CB to Autocom ? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Mar 14th, 2007, 9:42 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

CB to Autocom ?

Has anyone been successful connecting a CB to an Autocom system ?
Bike powered or battery ?
Squeel while listening or only when transmitting ?
I'm about to take the leap just to monitor CH 19 for roadf conditions...........

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Mar 14th, 2007, 11:09 am

Hello Allen,
I have a hand held cobra 38wxt into my autocom pro M1. It works ok but it seems to have a limited area.
I do not have the radio powered from the bike per suggestion from auto com. It was a very easy install with the proper cables and PTT switch.
I do not use a cb very often but like the ability to access it if I want to.

I have not tried this yet but I see no reason why a FRS or similar radio would not just plug into the system.

Good luck with your project. Denny
post #3 of 10 Old Mar 14th, 2007, 1:41 pm

Successful, hardly. I had the Midland cb on my 2000LT and switched to the Cobra. The Midland produced a loud noise while transmitting. At first the Cobra worked great, but then started producing the noise. I have been delaying this but I hope to mount the cb with a ram mount and use the cb's stock antenna. The cb is currently sitting in the left saddle bag. I can turn it on, set the channel, and that is about it. I am sure that the antenna is what is causing the loud noise while trying to transmit. ALso, I have the Autocom and have installed the bmw ptt switch. I just spliced the bmw switch into the autocom wiring harness. This has worked great.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT - Sold December 2019
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 Old Mar 14th, 2007, 1:57 pm

I have the AutoCom Pro 1 / Cobra radio on my bike, but I have it set up to only listen. Tried battery power and bike power - noise was awful. Tried BMW C/B antenna and supplied short Cobra antenna - very little difference - both were weak and noisy (as in awful) transmitting. Since most of the guys I ride with in this area use the FRS/GMRS systems, I use that as my main communication system. My system is set up to allow full FRS/GMRS use while monitoring C19 when I need to. I use the BMW C/B antenna because I get a better receiving range. Hope this helps.

Lee Nowell
Black 01, LTC
BMWRA & MOA, AMA, IBA
post #5 of 10 Old Mar 14th, 2007, 2:14 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

This has been a big help.
Am I understanding that "noise" is only a problem when transmitting ?
I plan to use mine to monitor c19 for road conditions only...so if the above is true, I'm good to go.
Sounds like I can bike power and tie-in to Autocom with an audio lead only with no problem..and monitor when my on board radio is off, then disconnect and use the hand held unit alone if I have to make a call................
Did I get that right ?

IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

post #6 of 10 Old Mar 14th, 2007, 2:28 pm

Nope. Noise is a problem all the time. The LT is a very noisy (electrical) bike. It is ( at least my bike ) noisy for the receiving radio and I got a bunch of comments about the transmission noises. I read all the post on the site I could find and purchased at least three filters and still got a lot of noise. I have a whine ( weak ) all the time from the C/B if I have it on but I can live with it. The squelch control takes care of the rest of the noise but limits the range you can receive. All in all the C/B has a very limited value to me - but every now and then - it can get you that one little piece of information that can help you out. The truckers drive me nuts with their talk or better yet their 15 zillion kilowatt boosters so I am very selective on when I turn that little knob on.

Lee Nowell
Black 01, LTC
BMWRA & MOA, AMA, IBA
post #7 of 10 Old Mar 14th, 2007, 3:32 pm

You will have a slight "buzzing" noise while in the receiving mode. This is bearable compared to the loud squealing noise while trying to transmit. Also, I do not know if others can hear the squealing noise while transmitting, but if they do, they (truckers) will be pissed!

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT - Sold December 2019
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

post #8 of 10 Old Mar 15th, 2007, 8:33 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Mike, Lee, Denny
Thanx for the input.......
Sounding like I'd be spending bucks for a PITA
Better save 'em for something I really can use (like a beer holder 8<)
Thanx

IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

post #9 of 10 Old Mar 15th, 2007, 5:46 pm

I installed a Midland, which is the same as the BMW and used the BMW kits for install. The CB itself is good and was cheaper than the antenna. I use it 'listen only' on Channel 19 and it works for me. I can't use it for transmit as it squeals.

I made my AutoCom setup use a FRS/GMRS also. I am able to use both at the same time. I use a Cobra FRS/GMRS that is rechargeable battery operated and it works transmit and receive, voice activated, off the AutoCom.

Basically I have a junction box (audio mixer) under my seat that everything that I want to 'hear' in AutoCom headset plugs into that and that connects to the AutoCom. I have the AutoCom CB connector that I can switch between the CB and FRS and an additional connection that I would plug into the speaker out of either the FRS or CB. The CB squeals on transmit so I don't use it and generally only use the AutoCom CB connection with the FRS. Just using the speaker output jack on the CB allows me to have the CB monitor on channel 19 or any channel I need to monitor while on a group ride. I do not hear any bike 'noise' with mine with receive connected. I do not ride with the CB connected to the CB port on the AutoCom.

Sounds lake an ideal setup but the problem with my Cobra FRS/GMRS is that some brands are not compatible with other brands.. some of the FRS frequencies work though, I just have to fiddle to get the right frequency. I do not use the FRS very much so it wasn't worth a high dollar investment.. the Cobra FRS/GMRS at WallyWorld cost me less than $30.. and I spent a few bucks on making my own cables..

I really would like the CB to transmit and I hope some day to fiddle with it but for now it's a pretty good monitor and it pays to have it on when on the interstates and if I am in a mixed group ride. My brother has a Yamaha Venture and if I ride front we can sort of communicate via CB.. he can at least call me and signal the next 'necessary' break or gas stop. He will see me and I can hear him.. not ideal but it works.

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #10 of 10 Old Mar 16th, 2007, 9:22 am

I use the Kenwood FRS/GMRS unit that is powered from the Autocom cable so I don't have to worry about the batteries - which I did all the time with my Garmin FRS unit - which was a real PITA. They always died at the most inconvenient times.

The splice cable I made was from parts purchased on line based on pin-out information from this site. A great help. I really appreciate whoever posted that information.

Lee Nowell
Black 01, LTC
BMWRA & MOA, AMA, IBA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in