CB Radio Antenna mount mount - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Apr 6th, 2007, 5:17 pm Thread Starter

CB Radio Antenna mount mount

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

06 K1200GT
I've added a J+M CB radio unit to the bike recently; which i've had on several other bikes. Because of the lack of the bikes ground potential, I had to purchase a firestik NGP(no ground potential) antenna for low SWR's, and mount it w/ a Givi box attached. I've previously had the antenna sitting on a fabricated bracket off the licence plate, and worked OK ,but I now have to extent it to accomadate the Givi box's width. I could extend it, but I'de like to see what others have done. I'm not sure how important the antenna's height is, but I think it should be higher than the shield.
Howie...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Apr 6th, 2007, 9:16 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Many folks have purchased the BMW CB antenna mount... and installed it with much success...

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 Old Apr 6th, 2007, 11:22 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for reply; I've looked at the BMW site, and cant find a pic of this CB mount. It'll have to mount on a 06 GT. Where can i see it? I have to see if it'll work w/ a top box.
Thanks;
Howie...

post #4 of 13 Old Apr 7th, 2007, 1:19 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Channing is assuming that you have an LT, so he's talking about the LT CB mount. Won't work on your GT.

Since I've only had my GT a week or so, I haven't yet pulled the entire thing apart (thought about it though ). I'd say start looking for factory bolts around the rear rack and see if you can fabricate your own bracket.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #5 of 13 Old Apr 7th, 2007, 9:28 am
Lifetime Supporter

Thanks for correction... wrong bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Channing is assuming that you have an LT, so he's talking about the LT CB mount. Won't work on your GT.

Since I've only had my GT a week or so, I haven't yet pulled the entire thing apart (thought about it though ). I'd say start looking for factory bolts around the rear rack and see if you can fabricate your own bracket.
Thanks, Meese.. and sorry for the BAD info..

I don't know what the GT CB mount would be. I'm thinking it can be done.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #6 of 13 Old Apr 7th, 2007, 10:17 pm Thread Starter

Well; today I found the only way I could mount a antenna bracket to fit with the Givi box installed is to attach a 1"x1/4" aluminum bar across the two slide holes rear of the BMW top box rack. This is a rough attachement I did tonight for a test fit. I'll probally just trim the bolts and paint the bracket flat black. I used stainless hardware and 1/4" aluminum stock for the for the givi rack and the antenna mount. this mount only looks adaquate with all the luggage surrounding it; not so good w/o. Let me know what you think.
Howie...

http://s113.photobucket.com/albums/n...nt=Annrena.jpg

Last edited by HowardRichman; Apr 7th, 2007 at 10:41 pm.
post #7 of 13 Old Apr 8th, 2007, 12:17 am
IBR# 366

Garage
That should work OK, Howard. My other thought was making a bracket that fit off the passenger grab handle bolts on one side, though I haven't looked at it too closely yet to see if that's feasible.

Let us know how you like the J&M CB unit. I'm considering one myself.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #8 of 13 Old Apr 8th, 2007, 8:36 am

Thumbs up

I put a J&M in when I first got my LT. Great product. The only problem I had was the connection for the SO when we were on our 6000 mile trip last year. When we got to Florida her intercom stopped working. When we got home I called J&M and let them know, thought I would have to pay to get it fixed, to my suprise they said send it back and they will fix it. It was about 2 years old at the time. Great service.

Garry

Follow my South America ride at

IBAID 26718
BMWMOA 117552
2011 K1600GTL RECEIVED April 30th, 2011 @ 1:30 pm
2012 RED KLR650

post #9 of 13 Old Apr 8th, 2007, 9:14 pm

Here is some food for thought regarding antennas

http://www.firestik.com/Tech_Docs/atv-mc.htm

http://www.firestik.com/Tech_Docs/mc-duals.htm

Rusty Snyder
post #10 of 13 Old Apr 9th, 2007, 2:12 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Garry, you're talking about the J&M unit with the built-in CB that sits above the clutch lever, right? Not the ComSystem used on earlier LTs? Are you happy with the intercom function as well as the CB use? What other music/radar/gps audio sources are you using with it?

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #11 of 13 Old Apr 9th, 2007, 1:07 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardRichman
Well; today I found the only way I could mount a antenna bracket to fit with the Givi box installed is to attach a 1"x1/4" aluminum bar across the two slide holes rear of the BMW top box rack. This is a rough attachement I did tonight for a test fit. I'll probally just trim the bolts and paint the bracket flat black. I used stainless hardware and 1/4" aluminum stock for the for the givi rack and the antenna mount. this mount only looks adaquate with all the luggage surrounding it; not so good w/o. Let me know what you think.
Howie...

http://s113.photobucket.com/albums/n...nt=Annrena.jpg
Take a look at the other mount location! It's still in rough stage, but not sure if I'll keep it yet.

http://s113.photobucket.com/albums/n...nt=Anntena.jpg
post #12 of 13 Old Apr 9th, 2007, 1:45 pm

Ant Mounting

If there is any way, mount your antenna centered and as high as possible.
From that picture, you've greatly reduced your forward reception, which I think is very important. If you could move it up to at least the top or the sidebag you'll be much happier I would think.
post #13 of 13 Old Apr 9th, 2007, 4:23 pm
Lifetime Supporter

You have "proven" you can mount under the box... great idea =)

Now, if you were to stretch the center of the plate toward the rear, center for mounting and esthetics (sp?) while extending the plate the full length and width of the box, you would have a substantial ground plane...and good "front reflectivity".

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in