BMW CB and CQ HID Lights Creating noise? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Mar 25th, 2007, 2:46 am Thread Starter

Unhappy BMW CB and CQ HID Lights Creating noise?

I installed the BMW badged J&M CB and with the key on (accessory) I could run the squelch at medium with no noise on the CB. As soon as I turn the key to IGN (still not running but lights on) the noise jumps way up and squelch needs to be at 90 - 95% to kill the noise. By using a coax wire as a sniffer it seems the noise is coming from the ballast for the HID lighting. Has anybody experienced this with HID lighting? If so are there any suggestions on how to best resolve this? I am assuming that it is RF noise based on the test but i am not sure if there is some EMI noise coming through as well. Thanks in advance for your help.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-Bob

'05 Ocean Blue LT
04 Victory (Traded)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Mar 26th, 2007, 10:56 am Thread Starter

no one else

Does anyone else have both the CB and HID? Are you havng this problem or did you have it? I am hoping someone can help with an idea to try. I wil get a chance to revisit Wednesay and am hoping that someone will have an idea to shield this or if an inline transformer will help. Any suggestions?
Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-Bob

'05 Ocean Blue LT
04 Victory (Traded)
post #3 of 9 Old Mar 26th, 2007, 1:51 pm
Rider Journeyman

Howdy Bob,

I have HID's low and high along with the J&M (BMW) CB on the LT. The HID's are from HID-online and I believe they are a bit better shielded than the CQ...though I don't have any specs to back that up.

I was talking with a "double-E" about interference on my GS instrument cluster from the CQ HID's and he suggested that shielding the ballast would probably help.

Good luck with this and let us know if you find a solution.

Bill "Omaha"

"Life may have begun at 44, but it didn't get thrilling until I shot past 100"

'04 K1200LT "Dieter" Titan Silver, FB 4/23/04
'06 K1200R "Wolfgang" White Aluminum Metallic, FB 6/7/05

RCB AMA, BMWMOA, Booze Brother "in training"
CCR: '04 Breckenridge CO, '05 Jackson Lake Lodge WY, '06 Chateau Elan GA, '08 Midway UT

post #4 of 9 Old Mar 26th, 2007, 7:30 pm

I have the CG ballast running my high beam but I don't remember hearing any noise in the Midland CB. My Midland is the BMW type but not the one sold by BMW. My CB powers on with the key and it goes to channel 9 by default so that is where it normally sits unless I change it. I probably only had the highs on for less than an hour of cumulative time last fall after I installed the HID highs.
  • Did you install the CB yourself?
  • Where is your ballast?
My ballast is near the right hand mirror pretty much away from everything.

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #5 of 9 Old Mar 26th, 2007, 11:10 pm Thread Starter

Hi Jack,
I installed the CB myself. I ran rg11 for the double shielding and the larger conductor to hopefully help with interference. The Ballast is dead center over the light. The antenna wire starts immediatly from the connector heading back under the sting ray to a connector under the seat. I was hoping that someone had already run into this and my plan is unless I hear otherwise (from someone with more technical skill in RF)to try and build a crude shield of several wraps of aluminum and ground that directly to see if it will cut down or eliminate the noise.
The CB patch cord (5' that came with the radio) showed continuity between the center and ground which was the first problem I had to resolve.

I originally tried "Clean power" from an external battery but had the same result when I turned the ignition key on. I shoulod probably try that again to see if the result is the same now that the new wire is in.

I appreciate all the input that comes this way as it all helps in the diagnosis.

Thanks
-Bob

-Bob

'05 Ocean Blue LT
04 Victory (Traded)
post #6 of 9 Old Mar 26th, 2007, 11:14 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Billy,
I will definitely post as soon as I find a cure or even if I can make a marked improvement in the problem.

-Bob

'05 Ocean Blue LT
04 Victory (Traded)
post #7 of 9 Old Mar 27th, 2007, 10:41 pm

There is supposed to be an additional ground on the antenna. Did you put it on?

2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #8 of 9 Old Mar 28th, 2007, 8:19 am Thread Starter

Yes, there was a ground wire on the pigtail (or extension) antenna cable that is supposed to attach to the back of the am/fm radio on the bike. I have that and i also added two ground wires from tha antenna mount to the frame as suggested in the instructions that came with the radio. I just got back in town last night and hope to get to it agian this afternoon.

-Bob

'05 Ocean Blue LT
04 Victory (Traded)
post #9 of 9 Old Mar 28th, 2007, 2:55 pm

I don't remember the AM/FM radio ground. But I do remember the two (?) connections to the frame. Been a while since I did this.

2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in