FRS/GMRS Kenwood TK-3131 Questions - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 3:50 pm Thread Starter

FRS/GMRS Kenwood TK-3131 Questions

Does the Kenwood TK-3131 fit in the K1200LT tank storage compartment? If not (or it is not practical) how long is the BMW FRS connector (p/n 65 41 2 337 298)?

I really don't want to buy this radio unless I have to but after reviewing other threads here on this topic it appears the Voice II inputs are configured for the Kenwood radios, not Midland or Motorolas (of which I have a pair of each).

Thanks

Jim S.
'07 SturmGrau K1200LT

“Not all those who wander are lost.”

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 5:43 pm
Rider Journeyman

I use the TK-3131 with the BC3 comm system. The unit will fit in the oddments box, but I would recommend against putting it there.

The cable is long enough that I put inter-lok velcro on the left side of the stinger where it is flat and the mate on the belt clip on the unit. I can change channels and adjust volume easily in that position. The unit is fairly waterproof and I've had it in many heavy storms with no ill effect.

Bill "Omaha"

"Life may have begun at 44, but it didn't get thrilling until I shot past 100"

'04 K1200LT "Dieter" Titan Silver, FB 4/23/04
'06 K1200R "Wolfgang" White Aluminum Metallic, FB 6/7/05

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
RCB AMA, BMWMOA, Booze Brother "in training"
CCR: '04 Breckenridge CO, '05 Jackson Lake Lodge WY, '06 Chateau Elan GA, '08 Midway UT

post #3 of 12 Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 6:49 pm
Old Dawg

I put mine in my tank bag

Scott
Sacramento CA
HDDC Posse

''03 Ducati ST4S with ABS - '12 KTM 500EXC - '19 BMW GS/A
(Jessica Focker's) '15 BMW S1000RR - '17 KTM 350EXC-F - '09 Yamaha XT250

Some of the most asinine things people do are typically preceded by the two words "Watch this."

post #4 of 12 Old Apr 4th, 2007, 11:45 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydawg
I was thinking about stuffing it under the seat. Anybody have any needs to change channels often on the bike?
post #5 of 12 Old Apr 4th, 2007, 12:41 pm
Rider Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdfan
I was thinking about stuffing it under the seat. Anybody have any needs to change channels often on the bike?
I suppose you could put it there.....

Although I have found that adjusting the volume of the unit is handy, especially when one of those ICOM units is transmitting close by. Also we will frequently run a channel and sub-channel with our group. When you come across another m/c they may be on the right channel, but not using, or able to use, the sub-channel.

When getting off the bike for the night, it's easy to grab it from its spot on the stinger, or if it were in a tank bag, to take inside for recharging the battery.

Bill "Omaha"

"Life may have begun at 44, but it didn't get thrilling until I shot past 100"

'04 K1200LT "Dieter" Titan Silver, FB 4/23/04
'06 K1200R "Wolfgang" White Aluminum Metallic, FB 6/7/05

RCB AMA, BMWMOA, Booze Brother "in training"
CCR: '04 Breckenridge CO, '05 Jackson Lake Lodge WY, '06 Chateau Elan GA, '08 Midway UT

post #6 of 12 Old Apr 4th, 2007, 5:35 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyOmaha

Although I have found that adjusting the volume of the unit is handy, especially when one of those ICOM units is transmitting close by. Also we will frequently run a channel and sub-channel with our group. When you come across another m/c they may be on the right channel, but not using, or able to use, the sub-channel.

When getting off the bike for the night, it's easy to grab it from its spot on the stinger, or if it were in a tank bag, to take inside for recharging the battery.

I agree with Bill. I'd like to be able to grab the unit. Having the ability to turn it on or adjust the volume, I think is essential. With my previous bike, after leaving a gas stop, I sometimes would have to adjust the GMRS radio to coordinate it with my GPS. I put a visual mark on the volume control of the GMRS for a quick rough in of volume but it helped to be able to tweak it.

Again thanks to all of the comments to this thread.

Jim S.
'07 SturmGrau K1200LT

post #7 of 12 Old Apr 4th, 2007, 6:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyOmaha

I think (think is the optimal word here) I can adjust the vol through the 2820, however I do have a sub channel question. Does anyone know how or if I can get a subchannel on an Kenwood XL. I see the GMRS 15 stations but... Any help would be great.

Also how are you, if you are, attaching the autocom pin connector into the tank bag?

Thanks
post #8 of 12 Old Apr 4th, 2007, 7:41 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Does anyone know how or if I can get a subchannel on an Kenwood XL. I see the GMRS 15 stations but... Any help would be great.

Thanks
Here's a link to a site that has the Kenwood manual for the TK-3131. Scroll down the page to the Kenwood section and you can download it.

http://www.pactronics.com/spec-page.html

Hope this helps.

Jim S.
'07 SturmGrau K1200LT

post #9 of 12 Old Apr 4th, 2007, 11:57 pm

wow I won't be doin' that on the fly.
post #10 of 12 Old Apr 5th, 2007, 3:58 am

Quote:
Not to change subjects on the Kenwood, but when I went from the Midland to the Cobra cb, I had to put the Cobra in the left saddle bag due to its size. The dis-advantages are:
Have to reset the channel after it is powered down for over two hours, cannot adjust volume or channels while riding. Although I rarely use the cb, I am looking to mount it on the left handle bar.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT - Sold December 2019
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

post #11 of 12 Old Apr 12th, 2007, 3:12 pm

Wire path

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydawg
How do you get the wires out of the oddments box to the tank bag without crushing them (same question for cell phone)?

Duane
Mag Black 2006 LT

Three loves - motorcycles, good wine, and contrabassoon...none of which mix. Engineer by day to pay for them all.
post #12 of 12 Old Apr 12th, 2007, 4:19 pm
Old Dawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane_in_Florida
How do you get the wires out of the oddments box to the tank bag without crushing them (same question for cell phone)?
Just leave the oddments box door open against the wires. I have done it for 4 years that way with my cell phone, mp3 and walkie-talkie wires and never had a problem. The only time I ever tuck everything in and close it fully is when it's raining.

Scott
Sacramento CA
HDDC Posse

''03 Ducati ST4S with ABS - '12 KTM 500EXC - '19 BMW GS/A
(Jessica Focker's) '15 BMW S1000RR - '17 KTM 350EXC-F - '09 Yamaha XT250

Some of the most asinine things people do are typically preceded by the two words "Watch this."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in