At the end of my Autocom rope - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Mar 30th, 2007, 10:41 pm Thread Starter

At the end of my Autocom rope

I have read this forum for hours now and done more than a few searches trying to find a way to adapt my 6 pin BMW com system to my 7 pin autocom headsets. I have gone to the dealer and all they have is the ability to sell me two new BMW headsets for $450, plus two additional helmets. I called Autocom this morning and all they can do for me is to sell me a new Autocom system for $400, plus disconbooberating my bike's com system and splicing into the speaker wires, etc., etc., etc. Everyone with a vested interest in me buying their product tells me that you can't adapt the two systems. Autocom tells me that I can't do it because the quality of their headsets is so high that it is nigh on to blasphemy to marry the two.

So can anyone tell me how to make the appropriate adapters or if it truly is impossible? I would be especially grateful for the pin schematics for each.

I guess I should also tell you that my bike is an '00 LT with the BMW Com System. I don't know if it's a Com 1 or what, but it does have the intercom volume and VOX sensitivity knobs. On the left side is a pushbutton that selects helmet speakers/bike speakers, two audio input jacks, one for the phone and the other for aux music (MP3, iPod, etc.), the CB plug in the center, and finally a toggle switch on the right side for CB/FRS selection.

Any, and all help is greatly appreciated. I am going to ride to Denver in a couple of weeks and would like to take the LT. But if I don't get the intercom system up and running, I'll be forced to take the RT with the operational Autocom setup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Mar 30th, 2007, 11:46 pm

why not just get a new comm. system for the lt ?
post #3 of 14 Old Mar 31st, 2007, 6:28 am

I had the old 6 pin on my 00 LT. The new Autocomm's sound is many times better. Look at it as upgrading from 6v to 12v.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 Old Mar 31st, 2007, 10:08 am

I would look for a used Autocom. Post a 'Want To Buy' ad in our classifieds forum, and also over at http://www.ibmwr.org/market/ . I have had much success with these two avenues. Food for thought...
post #5 of 14 Old Mar 31st, 2007, 12:31 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I have Autocom units on my LT and on my HD. Both are great.

You can buy them direct from Autocom, and you can find several dealers selling them on eBay for 10-20% off list. I shopped with BendEuro and had great service from them. A friend of mine just bought a system from Kauhuna Cycle, also on eBay, and was very pleased with their service.

We may also have one or more supporting vendors here on the site that sell Autocom. If we do, you might want to see if they can assist.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #6 of 14 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 10:45 pm

Autocom simple question

Here's a simple question for you guys. I just bought an 08 LT(new). Does it already have an Autocom on it? Do I need one? I will be needing to buy a helmet specifically for riding the LT but just haven't yet. While trying to familiarize myself with all the BMW terminology I'm still figuring out what I need to go high tech with GPS, Radar, iPod, etc. With my Harley, it's just jump on and ride.
post #7 of 14 Old Jul 16th, 2008, 3:05 pm

Re: At the end of my Autocom rope

I got irritated enough at Autocom prices that I just ponied up for a new, digital Starcom system. The folks at www.bikeeffects.com are very pleasant to deal with. Better prices than buying from Starcom too.

Like you, I was in need of a new item, mine was a (1) coiled lead. They wanted 50.00 for it. Mine was an older system (Pro M1) and the new systems coiled lead was 30.00. Now, when I called them they said they "didn't sell a lot of the older leads, that's why they cost more". -I'm not Sh!!!ing you....

Needless to say, I said goodbye to Autocom. Someday, when they get their head out of their arse, I might reconsider but for now, I'd rather spend the extra money for a totaly new system than pay them 50.00 for one stupid coiled lead. BTW, I think Autocom speakers are crap.

Autocom used to be the only choice if you wanted a comm system but not anymore. I expect the bluetooth technology to get better as time permits and soon, we'll all enjoy complete wireless comm for everything.
post #8 of 14 Old Jul 16th, 2008, 3:15 pm

Re: Autocom simple question

Your LT was not factory equipped with an Autocom system. Thats something you'll have to add. BMW has used a lot of J&M products on their LTs. You don't need a special helmet but I think most riders here would tell you to stick with name brands and go with a full face. If you're just getting into this you might take a look at www.webbikeworld.com This site has good, honest reviews of tons of products. While you're searching for comm systems, don't overlook Starcom.

One helmet that they like is a Vega Summit II. It's a modular/flip front type. Very convenient if you wear glasses or need to yap at gas stations, etc...You can find them for about 130.00. It's not top of the line like HJC, Shoei, Arai, Shark.....but the price/quality is decent.

All the other doodads you talked about are nice but not an absolute. If you just gotta have a GPS, take a look at the Garmin 2820 or Zumo models. They will provide all the funtions you would ever need in one device. Voice prompted directions, XM radio, weather, MP3 and traffic.

Technology GOOD !!

Last edited by Brian-NC; Jul 16th, 2008 at 3:23 pm.
post #9 of 14 Old Jul 16th, 2008, 4:15 pm

If you do decide to go with J&M and upgrade your system, I've just purchased a new set of Nolan N-Com helmets for my wife and self with the built in J&M headsets and mics. They are good to deal with and the sound and interface with my Goldwing intercom are excellent. Don't see why it wouldn't be just as good with your LT. I'd bet that J&M have a connecting coil from their headsets/mics that will fit your LT intercom system since they advertise that they have inter-connectivity to ALL factory intercom systems built in the past or the forseeable future.
post #10 of 14 Old Jul 16th, 2008, 8:43 pm

Thanks Brian. I'll check that site out. Looks like I need to buy yet another gadget. Oh well if you're going to do it, do it right. Right after I bought my LT I quickly reviewed and bought a Zumo 550. It has sat in the box for about a month now since after reading more and more....and more.....the extra things I'll be needing. I hope to only take things apart once. But I have a funny feeling I'll be taking it apart after that making improvements until it's perfect.

Kent
post #11 of 14 Old Jul 17th, 2008, 12:43 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushin9s
I have read this forum for hours now and done more than a few searches trying to find a way to adapt my 6 pin BMW com system to my 7 pin autocom headsets. I have gone to the dealer and all they have is the ability to sell me two new BMW headsets for $450, plus two additional helmets. I called Autocom this morning and all they can do for me is to sell me a new Autocom system for $400, plus disconbooberating my bike's com system and splicing into the speaker wires, etc., etc., etc. Everyone with a vested interest in me buying their product tells me that you can't adapt the two systems. Autocom tells me that I can't do it because the quality of their headsets is so high that it is nigh on to blasphemy to marry the two.
It can't be that hard to adapt them. The pinouts should be pretty easy to work out with just a voltmeter, it takes almost no effort to get to the solder pads on the autocom speakers. I think the extra pin on the autocom connector might only be used for the high end noise cancellation mic. I found this thread on k-bikes that seems to have a decent description of the pins.

The autocom cables are very nice, and the microphone is good, but the speakers really aren't. I just replaced them with speakers from some Koss headphones and I'm very very pleased with the result.

I don't know anything about the BMW com system, sorry.
post #12 of 14 Old Jul 17th, 2008, 7:32 am

A lot of riders like to add several gadgets to their beloved bikes. One device that I find an absolute waist of money is a radar detector. Now, I know that I'll be bombarded with insults but it's JMO. I won't blab endlessly on this thread because there's plenty of that elsewhere on this site but, I'll tell you just a little about radar. Then you can look for more info and make your decision.

Radar travels the speed of light, 186K miles per second. Most, if not all modern police radar devices have instant on and off features or stand by. If you're low flying down the road with your radar detector set to even it's highest sensitivity, you won't pick up any signal because Sgt. speedcatcher is sitting over there in the bushes with his device in standby. When he sees you, he'll transmit and receive your speed instantly.

After that, he or she may have time to put down his powdered doughnut and dust the powdered sugar off his sleeve before your radar detector goes off. Then, a short time later, you'll be on the side of the road holding a pink copy.

I'm just trying to save you a little money to use on more important stuff. Hey, they also use VASCAR for which there is no detection, other than white lines in the road about 1/8th of a mile apart.

Lots of LEOs on this site will give you tons of advice but it all boils down to sensible riding. 9 or 10 over the limit usually won't even get you a glance by most officers, (unless you're 9 or 10 over in a school zone). They're looking for the higher speeds.
post #13 of 14 Old Jul 17th, 2008, 12:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-NC
A lot of riders like to add several gadgets to their beloved bikes. One device that I find an absolute waste of money is a radar detector.
Gadgets - that's me. I don't think there's a farkle I haven't at least considered, and I've certainly bought more than a few. ...Latest is the SPOT satellite tracker thing. See, my wife got all worried and freaked herself out because I didn't check in for 5 hours on a ride through northern CA due to lack of cell coverage. Problem solved. (Well, band-aid applied anyway.) :-)

And I agree with you on the radar detector. I've used them on and off over the years and never once has one saved me from getting a ticket. It's just one more thing to mess with.

Unless you live in an area where the local enforcement routinely drives around with their radar on, I don't think a detector is going to help much. Here in CA radar use is pretty sporadic, I see city cops with it sometimes but I've never seen a CHP with radar or laser. And if it's instant on lighting up the guy in front of you -- well, if you're like me then you're probably not going much faster than the guy in front of you anyway, unless you're passing.

That said, if I could find a discreet detector that I could totally hide within the bike fairing, power from the bike, and alert me through my autocom, I'd probably buy it. ...just because it'd be such a cool gadget.
post #14 of 14 Old Jul 17th, 2008, 3:54 pm

Absolutely!

I agree, it would be a way cool gadget/farkle and just as useless as before. But, you would increase your cool points substantially..or if nothing else, your CDI factor.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in