Autocom USA a scam - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Mar 28th, 2007, 4:12 pm Thread Starter

Exclamation Autocom USA a scam

I am having a major distributor breakdown in the US. I have been unable to get my emails answered in the US from Top Gear since last Thursday.
On Wednesday I sent a question about the Easi-7 Advanced rider to Autocom. The following day I was contacted by Dan Bingham about the unit saying it wasn’t available. I responded by asking him who is Top Gear and why is the item in my cart if not available. I even requested help in making sure the configuration I was requesting works. He nor anyone ever responded to any of the mail I sent requesting configuration help.
Because of the web interface I would have though Top Gear to be a real company rather than some guy who may be working out of his home so I ordered the equipment 2nd day Air. It did arrive on time and packaged poorly. Today I called service and support trying to get a working and proper configuration and after well over 1 hour on the phone I was still not able to get the gear to work properly. I even wanted to buy $69 worth of gear to see if that might fix the problem. I asked for free ground shipping for all my time and trouble.I would guess and actual cost of $5 or less. He said we never give free shipping we would go out of business if we did. I asked if he would rather loose a $300 sale over $5 and they said yes. After not being able to reason with them about the matter I requested an RA number so I can return everything. But after numerous calls have been unable to get an RMA even though "Issac" keeps promising to send one via email.
I have called my Credit card Company, Wells Fargo to cancel the transaction.
They called Top Gear and were able to obtain an RA number and my local branch is going to document the condition of the equipment at shipping.
Warning! Warning! Warning! Warning! Warning! Warning!
If you dig around on the website you find the following information.
Additional Note
No TopGear employee or agent has the authority to vary any of TopGear’s policies or procedures on the terms and conditions governing any sale.
Restocking Fee
Restocking fees are based on the condition of the product(s) and will be at the sole discretion of TopGear.
Other Return Information
Only items that meet our standard returns guidelines and are new and unopened are eligible to receive a full refund. Items that do not meet our returns guidelines will not be accepted or will receive partial credit
based upon their value in the resale market at TopGear’s discretion.
Partial refunds for product that is re-saleable may range a minimum of 10% to 50% based upon their condition. We reserve the right to return products that do not meet our return requirements on which freight charges will be due.
Wells Fargo is investigating it these policies violate the Visa and MasterCard agreement. And will forward their finding to the proper officials to have Top gears account suspended.
I have documented the whole procedure and will be filing complaints with the better business bureau in all local communities plus the respected Texas and New York State Attorney generals Fraud offices. Top Gear has misrepresented them selves on every level. They would prefer to loose an entire sale than try to make the repeated sales failures right So as with all things buyer beware even when you think your buying from a reputable company.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Mar 28th, 2007, 4:28 pm

...Because of the web interface I would have though Top Gear to be a real company rather than some guy who may be working out of his home ...

Remember, on the internet nobody knows you are dog. Slick web interfaces are a dime a dozen. So, just cause the site looks professional does not mean the company is.
post #3 of 16 Old Mar 28th, 2007, 5:13 pm

Other than a 'less than helpful' tech I talked with yesterday about a transmit problem with my Kenwood FRS/GMRS radio, I have never had any problem dealing with them at all. They have swapped bad cables at no charge and have been generally very easy to work with.

Sorry you had the problem.

BTW, I have noticed that a completed profile will generally help you get responses from the folks that really know what is going on.

Lee Nowell
Black 01, LTC
BMWRA & MOA, AMA, IBA

post #4 of 16 Old Mar 28th, 2007, 5:18 pm

They are legit and were a vendor at CCR last year. They've always been straight up with me.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 16 Old Mar 28th, 2007, 5:32 pm

Is it me or most of the times someone crash down here burning a vendor, this some one is a new guy with an incomplete profile?

I called Top Gear couple times in the past, never bought from them for other issues then Customer Service... But who knows... maybe they are bad. Or maybe not!.

--------------------------------
Elton 'StrsOut' Marks '02 Silver-Member #337 (or 287?)

2002 LT - 62,394 miles as of 08/05/2007
2003 GS - 20,960 miles as of 07/11/2008
Loma Linda - CA
IBA#14,458 - AMA

post #6 of 16 Old Mar 28th, 2007, 5:37 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by strsout
Is it me or most of the times someone crash down here burning a vendor, this some one is a new guy with an incomplete profile?

I called Top Gear couple times in the past, never bought from them for other issues then Customer Service... But who knows... maybe they are bad. Or maybe not!.
Your right people are motivated to do things when there is a problem. I haven't posted here in forever but I have been a member for a couple of years
post #7 of 16 Old Mar 28th, 2007, 6:30 pm
Lifetime Supporter

So, Phillip, please fill in your profile.... thanks!

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #8 of 16 Old Mar 28th, 2007, 6:46 pm

I had nothing but good luck with Top Gear. I upgraded my pro 3000 to the pro M7. In fact he gave me a discount on the pro M7 (since I had the 3000).

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT - Sold December 2019
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

post #9 of 16 Old Mar 28th, 2007, 7:51 pm

TopGear is a real company. I had a problem with my AutoCom. I damaged a cable head and I had a defective patch cable. I was in Albany NY, pretty near where they are located on business, so I called them and then stopped by their business location and they took care of me. They sold me the part I needed and told me how to take apart the unit and replace it. They gave me a new cable to replace mine after they took it into their shop and tested it.

They are not in a high rise or a fancy place but one side of a single story factory type business in semi residential area. There were four or five people working there and they took care of me in a very business like way.

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #10 of 16 Old Mar 28th, 2007, 8:20 pm Thread Starter

your lucky you live close by

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackd
TopGear is a real company. I had a problem with my AutoCom. I damaged a cable head and I had a defective patch cable. I was in Albany NY, pretty near where they are located on business, so I called them and then stopped by their business location and they took care of me. They sold me the part I needed and told me how to take apart the unit and replace it. They gave me a new cable to replace mine after they took it into their shop and tested it.

They are not in a high rise or a fancy place but one side of a single story factory type business in semi residential area. There were four or five people working there and they took care of me in a very business like way.
I could not even get them to listen to my problem, issue me a non defective unit not provide free ground shipping on a replacement headset even when I was spending $70 more dollars with them.
So I guess it's internet users beware!
post #11 of 16 Old Mar 28th, 2007, 9:28 pm

Most of my Autocom set up was purchased through TopGear.
NEVER had any problems, they always answered my questions.

I will shop with them again, unless they have been replaced with pod people or something.
post #12 of 16 Old Mar 28th, 2007, 10:44 pm Thread Starter

Just to clairify

If you were being ripped off for $300 you would be upset. First; 3 emails went unanswered for days. Per Top gears web Page states I have 14 days from time of order not delivery to resolve all problems. So that prompted me to call and spend 74 minutes on the phone trying to get the equipment failure resolved. After that avenue failed I asked for an RMA for the extra extension I didn't need. After numerous requests to return a $19 part to a $300 system that didn't function correctly, I asked for an RMA number to return everything. Again after numerous promises by Issac that did not happen.
As my next defense I called my credit Card, Wells Fargo. They told him to issue and RMA number or they would reverse the charges right then. The RMA address is totally different from the shipping one and they are only on invoice number 3600 (ish) but the RMA number is 6 digits.
Top Gear would not tell Wells Fargo what the "restock fee" would be because the policy is “Restocking fees are based on the condition of the product(s) and will be at the sole discretion of TopGear." and "Partial refunds for product that is re-saleable may range a minimum of 10% to 50% based upon their condition. We reserve the right to return products that do not meet our return requirements on which freight charges will be due."
The equipment is in pristine condition and has never been installed or altered. WF's, rep Dana was appalled by how Top Gear handled this and she even tried to create a resolution. Wells Fargo is having me bring the package to my local branch so they can inspect it's condition for the RMA since they could not get a straight answer from Issac. They also assured me WF would cover the shipping fees under Visa's buyer protection program. Several people have written me offline to share similar experiences and alternative products.
post #13 of 16 Old Mar 28th, 2007, 11:03 pm

Sorry you are having problems

I have dealt with them several times over the 4 years I have had their equipment on my LT, last year they even made up special length cables for me. I was always happy with them and they shipped their products to me very fast. More then that I don't know what to say, except you can only judge people/companys as to how they treat you.

Good luck, Gene

Gene Sweeney

post #14 of 16 Old Mar 29th, 2007, 12:33 am
Lifetime Supporter

I have nothing but praise for Autocom products. Top Gear is the USA distributor for them, and has taken care of my support needs. They have given me a full refund on returned products, and they have gone above and beyond on more than one occasion. When they have made a mistake, they made things right. They are a small company, and sometimes may move slower than one might wish.

I am picking up several cues from your posting that strike me as odd, as others have stated already, but perhaps there's nothing to it. Dunno.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #15 of 16 Old Mar 29th, 2007, 1:44 pm

Phil's Posting

Sir,

You seem to have posted this same complaint on a number of boards. The inference is that Autocom and its distributor Top Gear should be avoided by all the readers of the boards you posted the complaint with. I would suggest that many of the people reading the boards you posted to have had a satisfactory experience with Autocom and Top gear. After reading your posts, this appears to be a problem best left to you and Top Gear. Your post inspired me to order an Autocom this morning.

Mirage
post #16 of 16 Old Mar 29th, 2007, 11:21 pm

I have purchased several units from them along with cables and headsets. Never once was I treated as you say you were. I think them to be very competent and fair. Sorry you had trouble.

O. K. Upchurch III
Irvine, California

2016 R1200gs
2000 K1200LT (Best Bike #1)
1997 R1100RT (Best Bike #2)
1995 K1100LT
1990 K75RT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in