Autocomm V Baehr - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Apr 4th, 2007, 11:29 pm Thread Starter

Autocomm V Baehr

Greetings all.

I have a question for all your intercom savy riders. I currently can't decide between the Autocomm Super-Pro system or the Baehr Verso XL model for my LT.

Can anyone tell me when speaking with the Baehr Verso XL system if you can hear your own voice as I belive you can with the Autocomm system? I think Autocomm call that "side tone enabled". If the Baehr system has this ability, I'm tending then. more towards the Baehr system.

Kindest regards to all

Paul Harrington
AU

[email protected]

1999 K1200LT Champagne "Bismarck"
1983 base K100 "Bavarian Belle"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Apr 5th, 2007, 2:02 am

Baehr....

G'day Paul,

The Baehr does not have sidetone, although I'm not sure what the benefit of sidetone is in a bike intercom system.

I have owned both the Baehr and Autocomm (earlier model than the Super Pro) and prefer the Baehr. You won't be disappointed with it. Mine on the LT has all the bells and whistles including GPS, Uniden UHF radio, Ipod, bike sound system and bluetooth to the phone - works brilliantly.

I do some work for Tony J. in NZ and can supply all Baehr systems in AU if you're interested. Saves you the hassles of importing.

Daz

Never take life too seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway…..

Black (03) LT
Matching Uni-Go
Ulysses Member 30740

Growing Old Disgracefully.....
post #3 of 6 Old Apr 5th, 2007, 9:28 am

One thing to consider is with the Autocomm the passenger and hear & speak while using the telephone option and I understand with the Baehr system the passenger can only hear the conversation but cannot speak while you are using the phone option, also the Autocomm had the sidetone feature. And the cost of the systems was a factor in my decision. I have everything plugged into my system, phone, GMRS, radio, Ipod, GPS. That was some of the things that steered me to the Autocom system.

post #4 of 6 Old Apr 5th, 2007, 2:37 pm

I just ordered the Baehr system from Raffy (to replace my basic Baehr). I have had the auto-com. I would urge you to seriously consider the Baehr for the following:
1-The Baehr microphone system is far superior and positioning is not nearly as critical - with the Autocom I had to have the mic against my lips to activate it (a royal pain in the ---)
2-The Baehr speakers are great, and once again, precise positioning doesn't seem as critical.(as it is with the Auto-com).
I personally would not install another Autocom even if it was given to me.
Thats my never-to-be-humble opinion .
post #5 of 6 Old Apr 5th, 2007, 5:14 pm

I have not tried the Baehr but have heard good things about them on the board and elsewhere. If I had never heard of a Baehr, the fact that Raffy sells it would carry weight with me.

I installed my own Autocom and have had good luck with it. I had what I thought was an intercom problem (which turned out to be an onboard stereo problem) and the people at Autocom America (TopGear) were responsive and helpful.

When comparing price, consider what you want to do with the system eventually and include the cost of the extra cables, switches, adaptors, splitters, bailing wire and chewing gum you will need to integrate all your stuff. Some of the Autocom add-ons are a little pricey. On the other hand, Autocom will tell you that this avoids a "basic" user having to pay for things they don't need.

One feature of the Baehr that would be a "plus" is the barrel connector that (I am told) allows a "plug and play" power and music connection. Autocom is supposedly developing a similar connector but it was not available yet when I installed my kit.

I had to solder my "onboard stereo interface" to my rear speaker wires, connect the ground lead to my negative battery terminal, and connect the hot wire to a switched circuit (I did this in the fusebox as recommended in the instructions posted by Jim Beard). It wasn't really a huge project.

You could install an Autocom on an LT in about ten minutes using posi-tap connectors. I tried those for the first time recently when converting my front turn signals to running lights. They are the cats.
post #6 of 6 Old Apr 5th, 2007, 7:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcarter

One feature of the Baehr that would be a "plus" is the barrel connector that (I am told) allows a "plug and play" power and music connection. Autocom is supposedly developing a similar connector but it was not available yet when I installed my kit.
Here is the response I got just this week when asking about the long delayed 'connector':
The Part 1326 will not be sold on the market due to us no longer into
the parts. To wire the onboard radio up on your LT you can use our Part
1321 which will wire onto the rear speaker loom which the main plug is
found under the pillions seat. The Part 1321 will come with a full
fitting guide.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in