May 21st, 2007, 7:14 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmgs
what about ground loop issues?
This "passive mixer" with not introduce, nor will it eliminate a ground loop.
post #8 of 10 Old Jul 10th, 2007, 12:11 pm

Red face Just GPS and IPod...Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Lately it seems I've been asked about this several times, so I thought it was time to share this information. And just so I'm not getting too much credit here, this ain't nothing that I thought up. This is pretty Old Skool stuff.

I love my IntaRide RP-1 intercom. But I ran out of inputs on it when I decided that I wanted to pipe the Valentine One's *beep beep* into my ears. You can't just simply buy a 'Y' cable and share an input with another device. That's a really good way to burn something up. So what I did was build a simple "Passive Mixer". It's VERY inexpensive, a fun little do-it-yourself project, and best of all - IT WORKS! Here's what you do...

Go to RadioShack and buy:
  • A little project box (p/n 270-1801)
  • A couple of packs of resistors (p/n 271-1124 if you want 4.7k-Ohm Inputs) & (p/n 271-1126 if you want 10k-Ohm Inputs) I decided on both.
  • 2 packs of 3.5mm mini jacks (p/n 274-249)
That totals to about $11. Not too shabby, eh? Don't forget to buy solder if you're out...or you can't find yours.

Basically, all you do is use the resistors as jumpers and tie all the contacts together. (See the back of the package for the pinout numbers on the jacks.) Connect all of the 'Pin 2' contacts together (aka the 'Tip', or left channel contact). Then connect all of the 'Pin 3' contacts together (aka the 'Ring', or right channel contact). Lastly, tie all of the ground pins together (without resistors) using a small piece of wire (that's the blue & white wire in my pic).

Make sense? Hopefully my pics will clarify things.

As for why I used 10k-Ohm resistors AND 4.7k-Ohm resistors. My GPS and Valentine One have VERY HOT output levels. The 10k-Ohm resistors do a better job at trimming these levels down a bit. For a music input, I would definitely use 4.7k-Ohm resistors.

So get those soldering guns out, and go nuts! Just don't burn yourself...like you did the last time.
Joe I made your little box and it works well with my Crappybox intercom. My question is, since a lot times I don't always use my intercom (outside interference), can I use a similar set up with a hard wire on one input (no resistor) and a 10k ohm resistor in the other, so I can connect my IPod and GPS together on the same ear buds? I tried it with the little box, but the volume on the IPod is too low. I do plan to switch intercoms, but haven't decided on Autocom, Starcom or Intraride. I just want music and GPS into my ear plugs.

Craig

2000 K1200LTC "Little Turd"
2001 Harley Softail Deuce "Ground Pounder"
BMWMOA #113448
post #9 of 10 Old Jul 10th, 2007, 12:19 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Craig,

Joe has taken a Sabatical from the forum.

You can try some different (lower) values to increase the volume level. But I would not go to straight wire as you want some isolation in your mixer. I deal would be to match the impeadance of the headphones. May also need to add a small amp like a Boosteroo or something similar (Joe had a post on that as well).

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #10 of 10 Old Jul 10th, 2007, 12:28 pm

So, I guess I should just save my dime and figure out which setup I want. I started with the Chatterbox, since I have 2 bikes it was portable. But I now find I would like the versatility of either CB or FRS or UHF as well as the occasional rider to passenger and want my IPod and GPS. Just need to price out the 3 systems, and do it!
Thanks

Craig

2000 K1200LTC "Little Turd"
2001 Harley Softail Deuce "Ground Pounder"
BMWMOA #113448

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in