Baehr Whine - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 53 Old Mar 14th, 2007, 8:17 am Thread Starter

Baehr Whine

Installed a Baehr system over the winter. Finally got around to riding the LT with my wife yesterday and was unhappy to find that I get some high pitched engine whine, especially during acceleration. It isn't a clicking sound it is high pitched. I don't really notice it when cruising along but starting from a stop I really notice it. It also (seems, but not 100%sure) that if I touch the brakes it gets louder for a little bit and fades away, but could be my head playing tricks on me. I am running a GPS, ipod and PTT switch up to the handlebars. I ran the cables over the top of the left side of the tank under the stingray. I do have a cable run under the rear set for wife's headset connection. The whine is not loud but it is there and I don't want it there. Any ideas or solution would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks all

Marc Pillis- MSF Rider Coach
Union, Kentucky
2005 LT
2004 R1150GS Adventure
2013 DR650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 Old Mar 14th, 2007, 8:28 am
Senior Member (ret.)

Hi Marc:

Re-route the wires under the seats trying to avoid going near or over the alternator. Make sure all the input connections are well seated. Use some dielectric grease between the connections and tape them up.

Hope this helps. If you still end up with whine, let me know. There are additional options. Albeit costly.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #3 of 53 Old Mar 14th, 2007, 8:45 am
ajs

I have a similar problem and it bothered me and my SO to the point we stopped using the intercom. We have been riding beemers for a long time without one so that wasn't a big deal for us. We are going on a 15,000 km trip across Canada this spring so it might be good to have the intercom operational. When we used it I felt the noise was similar to the old spark interference we used to get on the car radio. It seemed to change with throttle roll on and seemed to disappear at higher speeds. It may have been drowned out by helmet wind noise though. I am presently relocating the Baehr Com unit to somewhere else other than on top of the battery. I will also reroute the connector feeds at the same time and see if that helps. Thanks for the idea Raffyk.

post #4 of 53 Old Mar 14th, 2007, 10:06 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpillis
Installed a Baehr system over the winter. Finally got around to riding the LT with my wife yesterday and was unhappy to find that I get some high pitched engine whine, especially during acceleration. It isn't a clicking sound it is high pitched. I don't really notice it when cruising along but starting from a stop I really notice it. It also (seems, but not 100%sure) that if I touch the brakes it gets louder for a little bit and fades away, but could be my head playing tricks on me. I am running a GPS, ipod and PTT switch up to the handlebars. I ran the cables over the top of the left side of the tank under the stingray. I do have a cable run under the rear set for wife's headset connection. The whine is not loud but it is there and I don't want it there. Any ideas or solution would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks all
Marc,

You mention "clicking sound" is that something common to the Baehr? I just go mine in a couple weeks ago and have clicking. I didn't really notice until this week when the snow finally cleared. I have just kept the radio up to drown it out so far.

I was planning on asking around on the forum and emailing Raffy when time allowed.

Thanks,
Tim

2005 Graphite
The only way to live is in the wind....
post #5 of 53 Old Mar 14th, 2007, 11:28 am
Lifetime Supporter

I've had my Baehr for many months now. I have the clicking sound which I believe is the spark plugs firing (?). Definitely RPM-related, and fortunately it's very subdued -- not cosmic, IMO.

I started getting the faint, high-pitch sound after I had some cables run from the Baehr to the handlebars. My solution will be to purchase the noise filter that Raffy sells. Just haven't gotten around to it yet...

I can't imagine riding two-up without an intercom any more!

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 53 Old Mar 15th, 2007, 12:31 am
Lifetime Supporter

If you have a GPS installed Ive experienced clicking when satellite switches to a different one...matthew
post #7 of 53 Old Mar 15th, 2007, 5:47 am Thread Starter

Update

Did a little testing yesterday. I removed the cables for the FRS and IPOD and I found another connection was not completely plugged in. Went for ride with wife and NO WHINE. Excellent! But it was starting to rain so I could not get her to go back out with me after I plug in the FRS and IPOD cables. Hopefully it was just that one cable not being plugged in all the way. Thanks for all your help. I hope this fixes it because the other option Raffy was talking about is expensive, another $100. Again Thanks to All

Marc Pillis- MSF Rider Coach
Union, Kentucky
2005 LT
2004 R1150GS Adventure
2013 DR650
post #8 of 53 Old Mar 15th, 2007, 7:51 am

The only time I have a problem with crackling noises is when water has gotten into the pillion plug when it was not in use. When it dried out everything was fine. When I first installed the unit there was a slight whine when the pillion was plugged in. I re-routed the wire and the problem went away. I agree with Howard, I can't imagine riding two-up without it.

Brian
Fanwood, NJ
2003 K1200LT Anthracite

"Explain it to me once more: WHY do I have to "Press 1 for English"
post #9 of 53 Old Apr 19th, 2009, 10:57 am

Unhappy Re: Baehr Whine

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaffyK
Hi Marc:

Re-route the wires under the seats trying to avoid going near or over the alternator. Make sure all the input connections are well seated. Use some dielectric grease between the connections and tape them up.

Hope this helps. If you still end up with whine, let me know. There are additional options. Albeit costly.
Just installed my Baehr comm system this week, and I too have the dreaded Beahr whine/clicking. A bit disheartening considering how much this unit costs. My unit is sitting atop the battery as recommended, so obviously, all of the cables are quite near to the alternator. As far as I can tell, there is no other place to put this unit. I'll be calling Raffy tomorrow to ask more about my options.
I have checked all of my connections, they're all tight, and I used dilectric grease on all. Odd thing is....I get this whine all the time (anytime my helmet is plugged in)...regardless of whether I have any other device (radio, cb) turned on or not. When listening to music, the whine is sort of drosned out, so less noticable, but it's always there, and does change pitch with engine speed.

Toolman

I wish I could think of clever things to say in my signature.
post #10 of 53 Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 12:13 am

Re: Baehr Whine

4 years and still whining about the Baehr whining ....
Don't hear it at higher speeds, but down in the low gears and low speeds a real PITA !!

"00" Canyon Red LTI ~ Well Farklized ~ Bug Splattered
Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

T
wisties Required

post #11 of 53 Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 1:30 am
Senior Member (ret.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolman
Just installed my Baehr comm system this week, and I too have the dreaded Beahr whine/clicking. A bit disheartening considering how much this unit costs. My unit is sitting atop the battery as recommended, so obviously, all of the cables are quite near to the alternator. As far as I can tell, there is no other place to put this unit. I'll be calling Raffy tomorrow to ask more about my options.
I have checked all of my connections, they're all tight, and I used dilectric grease on all. Odd thing is....I get this whine all the time (anytime my helmet is plugged in)...regardless of whether I have any other device (radio, cb) turned on or not. When listening to music, the whine is sort of drosned out, so less noticable, but it's always there, and does change pitch with engine speed.

Toolman
You can mount it under the rear seat between the seat and the saddlebag by flipping it over. Or flip it over when on the battery and route the cables from the right side to wherever you need to go.

Try that and let me know.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #12 of 53 Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 12:58 pm

RaffyK, I flipped it over and there was no change...whine/clicking still there. In fact, with the bike running and my helmet connected, I pulled it out of the bike as far as the cables would allow (about 10" away from bike) and there was still no change. I have not tried moving it under the rear seat (between the seat and saddlebag as you suggested) because I simply can't find a place to put it there, not to mention, the cables don't seem long enough to allow this. Besides, given the fact that I got no change (whine/clicking still there) when I removed it from the bike, I'm skeptical that moving it to this new location would help. Got any pictures of a system installed in this location?

Also, have you heard of/seen this fix from Daza? (see attached thumbnail in his thread). He recommends interrupting/cutting the ground wire that powers the Baehr, restoring a pass through wire (to simulate the barrel connection pre-Baehr) and then running a separate ground to the battery. Know anybody who did this? Your thoughts?

Regards,
Toolman

post #13 of 53 Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 5:25 pm

Quote:
I pulled it out of the bike as far as the cables would allow (about 10" away from bike) and there was still no change.
Same case here, no accessories installed. The level of the whine does lower by merely turning on the radio. Input source has no affect. Got a trip to Vegas in a week and sure would love to listen to tunes-without-whine.
post #14 of 53 Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 6:23 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

Quote:
RaffyK, I flipped it over and there was no change...whine/clicking still there. In fact, with the bike running and my helmet connected, I pulled it out of the bike as far as the cables would allow (about 10" away from bike) and there was still no change. I have not tried moving it under the rear seat (between the seat and saddlebag as you suggested) because I simply can't find a place to put it there, not to mention, the cables don't seem long enough to allow this. Besides, given the fact that I got no change (whine/clicking still there) when I removed it from the bike, I'm skeptical that moving it to this new location would help. Got any pictures of a system installed in this location?

Also, have you heard of/seen this fix from Daza? (see attached thumbnail in his thread). He recommends interrupting/cutting the ground wire that powers the Baehr, restoring a pass through wire (to simulate the barrel connection pre-Baehr) and then running a separate ground to the battery. Know anybody who did this? Your thoughts?

Regards,
Toolman

Since the unit is powered from the bike, whine happens in some but not all Baehrs.

I suggest doing what Daza did. Daza has been doing great work with figuring the in and outs of Baehr. It is a cheaper alternative than buying a noise filter cable from Baehr.

Raffy
post #15 of 53 Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 7:26 pm

Has anybody tried a ferrite bead on any of these units with the high pitched whine? What you're describing sounds like common mode signals and they are annoying. In some cases, this can be reduced or eliminated by putting ferrite beads on the wires. It doesn't always work, but its something to try. They are cheap.

Scroll down to the middle of this page for more info: http://www.radioworks.com/crfi.html
post #16 of 53 Old Apr 25th, 2009, 4:21 pm

I have a few more data points to add to the mix. First, I'm pretty sure I'm dealing with more than one issue: both alternator whine (which seems to be intermittant) as well as spark plug/ignition noise (a rapid tick-tick-tick). This post talks about the spark plug noise...

First, I tried Daza's fix which re-routes the common lead and this had no affect. I also tried cutting and rerouting the + lead directly to the battery and this had no affect. I even tried rerouting both the + and the - to a different battery...no affect.

What did have an affect was to disconnect the Baehr completely from the K's speaker harness. As long as I have both power cables cut anyhow, I can get power directly from whatever battery I want to use, but it makes no difference. When the bike was running, connected to either battery, there was ignition noise when the Baehr was connected to the speaker harness. Upon disconnecting, the rapid tick-tick-tick disappeared.

The other thing that seems to make this noise go away is merely turning on the radio, though, when present, turning on the radio does not make the alternator whine go away.

I see from my Clymer's that there is a factory intercom connection to the radio. I wonder if there's a way to wire the Baehr directly into the radio using this interface, by-passing the speaker harness?
post #17 of 53 Old Apr 29th, 2009, 2:08 pm

I have used some noise filters in the past that are not that expensive, cannot remember where I got them, call me and I will find out. Kieth 918-446-2245 They really work.

other things to do, make sure the relay that turns the unit on and off are is only tied to the battery pos and minus. disconnect the wires for each device one at a time and see if the noise goes away, when you find the wire that is picking up the noise move it til the noise goes away. If you cannot get rid ot it that way I have used shielded coax for power wires to keep the noise out, and other times the noise filter is the only thing that works.....Kieth
post #18 of 53 Old Apr 30th, 2009, 11:28 am

I've been following this thread with interest because I don't get any whine/clicking on the Baehr install on my 03 LT. When I first turn the ignition on, I get a low-level electronic buzz which is casued by the Zumo firing up whcih then goes away (it's not there if I remove the Zumo).

Zumo is connected via CAKU-02-01, FRS via CAKF-03-02/CAKS-03-00/CPTT-01-01 and V1 via CAKS-03-02. I didn't fit the Zumo noise filter.

The main unit is mounted on top of the left hand saddlebag. The Zumo cable runs down the left side of the bike, under the stingray, then to the left side of the fairing to the Zumo mounted on a maplight bracket. The V1 cable also runs down the left side of the bike to the V1 audio interface in the oddments box. The FRS radio is in the trunk.

All of the accessories are powered/grounded from a Centech fuse box under the seat.

Has there been any consideration to the year of LT on which the problems occur. Are there potential problems caused by the difference in the radio etc. on 05 onwards that may cause the noise?
post #19 of 53 Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 11:07 am

Quote:

Regards,
Toolman
I finally got around to re-routing my ground wires as detailed in the fix from Daza above. Unfortunately, it didn't solve the problem. The whine is still there. It's a rather low volume whine, changing pitch with engine speed (so obviously alternator or ignition related), but I'd really like to eliminate this whine if possible as it get rather annoying after a days worth of riding. Raffy, any advice? I seems logical to assume that this whine is coming from the Baehr unit since it's always there (when my helmet is plugged in)...whether my radio is on or not.

Regards,
Toolman

post #20 of 53 Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 11:38 am
Senior Member (ret.)

I'll respond tonight when I get home.

Raffy
post #21 of 53 Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 12:04 pm

Don't have a Baehr, but I do occasionally get high-pitched noise introduced into the BMW system (frequency same as engine speed, etc). I found the 3.5 mm adio plug going from the gps/ xm into the comm system does not seat completely tight. I move it around until the noise goes away. next time the noise comes back, I move it around until the noise goes away. I'll look at a more permanent solution later.

This type problem is typically a loose connection/ bad solder joints.
post #22 of 53 Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 12:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCrider
....This type problem is typically a loose connection/ bad solder joints.
Oh I wish it were that simple.

post #23 of 53 Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 7:09 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I put up with several different electronic noise gremlins in my Baehr system for 2 years. A clicking noise, RPM-related. A high-pitched whine, also RPM-related. Some occasional other noises, all irritating.

I installed the Baehr noise filter cable. Worth every single penny. I only regret that I let it sit on my desk for a full year before taking 3 1/2 minutes to install it. It's not cheap, but it works perfectly. Intercom and radio are completely noise-free now, and have been since I installed it a few months ago.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #24 of 53 Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 7:18 pm

Would you mind trying to get the part number? There are several noise elimination products on the Baehr web site.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
I put up with several different electronic noise gremlins in my Baehr system for 2 years. A clicking noise, RPM-related. A high-pitched whine, also RPM-related. Some occasional other noises, all irritating.
I installed the Baehr noise filter cable. Worth every single penny. I only regret that I let it sit on my desk for a full year before taking 3 1/2 minutes to install it. It's not cheap, but it works perfectly. Intercom and radio are completely noise-free now, and have been since I installed it a few months ago.
post #25 of 53 Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 8:01 pm

Here is another thread about it.
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35027

I got my NS cable from Raffy but I don't see it on his site.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #26 of 53 Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 8:49 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smahon
Would you mind trying to get the part number? There are several noise elimination products on the Baehr web site.
I'm not certain, but I think this is it:

ZBI-CAEF-01-02
Audio noise filter for '05 R1200RT.
MSRP: $89.95

I'm not certain, because it says "R1200RT" in the description. Mine looks just like this. Raffy can tell you for certain!

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #27 of 53 Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 9:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
I'm not certain, but I think this is it:

ZBI-CAEF-01-02
Audio noise filter for '05 R1200RT.
MSRP: $89.95
Ah-ha! Armed with your part #, I played with the 02's and 01's and Google found this on the Baehr site under cables for the Ultima XL:

ZBI-CAEF-02-02
Audio noise filter for '05 K1200LT.
MSRP: $98.95

Now I just need to find someone that sells it!

post #28 of 53 Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 12:16 am
Senior Member (ret.)

^ That be the one.

Good luck finding one. I sent you an email response.

Raffy
post #29 of 53 Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 3:50 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smahon
Ah-ha! Armed with your part #, I played with the 02's and 01's and Google found this on the Baehr site under cables for the Ultima XL:

ZBI-CAEF-02-02
Audio noise filter for '05 K1200LT.
MSRP: $98.95

Now I just need to find someone that sells it!
Well if and when you do, please don't keep it a secret.
I need one too.

Still -
Just a dog without a bone ~...............

CCR '09 Great trip!, 2010 Miles of smiles, 2011 Can this possibly get better? 2012 a Superior trip!

2004 K1200LT - ZZ Trailer
1983 R100
BMWMOA #158807 Michiana BMW Club #122
post #30 of 53 Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 7:26 am

Quote:
Good luck finding one.
You can't order them Raffy? Thought you were an authorized Baehr distributor.

post #31 of 53 Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 7:32 am

I just ordered a cable from New Zeland. http://www.challengermotors.co.nz/ (thanks Raffy). It was shipped the same day and I received it 8 days later. Shipping was not that bad.

As of now there's not a USA distributer.
post #32 of 53 Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 8:50 am

Carneym, Did you get the noise suppressor cable? (CAEF-02-02, aka AEF-02-02) I don't see it listed on their website. If so, what was the final cost shipped to the US?

Failing this New Zealand distributor, I found a seller that has 10 of these cables on the German eBay site. Click here I've asked the seller if they will ship the US..and am waiting for a reply.

Last edited by Toolman; Jun 23rd, 2009 at 9:16 am.
post #33 of 53 Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 9:21 am

The weird thing is, even though I have an '05, this cable does not match up to the plugs on my com unit, which are big and bulky and connect to the plugs for the rear speakers under the passenger seat. They look nothing like this, so anything I buy would have to be spliced in.
Quote:
^ That be the one.

Good luck finding one. I sent you an email response.
post #34 of 53 Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 9:36 am
Senior Member (ret.)

What intercom unit do you have? If it is the LT specific, then the cable attaches betweem the black box and the Baehr intercom.

Check your PM.

Raffy
post #35 of 53 Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 11:15 am

I suspect smahon and myself have the same (LT Specific) Baehr system. If so, then;

Smahon, there are three wire bundles and plugs coming off of that Baehr black box. You have the two big barrel connectors (as you've noted) which tie into the bike under the pillion seat, but then there's another smaller wire bundle and plug (a 7 pin DIN connector) coming off the black box too....this is the one that plugs into the main Baehr system/case itself and is what "pipes" in the 12v power as well as the bikes music system (speakers +/-) into the Baehr. It this smaller 7pin DIN plug that you would unplug, and then plug in (in line) the new noise suppresor cable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Baehr.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	23514  

Last edited by Toolman; Jun 23rd, 2009 at 11:31 am.
post #36 of 53 Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 11:55 am

Yes, I see that now. Whoever installed it put that connection in shrinkwrap, so upon initial inspection it looked like a splice.
Quote:
I suspect smahon and myself have the same (LT Specific) Baehr system. If so, then;

Smahon, there are three wire bundles and plugs on that beahr black box. You have the two big barrel connectors (as you've noted) which tie into the bike under the pillion seat, but then there's another smaller wire bundle and plug (a 7 pin DIN connector) coming off the black box too....this is the one that plugs into the actual Baehr system/case itself and is what "pipes" in the 12v power as well as the bikes music system (speakers +/-) into the Baehr. It this smaller 7pin DIN plug that you would unplug, and then plug in (in line) the new noise suppresor cable.
post #37 of 53 Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 12:30 pm

I did the same thing on my connection...sealed it with heat shrink tubing. I did that mainly to keep moisture out, and prevent it from unplugging itself.

Have you found a source for the AEF-02-02 noise supressor yet? The guy who is selling them on the German eBay site said that he will indeed ship them to the US. I'm currently negotiating with him in terms of cost. The item is listed at a € 79.99 Buy it Now price (which is about $112). Then he wants € 9.55 for shipping (so another $13.40) for a total of $125 'ish....which is kind of steep in my opinion.

I'll let you know if I can swing a better deal with him. Let me know if you're interested...maybe if I tell him that I'll buy two....he might give me a better price.

Regards,
John

Last edited by Toolman; Jun 23rd, 2009 at 12:41 pm.
post #38 of 53 Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 9:10 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Trust me: I'd buy it again, at $125 - or even more. The darn thing solved all my electrical noise issues.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #39 of 53 Old Jun 24th, 2009, 7:23 am

Carneym, Did you get the noise suppressor cable? (CAEF-02-02, aka AEF-02-02) I don't see it listed on their website. If so, what was the final cost shipped to the US?

No, I got a helmet cable. Try giving them a call, they may be able to get the cable you need.
post #40 of 53 Old Jun 24th, 2009, 11:58 am

I ended up buying this one from a seller on the German eBay site. Good practice for my rusty Deutsch!

Two other forum members were also interested, so because I was buying three of them, the seller threw in free shipping. I'm looking forward to noise free intercom system. I sure hope this cures the problem.

Regards, Toolman

post #41 of 53 Old Jun 24th, 2009, 12:06 pm

Quote:
I'm looking forward to noise free intercom system.
me2
post #42 of 53 Old Jul 19th, 2009, 10:44 am

Unhappy Re: Baehr Whine

Just a quick update on my Baehr whine problem.

I've finally received and installed the (rather pricey - $114) noise supression cable, part number AEF-02-02, for my Baehr intercom system.

Since availabiltiy of this cable is quite limited here in the US, I ended up buying three of them (one for me, two for a couple of other forum members) from Baehr in Germany. I'm VERY disappointed to report that the noise supression cable hasn't helped a bit. The whine/clicking is still there. Hence, I'm quite interested in the recent ground loop isolator threads. As soon as I can fiugure out what it is, and where to install, I'll likely be trying that.

At this point, I've tried;

1) Daza's fix by running a separate ground wire to the intercomm.
2) Moving the intercaom unit itself
3) re-routing cables away
4) the Baehr noise supression cable

...none of which have helped. I must say that considering how much money I have invested in this intercom system (approx $1300), I'm very disappointed to have to listen to this whine/clicking. The only thing that has helped so far, is to wear ear plugs, which cuts down on the high frequency sounds, and really helps to drown out the whine sound.

Regards,
Toolman

post #43 of 53 Old Jul 21st, 2009, 8:24 pm

I am one of the two other recipients of the cable than Toolman purchased and I too am dissappointed that the cable has had no affect with my alternator whine issue. However, the cable has had some success eliminating my ignition/clicking sound, but ONLY if I run my device (blackberry) off of its own battery power or powered from the rear power outlet. If I run power to one of the front power outlets I still get that clicking. I should point out that without the cable this noise was significantly worse when my device was powered vs operating on battery.
post #44 of 53 Old Jul 21st, 2009, 9:39 pm

Sorry that cable didn't help you fellas, it helped my issue considerably. That cable fixes the noise that comes from the stereo power interconnect. Noise can sneak in from the other cables including the interfaces you are not using. I find its better to dangle the unused interfaces down next to the battery. I have noise filter on my garmin, but not the cable for my 2 way radio, and it did matter how I ran the cables to that. I hope you can find a way to reduce that noise.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #45 of 53 Old Jul 24th, 2009, 10:37 am

Thumbs up Re: Baehr Whine

Another update.

I decided to start from square one in diagnosing my whine/clicking problem. So, I started by systematically unplugging other devices that were feeding into the Baehr. This didn't take very long, since I only have one [device]...that being, my J&M handlebar mounted CB radio (JMCB-2003-SL). The only other signals that go into my baehr are from the radio itself.

Anyway....that was it. As soon as I unplugged the J&M CB, 'voila...silence. No more whine or clicking.

I had incorrectly assumed that if the J&M radio wasn't turned on, it couldn't possibly be responsible for the noise. I was wrong, and it seems a ground loop problem can exist regardless of whether the offending device is powered up. At least, that certainly seems to be the case here. So, I will soon be working on sorting out this ground loop issue on the J&M CB. Funny thing is, my Baehr and J&M are grounded at the same location (battery). Yes, I changed the grounding location for the Baehr (using Daza's fix, as stated in my earlier replies to this thread)

The one thing I didn't do last night was remove my new baehr noise supression cable to see if it's even doing anything for me. I may try that tonight...although that would only serve to frustrate me in knowing that I spent another $114 (for this noise supression cable) on this already overpriced intercom system!!
Regards, Toolman

post #46 of 53 Old Jul 24th, 2009, 4:37 pm

I know this might sound silly, but does the noise go away if you disconnect the external antenna from the radio? If it does, then you have narrowed it down further.
post #47 of 53 Old Jul 26th, 2009, 9:49 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCrider
...This type problem is typically a loose connection/ bad solder joints.
Quote:
Oh I wish it were that simple.
A rule of elecronics I learned in my military career (I was an ET as well as an electronics instructor for many years.... many years ago), when a strange or intermittent problem pops up that wasn't there before, first check all the things you may have done, esp wiring and solder. It took me many years to learn this the hard way. Fortunately, I learned on the govts dime and not my own.

Looks like you'll soon be riding without the annoying "hornets" flying around in your helmet!

Norwood and LaNett Dennis
12 K1600 GTL
08 K1200LT (sold)
07 Ural Gear-Up Arctic (for sale to get a Spyder)
01 K1200LT (sold)

"Not all those who wander are Lost," J.R.R. Tolkien
post #48 of 53 Old Aug 17th, 2009, 8:05 am

Another update on my quest for silence.

I installed a ground loop isolator from Radio Shack, inline on the interface cable that goes from my J&M CB radio to my Baehr unit. This was no easy task..and was akin to brain surgery. Anyway, it was delicate work, but I got it done. Unfortunately, it didn't work. I could only get sound out of one side (yes, I checked and rechecked all the connections). If I turned the volume on the J&M all the way up, the other channel would begin to crackle. My theory is...that the J&M unit just didn't have enough ooomph (technical term) to punch through the radio shack GLI. Anyway, no matter because the single channel that I did have, still had the noise. So, I'm now wondering two things.

1) Are GLI's directional? The instructions that came with the radio shack GLI said nothing about which way to hook it up.
2) Could the noise be from the 12V power supply? The J&M came with a noise filter on the power supply, but perhaps it's inadequate?

I don't know...I'm stumped here, and am almost ready to call "calf rope" on this one...and just live with the noise. I REALLY tired of throwing money at this problem.

post #49 of 53 Old Aug 17th, 2009, 8:53 am

GLI's (ground loop isolator) are not directional. It's simply a 60 hz filter that shunts the noise to ground.

Power supplies are notorious noise generators, along with solder connections and anywhere there is a loose (plug in) connector. Could be filtering problems within the power supply.

Norwood and LaNett Dennis
12 K1600 GTL
08 K1200LT (sold)
07 Ural Gear-Up Arctic (for sale to get a Spyder)
01 K1200LT (sold)

"Not all those who wander are Lost," J.R.R. Tolkien
post #50 of 53 Old Aug 17th, 2009, 10:04 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
... I don't know...I'm stumped here, and am almost ready to call "calf rope" on this one...and just live with the noise. I REALLY tired of throwing money at this problem.
Valparaiso, IN is about 6 hours from Rushville, OH. Is there any value in meeting half-way, and we put my Baehr noise suppression cable on your bike? The cable solved all my noise problems. What are the odds you got a bad cable...?

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in