CB advice - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Apr 14th, 2007, 12:51 pm Thread Starter

CB advice

I want to install a CB on my 05 LT. What do you recommend ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Apr 15th, 2007, 8:43 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton
I want to install a CB on my 05 LT. What do you recommend ?
You don't say whether or not you have the VOICE II com system? If not, many folkes have had good luck with the J&M integrated CB/intercom. I would not recommend the BMW CB that is supposedly designed to integrate with the VOICE II. It took me a year to get mine to work properally with absolutely no support from the dealer or BMW MOTORAD!

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old Apr 15th, 2007, 9:43 am Thread Starter

I do have voice II com. No GPS or CB. I just bought the bike and am the only owner of a BMW 1200 lt in Coos County OR. The nearest dealership 100 away and they are not very helpful. I fell into a group of Goldwing riders who think Im crazy for buying an LT but let me ride with them at the back of the pack with the HD rider. We are outcast. This is a fun group and I want to be able to pass insults back and forth with them as we do the twisties.

post #4 of 9 Old Apr 15th, 2007, 10:56 am

Recommendations are always difficult.

It is always difficult to make a recommendation for things like this since there are many variables involved. While Lynn had a bad experience with his installation I had little trouble with mine and it works well. You are usually on your own with these things and can probably not count on any help from a dealer.

I installed the BMW branded J&M unit on my '06 with the help of the many fine and experienced folks on this site. The installation is a bit of a challenge and requires removal of a lot of plastic, referred to here as "tupperware". Your comfort level with this could be an issue. The Voice II, however, is all set up for the addition of the CB so no difficult wiring is required although I did have to get a little creative with the sense line for the power relay.

The unit is also a bit costly by the time you add the antenna and the special lower headset cords required. I have close to $700 tied up in mine not counting the costly J&M headsets for myself and the SO.

Like you alluded to though, it is fun to trade insults and information with your riding buddies. The CB adds a level of fun not otherwise available and, to me, it's worth the cost.

There may be other solutions, but none that I could find was as well integrated into the LT's electronics. The only complaint I have is that the radio blocks my view of the left hand mirror a bit, see the attached picture. YMMV.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMWCB.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	11053  

Jim
'06LT - Magnesium Black Graphite (light black)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 Old Apr 15th, 2007, 12:11 pm Thread Starter

Thanks, If you are happy with the bmw product, then thats that I will do.
post #6 of 9 Old Apr 15th, 2007, 4:13 pm

If you decide to order be sure to get the latest version. According to my dealer it has been updated several times. Also, the recommended lower cords are necessary. I'm not sure how they are different, but the standard ones introduce some feedback whereas the correct ones don't. My dealer was not aware of this and had to re-order the correct part numbers which are given with the radio documentation.

Also, my Clymer's manual came in handy since very few instructions come with the radio. Curiously, the antenna instructions were much more thorough and explained how to disassemble the tail trunk. There are basically no instructions for installing the radio other than an overall schematic.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Jim

post #7 of 9 Old Apr 16th, 2007, 12:18 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I'm also in the process of making the same decision for my '07 LT. Also planning to go with the BMW unit as I understand it has the best range. Jim...may need to message you during the install process for emotional support. Thanks.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2017 KTM 350 EXC-F (single track monster)
2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun on the fire roads)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #8 of 9 Old Apr 16th, 2007, 6:05 pm

No sweat, glad to be of whatever assistance I can.

Jim

post #9 of 9 Old Apr 16th, 2007, 6:20 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Hey wilton
I'm in Eugene and often do a loop down I-5 over to coquille, Bandon for lunch the up the coast to Reedsport or Florence and home in time to make supper for the li'l woman...

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in